Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2501 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Why wouldn't I refer to Red Fish Blue Fish as a fish n chip shop? That's what it is. Same as Barb's.

#2502 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'd never done the "running of the goats" thing at Beacon Hill Park until this summer. I had no idea how many people show up for that.

#2503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

Why wouldn't I refer to Red Fish Blue Fish as a fish n chip shop? That's what it is. Same as Barb's.

Fish n chips is a very specific kind of food, though. Calling RFBF fish n chips is like calling Tacofino a Mexican eatery. Barb's is also in James Bay, and not in downtown Victoria.

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is playing up the silly fish n chips thing just goes to show whoever wrote that has absolutely zero idea what's transpired in this city since they last visited in 1985.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2504 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Did they even mention downtown? The whales also aren't in downtown.

#2505 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

No, but I sure did. If a city is known for a whole bunch of something somethings, which they say it is, and those something somethings are in actuality nowhere to be found except for one several kilometres from where a hungry traveller would expect to find a concentration of them, is it really known for those something somethings? I mean, Victoria (actually) has more taco joints than fish n chip shops, lolz.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2506 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

...Victoria (actually) has more taco joints than fish n chip shops...

And more pot shops than taco & fish-n-chips shops combined. Did the article mention that?

#2507 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

Oak Bay Beach Hotel:

...we had arrived early so we asked about a scenic walk and we were told we would have to wait till the concierge arrived. After waiting a lengthy time to talk to the concierge, we abandoned this and explored ourselves. All you have to do is turn left coming out of the hotel to see beautiful beautiful views!!! I do not know why they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful at the front desk and even told us this.

from TripAdvisor.com...

• Rob Randall and nerka like this

#2508 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

^50/50 chance they turned right instead of left, surely then their trip could have ended in disaster. You have to be careful with those unauthorized walks.

• Nparker likes this

#2509 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

You definitely don't want to make a wrong turn and end up on the bad parts of Beach Drive. You'll know you've ventured into the sketchier areas when you see houses that have indirect ocean views, Porsche Boxsters parked in driveways, etc.

It's funny, even walking straight back into the neighbourhood would have been pleasant enough. But then again, a tourist can't really be faulted for asking. Why were the (presumably local) hotel staff hesitant to make a recommendation? This comes back to my old thing about Victorians not grasping how unique the oceanfront setting is. Surely the ocean views and the multi-million dollar waterfront neighbourhoods in Edmonton are better?

Something else that I've been thinking about: the top of Mt. Tolmie can be full of people at busy times. I really enjoy it when it's like that. It makes me wish the railings and sidewalks and steps were dressed up a bit. The view from there is a genuine and worthy attraction.

#2510 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

To be fair, a machete-wielding maniac is on the "right turn" route from the hotel, last we knew.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2511 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

Why were the (presumably local) hotel staff hesitant to make a recommendation?

Is the hotel still being managed by Ernst & Young accountants? I wonder if the fact that it's being run by some sort of faceless holding company and there isn't a passionate owner/operator impacts staff enthusiasm.

#2512 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

To be fair, a machete-wielding maniac is on the "right turn" route from the hotel...

That's a despicable smear against right turns and you know it. That same machete-wielding maniac could just as easily be lurking on the "left turn" route.

You know, the immediate vicinity has associations with a surprising number of grim things:

- the machete attack at Willows Beach

- the King George Terrace murder/suicide

- the Sealand tragedy

- the headless skeleton buried at Tod House

- Trial Island shipwrecks

- golf course murder/ghost

Upon further review it might be best for tourists to just remain on the hotel property.

• VicHockeyFan and nerka like this

#2513 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Upon further review it might be best for tourists to just remain on the hotel property.

And get scammed by Christophe Rocancourt?!

• aastra and Jill like this

#2514 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Where do they come up with this quiet and adorable nonsense? Good grief. 

http://www.dailycal....columbia-least/

It's probably from the same person who wrote "totally tubular BMX riding" and "the way they pronounce “spaghetti” is adorable".

#2515 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Is the hotel still being managed by Ernst & Young accountants? I wonder if the fact that it's being run by some sort of faceless holding company and there isn't a passionate owner/operator impacts staff enthusiasm.

More info: http://victoria.citi...s-expectations/

The management firm is REV Investments. My take-away from all of this is that someone was being silly and/or thought the concierge was just around the corner. It happens. 

Know it all.

#2516 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

I think they might have felt the concierge could give them, and explain points of interest on maps etc.  That would make sense.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 July 2017 - 02:50 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2517 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

I think they might have felt the concierge could give them, and explain points of interest on maps etc...

Yeah, that's sort of the purpose of a concierge.

#2518 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

I'd never done the "running of the goats" thing at Beacon Hill Park until this summer. I had no idea how many people show up for that.

You need a crash helmet for that event as you can get bunted right through the chain fence.

#2519 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

Exactly. There were so many people there, I was getting knocked around like crazy. I ended up grabbing a goat and using it as a hircine shield.

#2520 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

To be fair, a machete-wielding maniac is on the "right turn" route from the hotel, last we knew.

He could be closer than that, if the hotel kitchen hired him.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users