Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8856 replies to this topic

#241 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

You'd think a landlord would love a TH franchise in his stripmall as it is a busy anchor that draws customers in who may patronize the other businesses.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#242 LJ

LJ
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

the fact that the franchisee can't determine the pricing etc, plus they have to buy all product from the franchisor and are not allowed to innovate locally....

Ummm, that's why they are successful.

If you didn't want to do that you would open your own restaurant.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#243 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

Ummm, that's why they are successful.

If you didn't want to do that you would open your own restaurant.

Ummmmm yup....but ummmm perhaps there is truth to the fact that they posted less than stellar sales last year and their margins are tighter than before....ummmm read the stock report....all Im saying....read the first few words of my comment "could be" was how I began the sentence.....k? mmm bye :P:rolleyes:;)

#244 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,818 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

TH blows. Not sure why the place is still in business. I wish we still had one good doughnut place in the city...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#245 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:00 AM

TH blows. Not sure why the place is still in business....

My sentiments exactly. Could I add Starbux to that as well?

#246 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

I was at Mayfair yesterday and the biggest food court lineup was at the TH franchise by far. I'm sure you could open another Tim's at the opposite end of the mall and it would still have a big lineup all day. They may blow, but the owner is doing it all the way to the bank.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#247 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

A new bistro/cafe is opening in Millie's Lane (Odeon Alley) in Fasta Pasta's old space.

The Jackalope Bistro is now open in the old Fasta Pasta space and features a burger-centric menu (today's special was a $5.95 burger).

It appears that a new food-oriented business will soon be opening in the old Boxo Noodles on Blanshard.

#248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,811 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

What appears to be a Mexican diner/take-out is opening in Vic West's West Side Village where a florist was once located.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#249 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

What appears to be a Mexican diner/take-out is opening in Vic West's West Side Village where a florist was once located.

That will be the second location for La Taquisa, which also operates a food cart in the Cook Street Village.

#250 LJ

LJ
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

ummmm read the stock report....

Stock up over 25% in the last 9 months, last quarter dividend up 30% from previous two quarters, I think I will leave my money where it is thanks.;)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#251 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

McDonald's downtown was undergoing a massive, or at least quick renovation today, was closed an I swear 30-40 workers were in there doing something.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#252 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

McDonald's downtown was undergoing a massive, or at least quick renovation today, was closed an I swear 30-40 workers were in there doing something.

Fishing needles out of the toilets?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#253 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

The Pantry on Douglas (just north of Mayfair) has closed.

#254 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,520 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

The Pantry on Douglas (just north of Mayfair) has closed.

That's been closed since Jan I think.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#255 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

That's been closed since Jan I think.

Correct and according to this reviewer, the furniture went to Original Joe's!

http://www.yelp.ca/u...rXs7emh5C9SrYng

#256 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

Posh, in the Mosaic on Fort is closing tonight. A note on the door implies that they may reopen in a more appropriate location so it sounds like the rent was killing them.

#257 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,028 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

Posh, in the Mosaic on Fort is closing tonight.

Maybe Victoria just wasn't ready for a taste of Sukiyaki.

#258 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

So are the rumours about Burger King and Fat Burger both opening locations downtown actually true? Neither of the spaces (Blenz at Douglas & Johnson and Tall Girl in the Sayward building, respectively) have shown any signs of renovation work yet.

Perhaps leases start June 1st?

#259 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,028 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

I can only speak to the BK rumour, but to the best of my knowledge it is true.

#260 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,171 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Posh, in the Mosaic on Fort is closing tonight. A note on the door implies that they may reopen in a more appropriate location so it sounds like the rent was killing them.

I think they need higher foot traffic, but Rob R may have a different take.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)