Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8824 replies to this topic

#2661 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

Mirage on Government has been replaced by Pour...

Stopped by Pour this weekend on the way to some inner harbour events.  Fast efficient service, friendly staff, huge selection of pastries/baked goods... and a fantastic americano!   Beans are being provided by Second Crack on Bridge St... not sure who's supplying the baked goods, forgot to ask, but they looked delicious.  Looks like they also do panini's and such, and will have a nitro cold brew in about 2 weeks.

Nicely renovated space, very open/bright, large counters, outdoor seating.

Nice to have a decent coffee shop right down at the inner harbour.  l know there are great coffee shops relatively close, but if you're down in the thick of tourist madness l'd recommend checking them out! 

Edited by Mr.B, 06 June 2016 - 10:43 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#2662 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:55 AM

I see the "Awesome Coffee" has re-opened in the Crystal Gardens.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2663 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

Has anyone been to the LOFT PUB on the Gorge Road?  Conor Fleck is the new owner of bar above the re-branded Days Inn on the Gorge just north of Jutland.  Upper Deck i think was the previous name of the sports bar.  It seems like the Old Coachman Eatery got good reviews on Trip Advisor,  The new owner promises great breakfasts etc.  and is calling himself Loft Pub and Coachman Eatery.  

Edited by JanionGuy, 06 June 2016 - 09:20 PM.

#2664 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

Another Victoria landmark shuts its doors.

German restaurant Rathskeller closing after half century - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.TQ9nGwyf.dpuf

It was one of the greatest kitsch experiences to be had in this city...and I say that with love. Lots of fond memories there for me.

• cfbnp200e likes this

#2665 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

Another Victoria landmark shuts its doors.

It was one of the greatest kitsch experiences to be had in this city...and I say that with love. Lots of fond memories there for me.

Too true. LOVE this place and will miss it terribly. We'd had our staff parties there the past two years - the group meal was perfect. Big platters of schnitzel, spaetzle,bratwurst passed around family style.

#2666 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

Too true. LOVE this place and will miss it terribly. We'd had our staff parties there the past two years - the group meal was perfect. Big platters of schnitzel, spaetzle,bratwurst passed around family style.

Agreed. There is nothing elegant or contemporary about Rathskellar, but it has a unique charm and character. Victoria's dining scene will be poorer for its absence.

#2667 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

I'd have to disagree. The only reason the Rathskellar existed was that it is/was the only German place in town. The food and service were mediocre at best in my opinion. I'm sure it was great back in the day though. Hopefully someone else will try out a fresh take on it - there's surely a bigger market for it if done right.

If you'd like some real charm and character, go to the Ukranian Cultural Center (on Douglas @ Roderick St) for dinner sometime! I think they do it once a month.

• weirdie and 57WestHills like this

#2668 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Although I quite like German food, I've only been to the Rathskeller once.  Seemed tasty to me at the time. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2669 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

The Rathskellar has never been about fine dining or ever great German cuisine. It is warm and cozy, sort of like your grandmother's kitichen - complete with dreadfully dated & kitschy decor. It is entirely unpretentious in a dining environment where the vibe is increasingly about style over comfort.

#2670 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

Noodle Box on Fisgard is Closed.

Not sure how many more 'South Asian" noodle place this city can handle.

There are already too many.

This city really follows the food fads until the market is saturated and places start closing.

The Fisgard Noodle Box has been dead for quite some time compared to what it was like 10 or so years ago.

The sign says like us on FB but they aren't open yet so how can we like them when we haven't tried it and I did a quick search and cant seem to find their FB page

Noodle box used to have a loyalty card. Buy a dish get a stamp. After 10 stamps get a free dish.

They discontinued the loyalty card and claimed they were coming out with an even better one. they kept promising the new card would be out soon. It never did come out. They started telling customers 3 years ago that the card will be available soon.

After about 1 year of lying to customers about it the front end staff started tell customers to write to the owner and ask them when the new card was coming out. Tried that a couple times but emails and IMs were ignored.

Front end staff were probably sick of customers asking and tried to pass the buck to the owners who could care less about it

I quit going to Noodle Box found some places that were even better and was getting sick of the same old items on the menu.

Edited by HB, 10 June 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#2671 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

Noodle Box on Fisgard is Closed.

Not sure how many more 'South Asian" noodle place this city can handle.

There are already too many.

This city really follows the food fads until the market is saturated and places start closing.

The Fisgard Noodle Box has been dead for quite some time compared to what it was like 10 or so years ago.

The sign says like us on FB but they aren't open yet so how can we like them when we haven't tried it and I did a quick search and cant seem to find their FB page

https://www.facebook...08032435966582/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2672 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

I love south asian food and many places seem to be doing well.

I agree with you re: Noodlebox and their stamp card. The food is still good but since they went into franchising mode and opening up locations in Alberta and elsewhere in BC the quality really dropped.

I hope bao and the chef can bring back the good parts of the original noodlebox that I used to love at that location!

#2673 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:36 AM

...Noodlebox...food is still good but since they went into franchising mode and opening up locations in Alberta and elsewhere in BC the quality really dropped...

Bigger is rarely better in the food service industry.

#2674 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:39 PM

Koto sushi on Fort is back serving liquor again after having their license taken away earlier.

#2675 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

I also quit Noodle Box in large part because of their loyalty dishonesty and also wait times disproportionately long to price / quality.

#2676 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

June 30 2016

When delivering fresh Chicken to a store if the store is not open just drop the skid of meat onto the sidewalk and carry on with your next delivery.

Came by this at 8:15 am no one around nothing open.

Seagull were trying to peck open the boxes.

Island Farmhouse Chicken in Cobble Hill is a pretty descent operation run like a co-op of local poultry farmers.Their product is expensive.

Not sure if they are at fault but if it was their own delivery driver who did this they should have a word with him or better yet put him through a food safe program that he should have taken anyway if he is working with food.

http://www.farmhousepoultry.ca/

http://youtu.be/yWhPAxv3XMA

#2677 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

Chocolats Favoris has opened at 1010 Government Street.

It is a Quebec based chocolate chain with twenty stores in Quebec, one in Ontario, and now one in BC.

https://www.facebook...hocolatsfavoris

http://www.chocolats...m/en/Home.shtml

• Mike K. and zoomer like this

#2678 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

A new meat shop has opened at the corner of Pandora and Quadra St.

File_000 (3).jpeg

https://www.cornerst.../our-story.html

• RoadRunner likes this

#2679 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:47 AM

Such good news it bears repeating. :P

I noticed this last week and I mean to stop in and check it out. Their website says they feature the best halal* meats. https://www.cornerstonemeats.ca/

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

#2680 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

Is the money spent on Halal certification funding terrorism?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users