http://www.atv.ca/vi...news_71183.aspx

...including this youtube clip:
wou7RZ7gr3w

#22 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

money-maker or not, i can't imagine that cadillac-fairview is happy with almost the whole side of the 4th floor being vacant. it just looks bad (& babu was from pakistan, not iran)

#23 tarainbc

tarainbc
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:54 AM

The 4th floor isn't vacant anymore....the side opposite the Passport Office has been leased out to Good Life Gyms which will open this summer.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the update!

Finally after so many years the fourth floor corridors will have some life. As for the sudden increase in fourth floor tenants, I suppose the rates offered were low in order to fill up the space in preparation for the sale. The sale also explains the sudden fourth floor exterior work (facing north up Broad Street) that was completed last summer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

Faux recycling?

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Weird. I just listened to a story on CBC yesterday about how our recycling is now being put into ships and sent to china made into products and shipped back. It's real recycling but man is that messed up. Sorry off topic.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

Weird. I just listened to a story on CBC yesterday about how our recycling is now being put into ships and sent to china made into products and shipped back. It's real recycling but man is that messed up. Sorry off topic.

We should just take an area, say, 'round about Hazelton, and trade it with a piece of China. They could have their workers work there in factories in second-world conditions, but with the bonus of good supply chains. We'd get a little piece of China for I don't know what.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

This is nothing new. After World War II and the Korean War we towed most of the Canadian Navy ships to Japan and we bought them back as Datsuns that rusted out in a couple of years. But the Japanese never looked back, as they were the same as what China is today.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

^ Yeah but there is a huge difference between towing a big ship and putting waste paper in a container for shipping.

#30 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

I bet I know who bought it... the Ontario teachers! ...wait that wouldn't make sense.... :P

Victoria, B.C. - The Bay Centre has been sold.

Cadillac Fairview, owners of the downtown shopping mall, have completed a deal to sell the four-story, 90-store complex anchored by the Bay.

Cadillac Fairview, however, did not identify the buyer nor the selling price, citing confidentiality agreements with the new owners.

However, Bay Centre Manager Darlene Holstein confirmed this afternoon that the sale is official.

“I’m working for a new company,” said Hollstein, but added she did not have the authority to identify the firm.

Sources say it is a Toronto-based pension fund investor.

http://www.timescolo...4191/story.html

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

LaSalle Investments of Chicago.

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

Anyone know when the fountain was removed from the ground floor of the Bay Center?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

The "Times" facade facing onto Broad Street along Fort Street is under scaffolding and someone wearing what looked like a hazmat suit was removing samples of material from one of the walls. What's happening here?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Sounds like asbestos?

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Could be right? That would probably be why this individual was all suited up like that.

Know it all.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Asbestos was phased out by the 80s; is it more likely protection from mold?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

probably silica

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Does that include the bars VicDuck?

I can assure you that it doesn't.  :cheers:  

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users