722 replies to this topic

#701 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:38 AM

That’s a beautiful photo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#702 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:32 AM

Less is more, except in those instances where less is much less:

i-31938_141.jpg

pic from https://search-bcarc...lbcmuseum.bc.ca

--

Johnson_Street_Google_Streetview.jpg

#703 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:59 PM

The city should build back to its former glory, with old photos as references.

Edited by Vin, 18 February 2021 - 12:59 PM.

#704 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:10 PM

You mean turn itself into some sort of Disney-esque museum of its own past?  :confused:  Have we learned nothing from the Bay Centre?

• Rob Randall likes this

#705 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:16 PM

I remember there used to be a big park between Cook and Douglas, had a petting zoo, peacocks, really nice. I've got some photos they could use to help rebuild that place.
  • Mike K., aastra, Nparker and 2 others like this

#706 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

You mean turn itself into some sort of Disney-esque museum of its own past?  :confused:  Have we learned nothing from the Bay Centre?

Not at all. Victoria's Old Town is a living heritage area. You should know the difference between that and an amusement park that you are referring to, which despite it all is still able to attract millions to visit every year (pre-pandemic of course).

What's wrong with the Bay Centre? It currently looks way nicer than if it's just a block of blank walls, like many shopping centres around the world.

Edited by Vin, 07 April 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#707 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:34 PM

I remember there used to be a big park between Cook and Douglas, had a petting zoo, peacocks, really nice. I've got some photos they could use to help rebuild that place.

I suppose they would feel its redundancy with Beacon Hill park just around the corner. But yeah, anything of good heritage value should not only be preserved, but rebuilt and enhanced, especially for those that were lost to some ugly or valueless replacements.

#708 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:39 PM

...What's wrong with the Bay Centre? It currently looks way nicer than if it's just a block of blank walls, like many shopping centres around the world.

If you can't see what's wrong with the Bay Centre, from an historical architectural perspective, then there's nothing more I can say.

#709 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:09 PM

Here's a super high-resolution picture of old Cormorant Street from the Vancouver archives. Just imagine if Centennial Square had been envisioned as more of an intimate pedestrian-only street rather than a blockbusting modern civic square.

Link:

https://searcharchiv...fire-department

If you zoom in you can see the long lost building on the southwest corner of Government and Pandora (not to be confused with the long lost building(s) on the southeast corner of Government and Pandora, and also not to be confused with the long lost building at the junction of Cormorant & Pandora, the north side of which you can see beside the Victorian streetlamp in this pic):

Government_at_Pandora-Cormorant.jpg

• sebberry likes this

#710 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:37 PM

Nice hat.

#711 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:13 PM

Looks like me.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#712 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:44 AM

In an article on todays CBC website, there's a story of a woman who worked in a WW2 listening post here in Victoria. She says the building was in the middle of a plum orchard.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...japan-1.6239427

In my distant memory of childhood in Gordon Head, I seem to recall buildings that looked like this up at UVIC, on the northwestern reaches of the property.

Am I out to lunch?

Does anybody know for sure where this listening post building was located?

Attached Images

• 3sws-building-victoria.jpeg

Edited by Spy Black, 07 November 2021 - 10:53 AM.

• Mike K. and todd like this

#713 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:44 AM

Not sure if it’s the exact same building, but I know there is a building right next to Wallace Field (called the Y Hut) that was once used as a listening post.
  • Mike K. likes this

#714 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:57 PM

Not the same building, but has me wondering if I’m getting this building confused with the Y Hut?
There were lots of orchards in Gordon Head, and the UVIC area had a fair bit of military infrastructure during the war years.
It would be cool to know exactly where the woman in this story worked, thus where this “hidden” listening post was actually located.

#715 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 03:47 PM

Ross Crockford re-posted this question to Facebook.
Sinclair and Finnerty seems to be the location … near the wartime huts at today’s UVIC.
The “Y” Hut definitely would have been part of this set up. I vaguely recall antenna mounting concrete slabs in the area when riding bikes all over the then “new” and quite small UVIC with my cousins.

This FaceBook post seems to confirm the above.

https://www.facebook...164063248230333

(I find this all quite interesting, as the more I think about it, the more I recall the many wartime huts around UVIC that I saw as a kid. There's still a few of those buildings left around UVIC, some (but not all) buildings with the surname "hut" on a UVIC map could date from WW2).

Edited by Spy Black, 07 November 2021 - 04:03 PM.

#716 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:39 PM

Interesting! There must be lots of listening posts all along the coast back in the 40s. 

The only one I know (and visited) is this one here:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

#717 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:02 PM

Interesting! There must be lots of listening posts all along the coast back in the 40s. 

The only one I know (and visited) is this one here:

I believe that's the main control room for all the batteries that are located in and around the Southern tip of Vancouver Island.

It's in that room that triangulation to an enemy ship would be determined, and then whichever gun(s) could make the shot would be sent the coordinates for targeting purposes from within the room behind that door.

Of possible interest would be that one of the most extensive WW2 listening posts was here:

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

(Venturing around this (original) arch top hanger during WW2 would likely have got you shot!)

And of course we still tend to listen in on folks, as well as communicate with Canadian Navy ships around the world - and we tend to fulfil that task here:

#718 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:05 PM

I believe that's the main control room for all the batteries that are located in and around the Southern tip of Vancouver Island.

It's in that room that triangulation to an enemy ship would be determined, and then whichever gun(s) could make the shot would be sent the coordinates for targeting purposes from within the room behind that door.

Of possible interest would be that one of the most extensive WW2 listening posts was here:

(Venturing around this (original) arch top hanger during WW2 would likely have got you shot!)

And of course we still tend to listen in on folks, as well as communicate with Canadian Navy ships around the world - and we tend to fulfil that task here:

Oh, we do that for sure, and much more. And not just from that location. As you probably know Canada punches far, far above its perceived weight in terms of its military and intelligence intercept capability, et al.

Canada to no one's surprise in general does a comparatively poor job of funding its front line military and other 'visible' forces but one area that it does support - quietly - is signals intelligence. The CSE is at the forefront of such global orgs and as such is hugely respected within the Five Eyes alliance. And those large SGT's at Signal Hill at CFB Esquimalt are't there to tune in Netflix, they are part of a much more comprehensive CF military communication system with facilities here, in Ottawa and Nova Scotia. Among other things that network can scan and listen in on marine and other traffic across a vast area of the Eastern/North Pacific.

• Spy Black likes this

#719 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:37 PM

One of the towns we stayed in in NS, Ardoise, is right near those massive antennas, we drove past them multiple times, it’s quite an impressive installation.

#720 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:05 PM

/\ Know it well the town is near Hants - West Hants counties where our extended family lives :)

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users