Skywatching and stargazing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
646 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

Spot the International Space Station from Victoria.

ISS news

It was a beautiful clear night last night and I saw something tracking across the sky but it didn't seem to match up with the ISS times so it must have been some other satellite.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

Wow, that's a great photo of the ISS you took there :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

It was a beautiful clear night last night and I saw something tracking across the sky but it didn't seem to match up with the ISS times so it must have been some other satellite.

Having done a fair amount of time myself in the amateaur astronomer game I can tell you that if you stand under a dark sky for ten minutes or so you are virtually guaranteed to see one. There are thousands of bits of flotsam and jetsam in near earth orbit. The ISS would be very bright as was the shuttle when I've seen it on orbit. It was comparable in brightness to Mars or Venus.

But there are enough bits in NEO that you'll see one quite quickly if you watch unless you are pretty unlucky.

The communications satellites in Geosynchronous orbit you would not notice or see without a telescope. GPS satelites are also very hard to observe since they are in 12 hour orbits.

#4 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

So far I have failed to stay up to see it. At least there's a few opportunities.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

I'm confused as to where to look based on:

ISS Mon Jul 06/00:00 AM 4 66 40 above SW 10 above ENE

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

I guess the first figure is when is appears and the second when it disappears. 90 degrees would be straight up so 40 would be about half way.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

My understanding is that it is only visible (from one location) for 5 minutes each orbit. It orbits the earth every 90 minutes.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

40 above SW 10 above ENE

That would be its orbit across the sky - appearing midsky in the SW and travelling to the low sky in the ENE.

#9 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

I am really hoping the sky will stay clear this evening - cleaning the garage yesterday we found a bizarre looking telescope from my mother's old stuff, which we hope to try out.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

That would be its orbit across the sky - appearing midsky in the SW and travelling to the low sky in the ENE.

So if one was to look for this from Clover Point, looking towards Port Angeles would get you a good view?

I might have to check this out.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

bizarre looking telescope

Careful now, maybe it's a transporter device. You might be waking up on the ISS tomorrow :P

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

Saw it from my condo, although it was much higher than I thought 66 degrees would be, almost directly overhead.

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

you can even track ISS on google earth :) http://orbitingfrog....n-google-earth/

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

Saw it twice last night. Man that thing sure does move.

You have no problem picking it out of the night sky that's for sure.

Here is a goto for future orbits over Victoria.

http://spaceflight1....a&city=Victoria

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

Saw it twice last night. Man that thing sure does move.

You have no problem picking it out of the night sky that's for sure.

Here is a goto for future orbits over Victoria.

http://spaceflight1....a&city=Victoria

I saw the midnight pass, looked into the sky for the 1:33 pass but I guess between the clouds and the lower elevation I couldn't see it. It should be brighter tonight as it passes earlier but with the clouds will make it nearly impossible to spot.

Kinda neat looking up there knowing that there are people there. I almost yelled out "wait, throw me a rope I want to join you" but I realized all I'd do is wake the neighbors. :P

I wonder when it will be visible again after the 16th...

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

I took my girlfriend out last night to check out the stars and to our surprise the space station was doing its thing. A jet was flying overhead at the same time and it was incredible to watch the two as they crossed our sky. And isn't there a supply vessel docked to the station right now, making the station appear bigger than it usually is?

I would recommend anyone with an interest in skywatching to pick up National Geographic's Backyard Guide to the Night Sky. It covers all of the basics, and dives into topics that would eventually come up when skywatching

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Kinda neat looking up there knowing that there are people there. I almost yelled out "wait, throw me a rope I want to join you" but I realized all I'd do is wake the neighbors.

I wave at low flying planes. :)

#18 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Drat I keep forgetting about this.

#19 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

If I'm still awake, I'm really going to try to see it tonight:

ISS Wed Jul 15/11:18 PM 4 min

16 above WNW 24 above E

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

I'm almost always awake when it flies over, but it's hard to see it from my place and all the public parks are closed after 11.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users