110 replies to this topic

#41 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 12:08 PM

Parksville temporarily closing some beaches to dogs

https://www.cheknews...to-dogs-953425/

“Our beaches provide an abundant food source for the geese, which need to gain weight and strength before making another non-stop flight. A disturbance caused by something as simple as a child running on the beach can have drastic effects on the geese while feeding,” the municipality said in a press release on its website.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2022 - 12:08 PM.

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 12:51 PM

...A disturbance caused by something as simple as a child running on the beach can have drastic effects on the geese while feeding,”..

So presumably they are also closing the beaches to children.

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 12:53 PM

For now it looks like humans can trump geese. Likely not for long though.

#44 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 06:40 PM

https://www.cheknews...to-dogs-953425/

“Our beaches provide an abundant food source for the geese, which need to gain weight and strength before making another non-stop flight. A disturbance caused by something as simple as a child running on the beach can have drastic effects on the geese while feeding,” the municipality said in a press release on its website.

Now if only we could get the damn Canada geese to migrate.

• Barrrister likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:13 AM

"It was incredibly unfortunate that people in our fair city absolutely have zero civic pride and leave their rubbish all over the sand and all over the grass," he said about the food containers, plastic, alcohol containers and boxes.

"I was really heartbroken and disappointed that the people down in English Bay treated it like a toilet."

Tom Digby, a Park Board commissioner with the Green Party of Vancouver, agreed that although many people tried to place garbage in receptacles or close by once they were overflowing, the aftermath was a problem.

"It certainly turned into an epic garbage weekend in Vancouver," said Digby.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ouver-1.6827633

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 May 2023 - 01:14 AM.

#46 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:48 PM

I am looking forward to seeing “Epic Garbage Weekend” play at the end of summer VV Open tournament this year.
  • Nparker likes this

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 06:08 AM

Lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 06:56 AM

^^ Ah yes the coveted VV Open. I remember the year that Victoria Watcher ripped the blades off of the little windmill in order to finish the round.

Good times.
  • Nparker and lanforod like this

#49 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:37 AM

Let me know the date of the VV fishing derby and I will show up......

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:21 PM

Sorry ASE, the VV gravel and fence post mart that we’ll need you to man will be open that day.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 03:46 PM

As it happens I have one more fence to build.....perhaps my pain of missing out will be lessened if there is a heavily discounted sale price on fence posts that day? The FOMA is very real you know....who knows what crazy things it may drive me to do?? Fortunately I don't need any more gavels....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 02 May 2023 - 03:48 PM.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:08 PM

Haven’t you been building that fence for four years now?
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:41 PM

I gotta say, if Rock Bay was cleared of all of its trash and muck, and if a bunch of white sand was laid along the beaches and in the shallows, and if clusters of boulders were placed along the shore in strategic locations, it could be a heckuva nice "urban beach" area right downtown. But unlike a lot of the "urban beach" attractions you see in other cities, it would involve some actual beachfront on an actual cove of the actual ocean.

Tell me this wouldn't be a super cool public recreation area. I dare just one of you to tell me. I bet you can't even imply it.

Rock_Bay_potential.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 03:06 AM

Plus that pet cremation place is nearby. You could have that final walk with Rover at that beach. Then into the fire.

Seriously though. Are we allowed to create beaches in that manner?
  • Szeven likes this

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 09:30 AM

Are we allowed to create beaches in that manner?

I think the general rule is, no. Because we're all staunchly committed to environmental preservation and the authenticity of the natural environment. Unless, of course, we already DID do it a long time ago and nobody remembers the alterations that were made to make a shoreline safer and/or more enjoyable for people (dredging, breakwaters and man-made reefs, dumping of sand and/or gravel, etc.). Not to mention the alterations that were made to make a shoreline more functional and convenient for industry.

#56 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 12:39 PM

Haven’t you been building that fence for four years now?

Nope this is fence # 4 and will be the largest and most expensive build (fortunately also the last one) because we will be re-paving the entire driveway first then building the fence along the length of said driveway, with a x-panel at the top bordering the back yard, connected to a new gate. It's about 18 meters so I have to first tear down the old fence then a s*** ton of new post hole digging is required not to mention co$t of all that wood. There was also a partial rebuild of the back deck in summer 2021. I got lots done on my WFH lunches since the start of covid :)

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:53 PM

God speed, ASE 🫡

Since it’s nearly impossible to find skilled labour these days, I am in the midst of rebuilding of my deck.

Are you resurfacing your driveway yourself? And are you using concrete? I have to do the same, plus add another driveway into a side yard for easier access.

Know it all.

#58 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 03:42 PM

God speed, ASE

Since it’s nearly impossible to find skilled labour these days, I am in the midst of rebuilding of my deck.

Are you resurfacing your driveway yourself? And are you using concrete? I have to do the same, plus add another driveway into a side yard for easier access.

Yeah no not concrete it'll be 'asphalt over (existing) asphalt' and will require a s*** ton of measuring twice/cutting once as we'll need to dig the post holes first, then do the driveway and then build the fence. And no I'm not doing the driveway other than (maybe!) helping to push the asphalt along to even it out, lol. The other fences were easy and cheaper in the early days of covid before supply issues spiked the cost of materials and wood above all else. Initially I was going to do a panel fence here but the costs have skyrocketed so this one will be a 'good neighbor' fence. Besides too many panel fences make a property look like a prison yard IMO.

The deck was the hardest for me due to arthritis in one knee and the circulation issue in the other lower leg. I had to rebuild most of the footings and form and install altogether new supports for the stairs since the original deck/stairs didn't have any supports. As I'm 275lbs that was problematic and resulted in a lot of 'flex' whenever i went up or down, heh. The issue was having only about 3.5' clearance from ground to bottom of the deck and less than that for the step supports. Not fun grubbing around in the dirt with limited room and space and a wonky arthritic knee.....

When all is said and done we'll toss in some sand in the backyard and make a new beach - after a few decades of sea level rise the gorge waterway should be right on our doorstep... :)

Edited by AllseeingEye, 03 May 2023 - 03:44 PM.

• Mike K. and Sparky like this

#59 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 07:42 PM

I was talking to one of the brewery reps from the Rock Bay area today, and he said they are trying to get the name changed to Brewery Bay.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#60 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 10:08 PM

I noticed yesterday Hoyne has a lounge now, between that and Melt food truck and the market you could have yourself a lovely afternoon in Rock Bay.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users