• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#141 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

Here is the original 2014 CBC report:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...niors-1.2765086

"As your example states, we process payments and provide full refunds when requested," reads the statement sent by Kim Krenzler, VP Human Resources at Revenue Wire Inc.

"SafeCart is a payment processing service and as such, when customers request a refund for payments processed through SafeCart, we comply. As you can see from our 'A' Rating, we address each complaint accordingly and in a timely manner."

In fact the Better Business Bureau has closed 175 complaints against SafeCart.com in the past three years, and 73 in the last year alone.

Tech expert Graham Williams says it is in the interests of companies like Safecart.com and Fast Fix 123 to make a quick refund because if too many charge backs from credit cards show up through a payment processing company, it raises a red flag.

"They become suspect and the charge company no longer wants to do business with them," Williams said.

He notes that legitimate tech giants such as Microsoft, Google and Apple are never going to call you and request access to your computer.

"So if you get that phone call, hang up immediately."

Interview with Leach scrubbed: Nothing to see here, folks--move along!

https://www.alacrity...of-revenuewire/

Listen: computer repair scams are only slightly less notorious than Nigerian prince banking scams. Everyone in the clubby local tech business knew Bobbi was running a company doing shady business but they turned a blind eye. Why?

#142 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

I can guarantee that nobody looking to fund a business in Victoria or any business looking to move here gives a rat about the members of the Viatec board. They care about the exchange rate, the cheap cost of labour, the relatively stable workforce and tax credits. 

• m3m likes this

#143 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:50 AM

I can guarantee that nobody looking to fund a business in Victoria or any business looking to move here gives a rat about the members of the Viatec board. 

then why does viatec get government funding?

• Rob Randall likes this

#144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

Here is the original 2014 CBC report:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...niors-1.2765086

Interview with Leach scrubbed: Nothing to see here, folks--move along!

https://www.alacrity...of-revenuewire/

Listen: computer repair scams are only slightly less notorious than Nigerian prince banking scams. Everyone in the clubby local tech business knew Bobbi was running a company doing shady business but they turned a blind eye. Why?

So what do you expect the Viatec to do based on a CBC report about one of the 800 firms in town? What did any association do about League? What did any association do about Ian Thow?

Besides, by the time the CBC story came out, Revenuewire had already started to implement changes per the FTC report.

#145 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:52 AM

then why does viatec get government funding?

Because they make MPs and MLAs look very good. Why does any NPO get Government funding?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#146 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

I don't buy the argument Viatec is a non-entity. Then why not just shut it down if its efforts are so inconsequential?

#147 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

Lets call a spade a spade here. There is a power struggle going on in Victoria between various "economic" agencies who in my opinion are simply trying to justify their own overpriced, worthless existence. The intent here (in my opinion) is to line their own pockets with more Government money at the expense of Viatec.

#148 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:57 AM

I don't buy the argument Viatec is a non-entity. Then why not just shut it down if its efforts are so inconsequential?

Who said they were a non-entity. I said they have nothing to do with Revenuewire or enforcement of any actions or standards on the tech community. They are an advocacy group and not a regulatory body. 

In my opinion they are the ONLY group that has done anything for the tech community beyond collecting money and do up fancy powerpoints. Check out their website if you want to see the range of activities they are involved with.

#149 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:27 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't League's misdeeds happen very fast? People were raising an eyebrow about their last financing deal but the whole house of cards collapsed suddenly.

I think a lot of the local media like Douglas are to blame for doing puff interviews and completely sidestepping the major issue that this company was profiting from misleading seniors. Meanwhile, Bobbi is getting leadership awards left and right and hobnobbing with politicians. 

I just find it funny that yesterday Bobbi was an inspirational revered local leader and today the entire industry is shocked--shocked to find money laundering going on and everyone's suddenly washed their hands.

#150 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

So what do you expect the Viatec to do based on a CBC report about one of the 800 firms in town? 

If I was on the Viatec board I would have hesitated in recommending her for the board. At least I would have said, hey guys, do we really want to go here?

• VIResident likes this

#151 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

If I was on the Viatec board I would have hesitated in recommending her for the board. At least I would have said, hey guys, do we really want to go here?

Viatec is unusual in the sense that they always have more board candidates then they have open slots. As a result, there is no such thing as a board appointment or slate, every person is elected by the membership. I would note that some of the people who have complained the loudest are Viatec members and thus would have been eligible to vote if they chose to do so. 

#152 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:41 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't League's misdeeds happen very fast? People were raising an eyebrow about their last financing deal but the whole house of cards collapsed suddenly.

I think a lot of the local media like Douglas are to blame for doing puff interviews and completely sidestepping the major issue that this company was profiting from misleading seniors. Meanwhile, Bobbi is getting leadership awards left and right and hobnobbing with politicians. 

I just find it funny that yesterday Bobbi was an inspirational revered local leader and today the entire industry is shocked--shocked to find money laundering going on and everyone's suddenly washed their hands.

League had structural problems from the start but they were exasperated by the Colwood corners project.

#153 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:53 AM

Lets call a spade a spade here. There is a power struggle going on in Victoria between various "economic" agencies who in my opinion are simply trying to justify their own overpriced, worthless existence. The intent here (in my opinion) is to line their own pockets with more Government money at the expense of Viatec.

"at the expense of Viatec" - not sure of your meaning here?

#154 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:54 AM

One of the first comments on made about tech on VV years ago was about the conflict between new and old money in Victoria. Until 2000, the people with money in Victoria were families with holdings in real estate, construction, automotive, financial services and retail. Most of that was intergenerational wealth and the families contributed to the community in service and money. 

Since 2000 we have created the "instant" (comparatively speaking) tech millionaire or billionaire. Young(er) people who have in a relatively short period of time created sensational wealth for themselves, in some cases an order of magnitude beyond what the wealthiest families in Victoria have been able to achieve in a lifetime or more. Since their businesses are global in nature, there are not the same ties to Victoria. Every once in a while someone will jet set here, drop $100K on a charity and then fly out, but for the most part they don't get involved and pay no homage to chose who have built careers here. 

I think the one strategic errors Viatec made a few years back was positioning themselves as the #1 industry in Victoria. That created an us vs them mentality and inflamed old wounds. I think that any time there is a chance now to take a swipe at tech or Viatec then there are people who will take that on.

• rjag likes this

#155 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

One of the first comments on made about tech on VV years ago was about the conflict between new and old money in Victoria. Until 2000, the people with money in Victoria were families with holdings in real estate, construction, automotive, financial services and retail. Most of that was intergenerational wealth and the families contributed to the community in service and money. 

Since 2000 we have created the "instant" (comparatively speaking) tech millionaire or billionaire. Young(er) people who have in a relatively short period of time created sensational wealth for themselves, in some cases an order of magnitude beyond what the wealthiest families in Victoria have been able to achieve in a lifetime or more. Since their businesses are global in nature, there are not the same ties to Victoria. Every once in a while someone will jet set here, drop $100K on a charity and then fly out, but for the most part they don't get involved and pay no homage to chose who have built careers here. 

I think the one strategic errors Viatec made a few years back was positioning themselves as the #1 industry in Victoria. That created an us vs them mentality and inflamed old wounds. I think that any time there is a chance now to take a swipe at tech or Viatec then there are people who will take that on.

Gotcha.  Thanks for that.  In large part makes sense, and a 'symptom' older than dirt, globally.

#156 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:08 PM

League had structural problems from the start but they were exasperated by the Colwood corners project.

League was exasperated by the 2008 financial crisis as they were leveraging their own mortgages to themselves several times over and when the credit market dried up then their ponzi scheme collapsed. 

As for Viatec, I was an active member from the beginning when they were in the RBC building on Fort. I was actively involved in the CEO roundtable and the Sidney breakfast Club which still runs today but under a different auspices by John Juricic. I was there before they hired Dan as a salesguy. My history runs deep with that group , Bill Cook, Colin Skene etc

A lot has changed in 30 odd years some of it positive, some negative. They'll survive as that industry has lifespans measured in months not decades so there will always be a fresh supply of tech-preneurs with the latest idea willing to play the game

Edited by rjag, 01 May 2020 - 12:09 PM.

#157 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

League was exasperated by the 2008 financial crisis as they were leveraging their own mortgages to themselves several times over and when the credit market dried up then their ponzi scheme collapsed. 

My point was that I was under the impression League was well-respected until their unexpected collapse whereas RevenueWire began under a dark cloud and had to work many years to atone for (or erase) their history of misdeeds and shady business practices to a point of respectability.

It just reminds me of the Vancouver Stock Exchange of the 1980s. Champagne all round but don't ask too many questions!

Edited by Rob Randall, 01 May 2020 - 12:15 PM.

• rjag likes this

#158 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:33 PM

There were people tripping on League since day one. 

#159 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

There were people tripping on League since day one. 

If that was the case then history is repeating itself here with pats on the back and industry puff pieces extolling the virtues of the company while everyone whispers behind the scenes. 

Does every city have these problems because it seems Victoria produces more than their fair share of these characters.

I really want Ross Crockford to write the definitive book. Ian Thow, Baron Von Bothmer etc.

#160 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 01:11 PM

If that was the case then history is repeating itself here with pats on the back and industry puff pieces extolling the virtues of the company while everyone whispers behind the scenes. 

Does every city have these problems because it seems Victoria produces more than their fair share of these characters.

I really want Ross Crockford to write the definitive book. Ian Thow, Baron Von Bothmer etc.

Sad question really and not the first to ask. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users