Photo

Pacific Marine Circle Route - Langford-Sooke-Port Renfrew-Lake Cowichan-Duncan

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:48 PM

I actually drove past the turn off to Lake Cowichan and continued into Port Renfrew. When I realized my mistake, I turned around and went back a short way towards Sooke...there are absolutely no signs indicating a Lake Cowichan turn off when you are travelling east from Port Renfrew; however, I finally found my way. Another example of a million dollar highway and two bit signage. So you see sebbery, you are not the only one to lose your way! Blame the cartographers!

I have to agree.. the signage out there is horrible. I get lost often. One turn off sign tells you a park or a lake is down this road.. but once you head down the path.. no more signs! You need a back road map to help out.. and even they are not so accurate.

#62 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

We drove the route on Saturday. We came from the Port Renfrew side.

I enjoyed the drive for Port R to the height of land, but the run down to Cowichan Lake was not not nearly as scenic.

I am surprised that that the road was not down to a higher standard. The pavement is the most basic seal coating and is not going to last long at all. I am also surprised that there are no lane markings given that it is being promoted as a tourist route.

The traffic was not high but steady on Saturday.

I will say this, this is a nicer quality road access to Port Renfrew than the existing road.

Does anyone know if this is a Ministry of Transportation highway now? If so, what number is it?

#63 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

If it was a provincially designated highway route one would expect road signs to the standard of similar roads. It may be they are still in production and proper setting.

Anyone try GPS on the route?

#64 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

The signage seems good to me. Way better than it used to be.

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Motorcycle video:

http://www.travelpod...n.wmv/tpod.html

#66 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

Motorcycle video:

http://www.travelpod...n.wmv/tpod.html

how did you find that? brilliant! My '85 Honda 500 may go for a ride. :):D

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

Are you guys sure it's been paved? The quality of the asphalt described here seems similar to what I drove on months ago which was not the black-top.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

I believe that the road is a tar sealed aggregate. I also believe that this road is basically the same material that was on the Cowichan - Duncan Highway that needed to be lifted and repaved due to window breaks (including mine).

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:24 AM

Ok, that sounds about right. I know that the surface from HWY 18 was to be re-used on the circle route.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

I drove Gordon River Main on Thursday -- no gates were locked along the route. If you're looking for an easy ride as far as gravel logging roads go, this is it! Along the whole stretch only three vehicles passed us giving the route a remote feeling unlike the newly paved circle route. The condition of the road will allow even a low clearance vehicle without 4x4 to make an easy go of it.

Circle route too "urbanized" for you? Take a left at the circle route/Gordon River fork in the road just north of Port Renfrew and enjoy.

Know it all.

#71 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

before my kid was born, my girl and I took that drive many times as agravel road. It was a great weekend warrior road for our little Jeep. I'll have ot check it out again all paved, maybe this Sunday!

The drive the Nitnat Lake is always fun :-)

#72 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

The police stopped three hundred traffic violators on the circle route on a recent Sunday enforcement blitz.

What did I tell you? A once nice remote drive, nobody around to bug you and now you get shot if you go 65 in the 60 zones (which are more like 100 zones...) **** you BC Liberals for killing that route.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

You are upset that they are enforcing the law?

#74 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

You are upset that they are enforcing the law?

No, but the speed limit is set incredibly low for that road. I could easily do the old GRAVEL road at the newly posted speed limits for the paved road.

The cops aren't NEEDED up there. It just makes sense for them to be there from a financial standpoint.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

The final piece is in place:

http://whatthesooke....ideo/#more-7467
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#76 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

To use the breakwater comparison, I thought half the fun came from the danger of skidding off the road thanks to the loose gravel? ;)

#77 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

The fun was in demonstrating that you can avoid doing that.

Anyways, now the most limiting portion of the highway is the portion of the road through Sooke.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

This sign:

... is about 85 feet further west of this sign:

Which one is correct?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#79 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

The Petro Can sign is incorrect

#80 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Arguably, they are both correct.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users