#2042 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:48 AM

Foodie Goodie. Oh yeah.
  • JennKa likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2043 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

New thread?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2044 jeffifah

jeffifah
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

So kick me off this thread if there's a better place for me to post this question.  I haven't really explored the food threads very much.

I'm not a resident of Victoria, but am a frequent visitor, and will be moving there within 18 months. We have a new family member (nephew's new bride) who we're all trying to entice to move to Victoria, rather than back to her native Halifax, dragging our nephew with her. They will be spending about 3 weeks in Victoria during September.  She's a real foodie, so I'm thinking if we can give her a great list of spots to visit, not just restaurants but farmer's markets, organic farms, cheesemakers, people doing new and interesting stuff food-wise....it will help to sway her.  So if any of you have favourite spots or ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance.

#2045 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

So kick me off this thread if there's a better place for me to post this question.  I haven't really explored the food threads very much.

I'm not a resident of Victoria, but am a frequent visitor, and will be moving there within 18 months. We have a new family member (nephew's new bride) who we're all trying to entice to move to Victoria, rather than back to her native Halifax, dragging our nephew with her. They will be spending about 3 weeks in Victoria during September.  She's a real foodie, so I'm thinking if we can give her a great list of spots to visit, not just restaurants but farmer's markets, organic farms, cheesemakers, people doing new and interesting stuff food-wise....it will help to sway her.  So if any of you have favourite spots or ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance.

I think a trip to Saltspting as well as Cowichan Valley is a good idea.

• Matt R. and jeffifah like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2046 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

There's the Brewery and the Beast festival of meat, but tickets are sold out. We're giving away a pair of tickets through Citified if you want to enter on your nephew's behalf: https://www.facebook...29451187088922/

• jeffifah likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2047 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

Red Fish Blue Fish for the fish tacos. Sit harbourside and enjoy the view.

Moss St Market should be on the list too.

• jeffifah likes this

#2048 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

...and it would sure be easier to convince her if she came out in February. Just saying...

• jeffifah likes this

Know it all.

#2049 jeffifah

jeffifah
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

thanks very much for all the ideas. I've started my list and entered the tix contest.  And yes....February would be a good time to twist her arm....

#2050 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

The third location for Pizzeria Prima Strada will be opening on Fort Street near Foul Bay across the street from Save-On Foods. It will be in the same building that once housed Eugene's Greek Restaurant, which is moving to Cook Village behind Starbucks and renaming itself to Village Taverna. 

The old Eugene's storefront is becoming a Vietnamese Pho eatery.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 17 August 2015 - 01:37 PM.

• vicernie likes this

#2051 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Phogetaboutit?

• Nparker likes this

#2052 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

Friends of Bears/Mexi-Cali is papered over Nothing on the FB page 

https://www.facebook...cheeseburgesoup5D4SztN.jpg?1

Edited by Mr_E_Squirrel, 17 August 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#2053 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Via Facebook someone has told us that they've spoken to the owner and were told there are interior changes underway.

Know it all.

#2054 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Via Facebook someone has told us that they've spoken to the owner and were told there are interior changes underway.

Hmmmmm, seems suspicious, major focus change a month ago, no FB posts since July 31st.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2055 Mike Jay

Mike Jay
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

this is who is moving in there: http://www.ruthanddean.com/

#2056 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

Ok, that makes more sense.

Know it all.

#2057 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Excellent use of tourist maps. (I'm not sure who actually pays for those, but pretty sure it isn't Friends of Bears :) )

• Nparker likes this

#2058 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

funky location for that type of use

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#2059 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:57 AM

Facebook was updated ...
3 hrs · 

Thanks to everyone who supported Friends of Bears Cafe! We've closed our doors to focus solely on catering. We'll miss you! Thanks for all the good times. -Colin and Claudia

#2060 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:23 AM

A Thai restaurant at Saanich Centre has closed. It was beside Yoshi Sushi near the south east side of this rather tired 80s shopping centre.

Rumour has it the space will be divided in two and a Starbucks will move in. That should be a smart move as in addition to the many offices in the centre, Saanich Municipal Hall and the Fire and Police departments are practically across the street. What's more, the old drive through from when it was a Burger King is still there, including the ordering and pickup windows.

Any update on this Gateway Village change?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (5), conga