Photo

Fol Epi bakery | Victoria | Harbour Rd. (Dockside Green)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Artisan baker Cliff Leir is open and selling bread and pastries as Fol Epi.
Co-founder of Wild Fire, Leir also baked for a few years adjacent to the Princess Mary, making his delicious organic levain bread and croissants in his handbuilt outdoor oven. The oven was recently moved to its permanent space in Dockside Green where Leir encased it in brick and stone. Two grain silos sit outside the space and a stone mill - also built by Leir - to grind wheat fresh every day, were also installed.
The space is au naturel with lots of light, brick and salvaged wood.
Baguettes, rye and spelt breads and lots of moreish croissants, pain au chocolate, and other decadent pastries, lunchtime pizzas and quiche are also on offer. Coffee is served next door by Caffe Fantastico. Tuesday to Saturday 7:30 to 5 pm

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

His stuff is pricey, but very good

#3 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

His stuff is pricey, but very good

I do recall his prices being higher for a time but baguettes are $3.75 and loaves are $5.50. They also have a selection of mini pastries for .75.
Considering the heritage Red Fife wheat used is ground on-site fresh everyday, bread is made with a wild yeast and all the ingredients used including sugar, butter, vanilla, raisins and other fruit is 100 percent organic, it's worth it to treat yourself every now and then.

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

I do recall his prices being higher for a time but baguettes are $3.75 and loaves are $5.50. They also have a selection of mini pastries for .75.
Considering the heritage Red Fife wheat used is ground on-site fresh everyday, bread is made with a wild yeast and all the ingredients used including sugar, butter, vanilla, raisins and other fruit is 100 percent organic, it's worth it to treat yourself every now and then.

His prices are reasonable for what he does and better than others, but he is still MUCH higher than my local bakery run by Dave Hagedorn (Art's Bakery on Burnside)

#5 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Went there last week and do agree with Bernard, very good but pricey. The coffee by Caffe Fantastico was excellent and not pricey :)
I wish both good luck and success!

#6 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the tips you guys! I'll be checking them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users