City of Victoria - 2014-2018 Mayor and Council General Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#1441 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Presumably, this does not include replacing the Crystal Pool.

2018 budget would only include expenses in 2018. Planning for the new pool is included (possibly as the $2.6mil for "facilitites" in the capital works section), but construction won't be included until the replacement is approved

#1442 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

I find it insane that they are calling for a 4% increase when you consider the growth of all of the sources of revenue in recent years:

• higher density = more tax per sq. m. collected
  • building permit fees
  • development cost charges
  • rezonings
  • variances
  • water and sewer connection charges
  • parking fines
  • Etc. etc.

With the crazy growth going on in the City proper in the last few years the amount of revenue from all of these sources must have grown substantially. The City should be in the black right now and this increase is a glaring evidence of fiscal mismanagement. I think that the City would be wise to put any major projects on the back burner until some financial literacy prevails.

Victoria has used the extra funds to hire extra staff. Typical empire building.

#1443 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

New York State projected a $4.4 bil deficit.

Oops, I missed that. Apparently NYC runs a surplus, although it seems the actual numbers vary depending on complicated funding arrangements between the city and the state for things like subway work.

#1444 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Yup, its thrown about these days like a badge ....however you forget the Progressive Conservative Party aka the PC's..... 

There's a rumour they've dropped the "progressive" part of the name.

• rjag likes this

#1445 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

There's a rumour they've dropped the "progressive" part of the name.

So clearly a tongue in cheek comment; however, the meaning of the word progressive has changed over the years. The so-called “progressives” of today look very little like the rural agrarian Progressivism movement of the 1920s, who merged with the Conservative Party of Canada in 1942. Hence resulting in what we would see today as the paradoxically named (and now defunct) “Progressive Conservative Party of Canada.”

Edited by Bob Fugger, 27 May 2018 - 12:18 PM.

• rjag and jonny like this

#1446 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

So clearly a tongue in cheek comment; however, the meaning of the word progressive has changed over the years. The so-called “progressives” of today look very little like the rural agrarian Progressivism movement of the 1920s, who merged with the Conservative Party of Canada in 1942. Hence resulting in what we would see today as the paradoxically named (and now defunct) “Progressive Conservative Party of Canada.”

And the same can be said for todays NDP which is nothing like the CCF of Tommy Douglas day. Heck Tommy Douglas would be vilified by the SJW's running the Orange Machine

#1447 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

Since when is subsidizing housing a municipal issue?  I think the city should be filling in potholes, not subsidizing housing. 

The Provincial Government seems to be pushing this shift as part of their "what can we download to municipalities" approach as of late.

On top of the Employer Health Tax hitting municipalities hard next year (Helps says 2% of the tax increase is to cover that) they also decided that the Hotel Tax funds which used to go towards destination marketing/Tourism Victoria can now be used by municipalities to build affordable housing. In Victoria that amounts to about $4 million.

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#1448 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

The Provincial Government seems to be pushing this shift as part of their "what can we download to municipalities" approach as of late.

On top of the Employer Health Tax hitting municipalities hard next year (Helps says 2% of the tax increase is to cover that) they also decided that the Hotel Tax funds which used to go towards destination marketing/Tourism Victoria can now be used by municipalities to build affordable housing. In Victoria that amounts to about $4 million.

While I agree with your general comment re downloading of costs, the latter is not really an example of it because it's still up to the muni to decide what they're going to spend the municipal hotel tax on.  It's just now they have another option.

#1449 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

$5.3 million for 2018 projected.  A portion of that should be used for affordable housing as Tourism Victoria cried and cried about the lack of affordable housing available to their industry staff because of short term rentals - not because they pay them crap wages and wanted to kill the the competition the STRs were creating with hotels.......a terrific opportunity to walk the walk, which I'm sure they won't.  Let's not forget that Tourism Victoria received a 50% increase in hotel tax revenue in January 2017 when the rate went from 2% to 3% with city council's blessing.

• rjag, Bob Fugger and lanforod like this

#1450 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

$5.3 million for 2018 projected.  A portion of that should be used for affordable housing as Tourism Victoria cried and cried about the lack of affordable housing available to their industry staff because of short term rentals - not because they pay them crap wages and wanted to kill the the competition the STRs were creating with hotels.......a terrific opportunity to walk the walk, which I'm sure they won't.  Let's not forget that Tourism Victoria received a 50% increase in hotel tax revenue in January 2017 when the rate went from 2% to 3% with city council's blessing.

YES!!!  I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed their oily hypocrisy when the STVR bylaw was up at Public Hearing.  Passionately bemoaning at the mic how their hotel staff can't even afford to live in the City because it's soooo expensive because of the lack of supply exacerbated by STVR.  They should now be thrilled that part of that revenue will be going to affordable housing! Suckers!

EDIT:  Oops, I understand now that Mayor Moonbeam won't be redirecting any of this money to affordable housing.  And why would she, when she just saddled taxpayers with the bill for affordable housing?

http://www.timescolo...says-1.23182974

Edited by Bob Fugger, 29 May 2018 - 12:17 PM.

#1451 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

Presumably, this does not include replacing the Crystal Pool.

Important point - it does not.

...or any commitment the city might make on our behalf to spend twice as much money to preserve Vic High than the cost to replace it with a bigger, safer building.  Madoff should be ashamed of herself for this - her obsession with her "hobby" is going to cost us tens of millions of dollars for a pretty (but acknowledged, not important) building that a fraction of our community cares about.

What's mind-blowing about it is this...

Ask the city what our infrastructure deficit is, in $, and they can't tell us - seriously - they're just beginning to estimate it.  If Oak Bay's estimate is any guide, we've only begun to see the tax increases.  But the school is a priority?!

#1452 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

YES!!!  I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed their oily hypocrisy when the STVR bylaw was up at Public Hearing.  Passionately bemoaning at the mic how their hotel staff can't even afford to live in the City because it's soooo expensive because of the lack of supply exacerbated by STVR.  They should now be thrilled that part of that revenue will be going to affordable housing! Suckers!

EDIT:  Oops, I understand now that Mayor Moonbeam won't be redirecting any of this money to affordable housing.  And why would she, when she just saddled taxpayers with the bill for affordable housing?

Any grasp that the Mayor thinks she has left on power comes from the development and tourism communities who have kept quiet on contentious issues like bike lanes. No way she is going to upset them now by trying to tap into tourist funds.

#1453 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

STR's are another bs distraction and, yes, it serves the hotel industry in Vic nicely to get us all to focus here.  The hotel industry in Vic doesn't do itself any favours outside of lobbying, pretty poor pr... as example, the group has been asked to contribute to Symphony Splash and their reason for not doing so is they claim they don't benefit.  (No-one walking around downtown that day can take this very seriously.)  Has anyone here seen any math to show exactly how many STRs are a potential long-term rental unit?  And for what demographic?  

We don't seem to expect much in the way of evidence here....

But, its hard for our city to insist on data (from Tourism Victoria, for example) to support an argument from a lobbying group when the city doesn't exercise evidence-based decision making for itself.

• rjag likes this

#1454 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

I am going to sleep better at night knowing that my Council has found a way to isolate the CoV's climate from the rest of the world.

Victoria council has adopted an action plan that aims to reduce greenhouse gases in the municipality by 80 per cent below 2007 levels by 2050, while transitioning to 100 per cent renewable energy...

https://www.vicnews....eadership-plan/

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1455 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:39 PM

I am going to sleep better at night knowing that my Council has found a way to isolate the CoV's climate from the rest of the world.

Don't pat them too hard on the back.  Our climate goals will be shattered by the increase in emissions of smug, which has been known to cause cities like San Francisco to disappear up its own a$$hole.

• Nparker, LJ and RFS like this

#1456 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

By 2041, 80% of all trips downtown will be by transit, bicycle or walking. By 2030, 30% of all vehicles will be electric, 100% of all passenger vehicles by 2050.

I will start holding my breathe!

#1457 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

By 2041, 80% of all trips downtown will be by transit, bicycle or walking. By 2030, 30% of all vehicles will be electric, 100% of all passenger vehicles by 2050.

I will start holding my breathe!

I could see that for leisure trips and commuters. Commercial traffic, not a chance.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

Lol. Remember when peak oil was predicted by 1995? Then by 2020? Now it's what, 2030?

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1459 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

...I will start holding my breath!

In order to reduce CO2 emissions?  ;)

• spanky123 and A Girl is No one like this

#1460 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Only way to get 100% of vehicles to electric would be to outlaw ICE cars. There will always be collectors at the very least.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)