BUILT
Turnberry
Use: subdivision
Address: Champions Court at Bear Mountain Parkway
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Turnberry is a two phase, 51 home subdivision at the Bear Mountain development in the municipality of Langford... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turnberry on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford + Highlands] Bear Mountain | 4,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
2162 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This appeared in the New York Times last month....

http://travel2.nytim... ... break.html

Rendering of new Clubhouse building at Bear Mountain Resort in Victoria, B.C.

By NICK KAYE
Published: April 28, 2006
WHAT Resort community, golf destination, hotel and spa.

WHERE Victoria, British Columbia.

AMENITIES An 18-hole golf course and another under construction; a full-service spa, athletic club and restaurants.

PRICES Home sites from one to one and a half acres start at $856,000; town houses from 2,800 to 3,600 square feet, at $1.2 million; condominiums from 530 to 1,800 square feet, at $252,000; and fractional-ownership properties from 1,900 to 2,600 square feet , at $213,000 for a quarter share.

STATUS Available now or in the next few months are 9 home sites, more than 400 condominiums, 7 town houses and 22 fractional-ownership town houses. The development is expected to be completed in 10 to 12 years.

DEVELOPER The resort was created by Len Barrie, a former hockey player; several other hockey players are investors.

CONTACT 888-533-2327, http://www.bearmountain.ca.

DETAILS On 1,300 acres overlooking Victoria, the resort is less than a half hour from the city. The Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa is on the property. A new six-story clubhouse to open on Monday has a 12,000-square-foot spa and three restaurants. The separate athletic club has a heated, outdoor saltwater pool. The resort features a 7,083-yard golf course designed by Steve and Jack Nicklaus; another 18-hole course, designed by Steve Nicklaus, is expected to open in 2008. The $2.1 billion plan calls for 1,112 single-family home lots, 1,997 condos, 220 town houses and more than 1,000 fractional-ownership town houses.

Breaking Ground is a weekly look at projects, planned or under construction, that include weekend or vacation homes.

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

More Bear Mountain

And here are those two towers approved atop Bear Mountain. So long as downtown doesn't stoop this low it's all good :tup:

Soaring Peaks - 20-storeys

The Highlander - 14-storeys

#3 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

Rumour has it that 5 plus more towers in the 30 - 35 story range are in the planning in Bear mountain.

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

Here's the other side of the Highlander

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:17 PM

See, the tower proposed by a Victoria devleoper (the Highlander) actually looks like a high-quality project, but the 20-storey tower (Towering Peaks) proposed by Edmonton developers looks ridiculous.

And sad thing is, much of what's about to happen atop Bear Mountain might be in the hands of Edmonton developers :shock:

Development in Edmonton isn't so hot (it's like they're stuck in the 80s) and now a wave of such proposals might be heading out here. The community at-large, of course, has the ability to encourage Langford's council to demand more architectural significance from high-profile developments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:28 PM

The amazing thing is, the largest one day sale of condo in Victoria History, is held by the Bear Mountain team.

66 million dollars in Condo Sales in one day, was the total when the Bear Mountain condos hit the market.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:34 PM

By Albertan's for Albertan's. They have yet to discover what west coast architecture is actually all about ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

The Mayor of Langford has stated until the Bear Mountain overpass is complete no construction will happen on the back side of the mountian, and that the current zoning at 5000 units should be maintain "until" the overpass is constructed.

This project will go on for another ten years, it will be over four times the size of broadmead, and will have 14 - 35 story towers in it. When this subdivision is complete the population of it will excede the population of current Esquimalt or OakBay.

This project and Langford's WestHills project will end up being roughly the same size.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

I just received an email with the prices for the units at Soaring Peaks and Highlander:

SP
450 sq ft at $225,000 through $4.5 mil for a penthouse

Highlander
550 sq ft at $350,000 through $2.5 mil for a penthouse

Yikes...

Know it all.

#10 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

It would be pretty cool to see one of those suites when they are completed.

Anyone putting any money down on one? ;)

#11 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

Not I, not I.

I dunno, I really like the style that they're going for in Bear Mountain. I know it's very stereotypical, but I like it.

#12 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

Delsterx on SSP posted the latest renderings of more Bear Mountain chateau style architecture:

The Stonehaven

#13 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

It's nice to see a four storey condo building that actually has a partial fifth floor, and something other than a flat roof.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

Scratch the 20-storey Soaring Peaks. It's actually listed at 23-storeys :shock:

So it's official. Langford is building the tallest tower in the CRD.

Know it all.

#15 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

So it's official. Langford is building that tallest tower in the CRD.

which one are you referring to?

#16 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

the ugly one!

#17 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

ok, ok..just don't post a picture of it!! :shock:

What about the 29 and 41 storey proposals? Is Bear Mountian "official" because they have actually started digging?!

#18 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

I don't think anyone has marketed these colwood towers yet. The Bear Mountian condo is being marketed for sales.

I hope the colwood towers will start a sales campain soon.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

Yup, the BM towers are already being marketed and construction details are being sorted out. A little while back several of us came to the conclusion that Colwood may be approving towers but Langford will still find a way to be the first to build them. So far that's turning out to be true!

As for the Colwood towers, I'll believe them when I see marketing materials. As per the first tower, the sites are most likely lined up for some hefty flips to Albertan developers. These developers want to come here and build, not rezone a property which takes several months from start to end.

Know it all.

#20 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

Don't forget that West Bank was also looking at that same property!

If they were hesitant to go after that before the 30 tower aproval, I don't think they will be hesitant now. I wouldn't be surprised to see West Bank building in Colwood in the next two years! <--- and who better else to build something really cool.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users