Photo

School Board 61 by-election - June 27th 2009

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

There is a failure in the system and its not just the union, its the boards working with limited budgets, its the Ministry mandating inane policies and its the taxpayer that doesnt stand up and take notice.

To be quite honest, the 3 districts on the lower Island should be amalgamated, theres no reason why smaller schools cant be used for other things outside of school hours such as recreation facilities or adult education to generate additional revenues. Also why does each school need a principal and a vice principal? Why cant a principal manage for example 3 schools with the VP's reporting to them. Save a couple of hundred g's right there.

I agree
Board amalgamation only makes sense especially when you look at the lower mainland.
Satellite principals is something that's been brought up before. Not sure why it isn't being implemented.
In the case of Burnside School being closed...it is being utilized fully and can be returned to an elementary school if and when needed.
Colquitz is being used after school hours...possibly others as well, but I'm not sure.

#22 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

Why can't all of the closed schools be used similarly to Burnside, without such long term leases. Part of Burnside is still used for a SD61 program. This could be the case in all the empty schools, combining community with education so that when enrollments increase again these schools will be available.

Thanks,
I agree, that teachers have every right to stand up and offer an opinion. This is what democracy is all about, everyone should have an equal voice. However as with any group that sacrifices individual opinion in the hope for a collective voice, certain agendas come to the forefront and usually end up being agendas from a vocal minority.

Localising collective bargaining imho is pandoras box. The rights of the children to obtain a consistent level of education regardless of loation or demographic should be the priority over everything else.

There is a failure in the system and its not just the union, its the boards working with limited budgets, its the Ministry mandating inane policies and its the taxpayer that doesnt stand up and take notice.

To be quite honest, the 3 districts on the lower Island should be amalgamated, theres no reason why smaller schools cant be used for other things outside of school hours such as recreation facilities or adult education to generate additional revenues. Also why does each school need a principal and a vice principal? Why cant a principal manage for example 3 schools with the VP's reporting to them. Save a couple of hundred g's right there.

My observation of both local and provincial teacher voice is that it's filled with diversity and opportunity for all members to participate, one only needs to get involved. Having observed this process repeatedly I can assure you that my observation are that it would be rare indeed to have any "agenda" come from a minority. The BCTF and it's locals are too true to democracy, as slow and sometimes onerous as it is, to be anything else. The opportunity for member engagement and voice is unlike any other union I've observed or belonged to.

If taxpayers aren't standing up and taking notice in order to take action, rectifying such failures in the system then why wouldn't you expect teachers to use their voice. They're front line workers who are seeing the shortfalls and the damage it is doing to public education, to every student in the system. Who will stand up for fully funded public education, against the inane Ministry mandated policies and a system that supports all students (as the Ministry and School Trustees are mandated to do). This is why we're voting for Tamara. As is Catherine Alpha, so to is Tamara willing to do this. Her platform has no hidden agenda. I like that.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

Mike, I hoping you'll share how it is that Mark doesn't tow the party line. This hasn't been my observation at all.

He's an NDP supporter but his voting record is non-partisan. He takes a pragmatic approach to issues and leaves party politics at the door.

Reminder: today is the first voting day at the board offices on Boleskine.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Why can't all of the closed schools be used similarly to Burnside, without such long term leases. Part of Burnside is still used for a SD61 program. This could be the case in all the empty schools, combining community with education so that when enrollments increase again these schools will be available.

I cannot answer to previous board decisions. I think going back over decisions made years ago is not forward thinking.
Even John Young voted to close Blanshard. The board at that time was under incredible strain.
Obviously some lessons have been learned and situations different.

Thanks for the reminder Mike. :)

#25 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

Oh, brother; look who's back:

Georgia-Anne Jones

On the web: jones.georgiaannejones@gmail.com

Background: Georgia-Anne Jones has run for mayor in the past two Victoria municipal elections.

What do you think is the most pressing issue facing the Greater Victoria school district? How would you address it if elected?

If teachers are not losing any pay when they get their week off next spring, is that why they spent $50,000 electing Ms. Alpha to the school board? So that no one on the school board would question this decision, which only costs the poorest people with the most children a lot of money. I requested the school board remove a book my children were forced to read in Grade 5. It shows children hog-tying other children and leaving them on the edge of a canal under a bridge – hidden. It's OK, though, because they're green. When I requested the school board remove this garbage from the curriculum, I got smirks and insane comments from most on the school board.

What would you improve about the school board or its processes?

I have to run in order that others like myself who know the proper books for children to be reading with tasteful art by proper artists etc., can have their input and let common sense rule the day.

Um, okay, so some new voices I definitely don't want to hear!

#26 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

I cannot answer to previous board decisions. I think going back over decisions made years ago is not forward thinking.
Even John Young voted to close Blanshard. The board at that time was under incredible strain.
Obviously some lessons have been learned and situations different.

Thanks for the reminder Mike. :)

True, going back over past years may not be forward thinking but certainly remembering the past is wise indeed and learning from those mistakes even wiser. What do these trustees such as McEvoy, Holland, Leonard, Pitre and Walsh (if he were elected) plan to do with future significant shortfalls that are predicted. Where will they find the money? Will they again say it's pragmatic to sell more schools to pay for the Ministry's shortfalls? I'm seriously asking and very concerned. In the past Mark has consistently stood with the other 5 trustees who voted in favour of school closures, sale of school lands, and long term leases of schools and school lands.

Personally I don't feel Mark Walsh was very pragmatic at all when he introduced the motion to call on the LIberal government to eliminate any rules from the School Act regarding the numbers of students with special needs in a classroom. These limits are essential for students and teachers. Without them teachers cannot teach effectively with classes too large or there are so many special needs that the teacher doesn't have time to address all students. These limits can already be broken by boards with "consultation" and have proven to that they are not educationally sound. If the Liberals were to do what Walsh has requested it would be even more disasterous to student learning conditions.

Honestly, I struggle with defining Walsh as pragmatic given the above examples.

#27 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West
Oh, brother; look who's back:

Georgia-Anne Jones

Background: Georgia-Anne Jones has run for mayor in the past two Victoria municipal elections.

What do you think is the most pressing issue facing the Greater Victoria school district? How would you address it if elected?

If teachers are not losing any pay when they get their week off next spring, is that why they spent $50,000 electing Ms. Alpha to the school board? So that no one on the school board would question this decision, which only costs the poorest people with the most children a lot of money. I requested the school board remove a book my children were forced to read in Grade 5. It shows children hog-tying other children and leaving them on the edge of a canal under a bridge – hidden. It's OK, though, because they're green. When I requested the school board remove this garbage from the curriculum, I got smirks and insane comments from most on the school board.

I have to run in order that others like myself who know the proper books for children to be reading with tasteful art by proper artists etc., can have their input and let common sense rule the day.

Um, okay, so some new voices I definitely don't want to hear!

Just to clarify, the two week spring break was NOT a teacher initiative. According to the Operations, Policy and Planning Committee Meeting minutes of May 11, 2009:

The cost savings are estimated to be between $65,000 and $100,000.

#28 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

True, going back over past years may not be forward thinking but certainly remembering the past is wise indeed and learning from those mistakes even wiser. What do these trustees such as McEvoy, Holland, Leonard, Pitre and Walsh (if he were elected) plan to do with future significant shortfalls that are predicted. Where will they find the money? Will they again say it's pragmatic to sell more schools to pay for the Ministry's shortfalls? I'm seriously asking and very concerned. In the past Mark has consistently stood with the other 5 trustees who voted in favour of school closures, sale of school lands, and long term leases of schools and school lands.

Personally I don't feel Mark Walsh was very pragmatic at all when he introduced the motion to call on the LIberal government to eliminate any rules from the School Act regarding the numbers of students with special needs in a classroom. These limits are essential for students and teachers. Without them teachers cannot teach effectively with classes too large or there are so many special needs that the teacher doesn't have time to address all students. These limits can already be broken by boards with "consultation" and have proven to that they are not educationally sound. If the Liberals were to do what Walsh has requested it would be even more disasterous to student learning conditions.

Honestly, I struggle with defining Walsh as pragmatic given the above examples.

If I recall...didn't the board look at administrative cuts just recently?
That makes more sense than cutting programs, and I have not heard anything about school closure possibilities. In fact it was Shirley Bond who mandated that no schools be closed or land sold.
I find it assumption making to say what the board is going to do.
So I honestly feel like the threat of school closures is meant to instill fear in the general public. I'm tired of hearing about personally. It's sounding like a broken record at this point.

If you're seriously asking and very concerned...Then look at the Ministry!
That's where public pressure needs to be a applied! The district IMO has done everything it can to keep student programming in the face of continuous butchering by the Ministry.
This continuous hate campaign against some of these trustees is just beating a dead horse.
I went through school closure. And once I looked at things from a non-emotional point of view...I got it. I understood why these decisions had to be made. I do believe the board has been doing the best it can with what it's been given.
I want a pragmatic fiscally responsible board and that's why I'm supporting Mark Walsh.

Your reference to Mark's motion concerning special needs in the classroom...was that not a victory against discrimination? Was it not pro-inclusion? That was my understanding.

#29 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

Yes, cutting back admin is definitely sensible but my concern is for next year. Cuts will be much, much deeper. They've already predicted that and they have little to no more in reserve from previous school sales. Where will the money come from? What will be cut? It's not assumptive, they'll have to cut if there are shortfalls.

Closing schools is shortsighted, in my opinion. I want trustees who are going to think about the long term needs of the students in our communities.

Certainly public pressure needs to be on the Ministry but trustees also need to refuse to be an extension of this hatchet arm. How can they be mandated to stand up for public education but not take a strong stand. They'll get fired for doing their job? I'm predicting we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't believe it's a hate campaign, maybe he's a nice guy...I don't know him personally. I have been watching his voting track record and listening to what he has to say about school politics and related issues. It seems important that people know a candidates political track record before going to the polls.

In reference to Walsh's special needs discrimination motion, I agree there is an issue with discrimination. HOWEVER, if there are no limits in place or some sort of system to ensure that the learning environment is educationally sound and all students properly supported, needs met, etc then it's not a victory at all. It's a nightmare and a crime, in my opinion.

#30 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

School Board Scandal
Posted By: Jason Youmans
06/17/2009 8:00 AM

Did ideology drive the campaign against Catherine Alpha?

B y a 5-3 margin, the board of School District 61 has put plans in motion to spend an estimated $44,000 to elect a replacement for ousted trustee Catherine Alpha.

Whether or not the June 27 by-election result stands depends on the outcome of a B.C. Supreme Court action launched by Alpha after she was removed from office for failing to correctly file campaign finance disclosure statements in the months following the November 15, 2008 election.

The majority of the board that has abandoned Alpha to the courts—chair Tom Ferris, vice-chair Michael McEvoy, Elaine Leonard, Jim Holland and Dave Pitre—say they’re just following the rules that govern municipal and school board elections in British Columbia. However, the three dissenting members—Peg Orcherton, Bev Horsman and tireless anti-school-fees campaigner John Young—contend that Alpha has fallen into the ideological chasm that divides the board.

“Catherine Alpha is the victim of an innocent mistake, that’s obvious,” says John Young. “And she should not be victimized by being denied her seat on the school board because of a simple human error. There was a fair way to solve the problem, and there was a political way to solve the problem, and they chose the political way.”

Alpha lost popularity among some trustees and district administrators earlier this year with her calls for a “restoration budget” that reflected the true costs of educating the region’s students.

A strict interpretation of the Local Government Act—which applies to school board elections—supports Alpha’s disqualification, in that her financial agent, Deborah Nohr, submitted only a disclosure form for the Victoria Public Education Coalition, under whose banner Alpha ran, without a declaration signed by Alpha herself.

But Alpha and her supporters say it was an honest mistake based on a misunderstanding of new legislation governing elector organizations and neither Nohr nor Alpha had ever had to file disclosure papers before.

And besides, says seven-year trustee Peg Orcherton, irregularities point to a failure of district staff to handle their election responsibilities with due care and attention. After all, says Orcherton, Alpha submitted her forms on March 12, three days before the cut-off date, but it was not until April 23—after participating in five board meetings in the intervening month (and after the 30-day late filing deadline had passed)—that she was informed of the problem with her paperwork.

“I was very clear that it was either political interference or gross incompetence or both, and I stand by that,” says Orcherton.

Orcherton filed her own disclosure forms on February 23, only to receive notice from district staff later in March asking about their whereabouts. She promptly contacted the district to inquire about the fate of her forms.

“I got an e-mail later saying ‘Oops, sorry, we found them, they’re here,’” says Orcherton. “So, the question is, what happens to those papers? They’re not vetted by anybody at the office? Even though the secretary-treasurer, under our bylaws and under his roles and our regulations, is responsible for running elections? You would think that somebody would have a review and make sure that everything is in order.”

Board chair Tom Ferris offered this assessment of the limits of the secretary-treasurer’s role in an election: “[As a candidate], you do a financial declaration, and so it’s your responsibility as a candidate to say ‘Here’s the money that I brought in for my campaign, here’s where it came from and here’s what I did with it.’”

Orcherton argues it’s apparent district staff have few guidelines for managing post-election matters, so at a May 11 in-camera meeting she brought forward motions demanding clarification of the specific role of district staff in election administration. But the majority of the board voted to defer the matter until a later date.

Ferris says Orcherton’s motions deal with issues bigger than the board. “It’s not something that we as an individual board should take up, because it may have impact on the Municipal Act,” he says. “It may be that as an organization, the British Columbia Association of School Trustees would want to go down that road or they may not, depending on what kind of legal guidance they get, or what kind of advice they had from the Ministry of Education.”

Orcherton sees it differently. “That was tabled, in my view deliberately, because to act on it would acknowledge that there wasn’t a process in place.”

Also at issue, says Orcherton, is how an ad announcing the June 27 by-election—signed off by Chief Electoral Officer Thomas Moore—was able to run in the morning edition of the Times Colonist on Tuesday, May 5, when the trustees had only voted to appoint Moore to the position on the evening of Monday, May 4. “It speaks to issues that I’ve raised with the board before about administration and some board members acting without the authority of the board,” says Orcherton.

Board chair Ferris says the district wanted to avoid a summer election where turnout would be even lower than already predicted and so began putting the election together before the May 4 vote. “This was a decision that I personally took, to make sure that we booked that space,” he says. “Of course it’s the board’s discretion whether to have an election or not, and if the board decides not to have an election, then there’s no election. That doesn’t mean that you can’t book space for an ad.”

Finally, questions remain about the necessity of Alpha’s disqualification. Winning city council candidates in the Duncan, North Cowichan and Ladysmith 2008 municipal elections were all subject to disclosure filing infractions, and all three councillors in question retained seats around their respective tables.

In Duncan, councillor Paul Fletcher—in direct contravention of the Local Government Act—failed to open a separate bank account to manage his campaign expenses. But Duncan mayor Phil Kent says his municipality received legal advice only that there was an option to pursue his removal—an option that mayor and council were not willing to take.

“We looked at the severity of the non-disclosure, we asked the candidate to provide details of the bank account they did use to show a match on the expenditures,” says Kent. “Ultimately, we just didn’t believe that pursuing it was in the best interest of the community.”

Trustee John Young says a simple letter in support of Catherine Alpha signed by all SD 61 trustees to then-education minister Shirley Bond could have avoided her ousting. But that, he says, is not the spirit in which the board majority does business.

“If it was one of their own that had made the mistake, I think they would all come to his or her rescue,” says Young. “But, because a mistake was made by a so-called left-winger, well, the right-wingers see this as a golden opportunity to get one of the left wing off the board. That’s what I think.” M

http://www.mondaymag...d-scandal/news/

#31 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

According to VicNews.com the B.C. supreme court has ruled that Alpha will keep her seat and serve her full term.

#32 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Outspoken advocate for public education and full public funding - Catherine Alpha - is reinstated as School Trustee for Greater Victoria!

The BC Supreme Court ruled today that Catherine and her Financial Agent DID submit Catherine's campaign financing disclosure on time. The Judge noted that her disclosure was non-conforming, but determined that Catherine had acted with due diligence in disclosing her financial information. He ordered a 30 day extension to the filing period. Because Catherine had already provided a second disclosure some time ago, the Judge ruled that Catherine be reinstated and that the June 27 by-election be canceled.

The Judge's decision clearly differs from, and corrects, the School District Secretary-Treasurer's declaration that Catherine had not filed at all -- a decision that was accepted without question by the majority of the other School Trustees (Michael McEvoy, Tom Ferris, Dave Pitre, Elaine Leonard, and Jim Holland) who immediately started the by-election process.

In giving his decision, the Judge also noted that Secretary-Treasurer George Ambeault had a statutory obligation to give notice of non-conforming financial disclosures, but only did so five days after the late-filing deadline.

Catherine Alpha ran last November as a Victoria Public Education Coalition (VPEC) candidate. VPEC has continued to support and work with Catherine on the School Board, fighting for full funding for public education, and in her camapign to return to the School Board. VPEC is celebrating the return of this advocate to School Board.

VPEC also gives great thanks to Tamara Malczewska who has been campaigning as our VPEC candidate in the by-election. Her commitment to public education had already won her wide support and many endorsements.

This is great news - although as has been proven in several other communities preceding this last election that the by-election and court case was unnecessary andat great expense to students.

#33 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

there is justice in Canada - I am amazed and delighted.

#34 think local

think local
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Yes, the judge was very thorough in his deliberation. We too are delighted!

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

I'm not sure of the policies of any of these candidates but I swear to God I will vote against Ferris and the others next election because of this fiasco. Kudos to the judge.

Can we merge the two threads?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#36 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:19 PM

This is such welcome news, although I guess this means I don't get to go to the all candidates forum next week to hear Ms. Jones expand further on her failed efforts to get "The Secret World of Og" banned from our school district.

#37 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

This is such welcome news, although I guess this means I don't get to go to the all candidates forum next week to hear Ms. Jones expand further on her failed efforts to get "The Secret World of Og" banned from our school district.

Welcome to VV Jill - could you expand on your post? What is the "Secret World of Og", why is that relevant?

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:42 AM

Welcome to VV Jill - could you expand on your post? What is the "Secret World of Og", why is that relevant?

As previously posted:

Georgia-Anne Jones

Thanks, Jill. I wanted to know what book Miss Jones was ranting about but didn't know how to go about finding out. It's an old Pierre Berton book! I suppose we go out hunting for the bodies of all the children who died after being inspired by this book. Go, Georgia-Anne! Next target I'm sure will be the chemtrails the government is spraying over BC to control our minds.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

I made the connection to the Pierre Berton classic last night, when I read the first five chapters to my child at bedtime, including the part where the children tie up a little green man.

#40 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

If SD #16 had requested any legal advice before removing Catherine Alpha, they would have been informed that the case for removing her was weak and that the courts would reinstate her.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users