Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8824 replies to this topic

#1781 mikevic80

mikevic80
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

Mai Mai's is closing down after this weekend.

(Temple at Fort @ Langley)

Didn't they just open a year ago in that location?

Regards
Mike Kelly
Victoria Buzz

#1782 beryllium

beryllium
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

Didn't they just open a year ago in that location?

According to the date on the initial VIHA inspection, somewhere around October 24th, 2014.

• mikevic80 likes this

#1783 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Ya only a few months ago.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1784 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

They sold the business for $85k. Not knowing the lease, but the space was pretty darned nice for $85k.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

It sold?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1786 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

It sold?

Yes.no details yet.

#1787 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

It's back to taking the bus to Sydney for their great sushi.

#1788 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

That spot (and others) seem to be cursed, lots of turn over. Given the tiny amount of walk-by traffic at Langley at Fort, this isn't shocking to me.

#1789 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

That spot (and others) seem to be cursed, lots of turn over. Given the tiny amount of walk-by traffic at Langley at Fort, this isn't shocking to me.

Must every F&B outlet rely on walk-by?  Tell that to Jam, packed every day.  Or Deep Cove Chalet.

There's a lot more to it all.  

• KAS likes this

#1790 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Must every F&B outlet rely on walk-by?  Tell that to Jam, packed every day.  Or Deep Cove Chalet.

There's a lot more to it all.  

Absolutely not, and Jam or Deep Cove Chalet are prime examples. But no walk-by, plus no cachet plus no residents is death.

#1791 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

I am a firm believer that most places aren't cursed, its just that bad operators inhabit the space. The operation where india bistro is now was successful for quite some time before there was a change of management and the model closed. Quite a few unsuccessful operators do not work with their space, but instead jam their vision into it and disregard their realities to follow their dream and when it fails, they blame the location, rather than having a hard look at themselves and their business plan.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#1792 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

I'm rarely downtown for lunch on weekends. Any suggestions for a Saturday lunch?

#1793 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

I am a firm believer that most places aren't cursed, its just that bad operators inhabit the space. The operation where india bistro is now was successful for quite some time before there was a change of management and the model closed. Quite a few unsuccessful operators do not work with their space, but instead jam their vision into it and disregard their realities to follow their dream and when it fails, they blame the location, rather than having a hard look at themselves and their business plan.

Mhmmm.

I have never owned or operated a restaurant, but it's surprising to me how many screw up the basic formula. Not commenting on Mai Mai's specifically, but the basic formula to me is:

Quality Food + Quality Service +  Flawless Execution + Decent Space = Workable Customer Value Proposition

If your food is mediocre, forget it. If your service is lacking, forget it. If the space sucks, forget it. If you can't execute on the vast majority of customer service experiences, forget it.

So many places I have been to recently have a massive menu. How can a small restaurant possibly execute on a massive, multi page menu? How can all the ingredients possibly be fresh and delicious? How can the small kitchen staff possibly be expected to execute on all these dishes with excellence?

Il Covo Trattoria comes to mind as a recent experience that seems to miss the mark when it comes to figuring out this formula.

#1794 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

Mhmmm.

I have never owned or operated a restaurant, but it's surprising to me how many screw up the basic formula. Not commenting on Mai Mai's specifically, but the basic formula to me is:

Quality Food + Quality Service +  Flawless Execution + Decent Space = Workable Customer Value Proposition

If your food is mediocre, forget it. If your service is lacking, forget it. If the space sucks, forget it. If you can't execute on the vast majority of customer service experiences, forget it.

So many places I have been to recently have a massive menu. How can a small restaurant possibly execute on a massive, multi page menu? How can all the ingredients possibly be fresh and delicious? How can the small kitchen staff possibly be expected to execute on all these dishes with excellence?

Il Covo Trattoria comes to mind as a recent experience that seems to miss the mark when it comes to figuring out this formula.

Ya, I agree.  I'm not a fussy eater at all, so I'm not the best to comment on good food.   But I go to places with good atmosphere/service.

A place like Earl's does well, as they just stick to the game plan.  And I don't think it hurts that a place like Earl's has a floor manager watching over the whole operation, compared to say, Darcy's, where staff are not always on their game.

#1795 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:09 AM

... the basic formula to me is: Quality Food + Quality Service +  Flawless Execution + Decent Space = Workable Customer Value Proposition... 

I think one other factor needs to go into this equation to help explain many a local restaurateur's failure: over-extending themselves financially before the doors even open.

#1796 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

Ya, I agree.  I'm not a fussy eater at all, so I'm not the best to comment on good food.   But I go to places with good atmosphere/service.

A place like Earl's does well, as they just stick to the game plan.  And I don't think it hurts that a place like Earl's has a floor manager watching over the whole operation, compared to say, Darcy's, where staff are not always on their game.

Places like Earl's, Milestones and CC keep it pretty simple and they are always on their game. Service and food is almost always good. The restaurants themselves are good (modern, clean good atmosphere, etc.). Prices are fair. There are reasons they grew to be so successful.

I think one other factor needs to go into this equation to help explain many a local restaurateur's failure: over-extending themselves financially before the doors even open.

Yeah. I'd test the concept out before going all in.

#1797 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

I would also suggest price as part of that value proposition. I simply won't spend > $10 on lunch except on a rare occasion. As a result, places with decent lunch specials get my business on a regular business. Weird that I can get curried beef with a spring roll at Siam Thai for $8.95, but I can't get a non-fast food burger in fries anywhere downtown for less than $12. Seems fishy...

#1798 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

Quality Food + Quality Service + Flawless Execution + Decent Space = Workable Customer Value Proposition

That's exactly what Mai Mai's offered. I went there on several occasions and was never disappointed. In fact I'd say each visit was a 9.5 or 10 outta 10.

What did them in, without a doubt, is not having enough capital to carry the business for at least two years. They were expecting a much bigger turn out but the market didn't know they were there, which brings us to the fact that they also didn't have enough capital for a constant and professional marketing strategy.
  • Nparker, Kikadee and mikevic80 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1799 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Places like Earls, CC, the Keg, and Milestones also have the benefit of being part of chains or franchises.  Regardless of what the local owner/operator puts into it, they do have the benefit of that built-in customer goodwill - particularly when they're located in tourist corridors.    None of these restaurants is high in my regular dining rotation, but I do recognize that if you have a group of people with a variety of dining preferences, you can't really go wrong with any one of them.  Although, the Montys-lite dress code for the serving staff at Earls irritates me enough to put me off my lunch.

In MaiMai's case, along with the lack of promo, they just might be able to blame the location - or at least the configuration of the location.  The room, itself, is very nice. At least it was when I was in there a couple of years ago.  The overall location is good - there are a few of restaurants down there, and have been for years.  What is weird for the Temple location is that you don't enter off of Fort St - you have to walk around to the side of the building on Langley, and go in what looks like (and probably was) a service entrance.

#1800 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

I just hope that Mai Mai's downtown doesn't affect their Sooke operation. the sushi was original, well presented and worth the trip.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users