707 replies to this topic

#701 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 62,291 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:38 AM

That’s a beautiful photo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#702 aastra

aastra
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:32 AM

Less is more, except in those instances where less is much less:

i-31938_141.jpg

pic from https://search-bcarc...lbcmuseum.bc.ca

--

Johnson_Street_Google_Streetview.jpg

#703 Vin

Vin
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:59 PM

The city should build back to its former glory, with old photos as references.

Edited by Vin, 18 February 2021 - 12:59 PM.

#704 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,807 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:10 PM

You mean turn itself into some sort of Disney-esque museum of its own past?  :confused:  Have we learned nothing from the Bay Centre?

• Rob Randall likes this

#705 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:16 PM

I remember there used to be a big park between Cook and Douglas, had a petting zoo, peacocks, really nice. I've got some photos they could use to help rebuild that place.
  • Mike K., aastra, Nparker and 2 others like this

#706 Vin

Vin
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

You mean turn itself into some sort of Disney-esque museum of its own past?  :confused:  Have we learned nothing from the Bay Centre?

Not at all. Victoria's Old Town is a living heritage area. You should know the difference between that and an amusement park that you are referring to, which despite it all is still able to attract millions to visit every year (pre-pandemic of course).

What's wrong with the Bay Centre? It currently looks way nicer than if it's just a block of blank walls, like many shopping centres around the world.

Edited by Vin, 07 April 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#707 Vin

Vin
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:34 PM

I remember there used to be a big park between Cook and Douglas, had a petting zoo, peacocks, really nice. I've got some photos they could use to help rebuild that place.

I suppose they would feel its redundancy with Beacon Hill park just around the corner. But yeah, anything of good heritage value should not only be preserved, but rebuilt and enhanced, especially for those that were lost to some ugly or valueless replacements.

#708 Nparker

Nparker
  • 28,807 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:39 PM

...What's wrong with the Bay Centre? It currently looks way nicer than if it's just a block of blank walls, like many shopping centres around the world.

If you can't see what's wrong with the Bay Centre, from an historical architectural perspective, then there's nothing more I can say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users