Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] Funding discussion

• Please log in to reply
1523 replies to this topic

#101 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Well, I'm 99% certain that the Province will NOT grant funding to this scheme, and if the other councilors don't stop Fortin by breaking ranks on this, I really won't know what to say.

This will cast Victoria into the biggest debt-hole ever, and just how we're supposed to get out of it is beyond me.

Maybe when the city is totally bankrupt, we can hold a fire sale and sell it to the highest bidder (Saanich and Oak Bay, if they'll have us). ...Would be one way to initiate amalgamation, I guess.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#102 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Bernard, I thought that the $63 M. included a 30% contingency?
I wouldn't hold your breath for what you are asking - it seems as if it is full speed ahead and damn the cost overruns...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#103 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

Bernard, I thought that the $63 M. included a 30% contingency?
I wouldn't hold your breath for what you are asking - it seems as if it is full speed ahead and damn the cost overruns...

He means that yes it includes a contingency fund but the $63 million estimate is itself a broad guess at the possible cost as opposed to a true estimate. It's one thing to say we think it will cost this much and another for a contractor to say it will cost this much for us to build it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#104 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Word: Gordon Campbell will be announcing which projects get infrastructure funding today (Thursday) at 1:00 pm in Vancouver. No idea whether any news media will be covering the announcement live.

#105 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

Word: Gordon Campbell will be announcing which projects get infrastructure funding today (Thursday) at 1:00 pm in Vancouver. No idea whether any news media will be covering the announcement live.

Something tells me that the Premier's impending announcement and tonight's by Mayor Fortin is not an example of synchronicity.

Are people really going to be fooled by Campbell and Co's infrastructure cheerleading session as we suffer death by a thousand cuts to funding for everything else like those to Autism programs, sports grants($14M less than last year), arts grants, the healthy pregnancy program, not to mention the cuts to VIHA and other hospital authority's budgets?

I really hope Campbell gets his feet held to fire for spending $21M on an unnecessary new bridge rather than helping kids with autism, staffing VGH's new Emergency Department with nurses or making sure people get timely MRI's.

#106 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

Well, it's 1:30, and nothing on CBC news or the government's website about new funding...??
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#107 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

Here is a link that will get updated with whatever announcement they make.

It already has Alberta's project announcements from earlier today as well as the announcement that we should expect the same from BC.

http://www.marketwir...companyid=47051

#108 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

Great find R0ark! Thanks!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#109 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

There is also this link from the Sun that will get updated shortly as well:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Feds+province+announce+million+plus+infrastructure+projects/2029448/story.html

It looks like BC is getting a lot of project money compared to Alberta. I just wish they would hurry up and publish the details!

#110 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

Feds, province announce $700 million-plus in infrastructure projects
Vancouver Sun
September 24, 2009 1:43 PM

Premier Gordon Campbell made a major federal-provincial agreement on additional infrastructure Thursday.

VANCOUVER — Premier Gordon Campbell announced today that the province, the federal government and municipalities are combining on an additional $790 million in infrastructure projects across the province.
Those 174 new projects will result in an additional 4,600 jobs across B.C., Campbell said.

The premier was accompanied by federal House leader Jay Hill, the member of Parliament for Prince George-Peace River.

More to come on this breaking story …

Here are the first trickles...maybe NW or CFAX will run it at their top of the hour newscasts?

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Here are the first trickles...maybe NW or CFAX will run it at their top of the hour newscasts?

Nothing on CFAX at 2pm.

#112 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

Nothing on CFAX at 2pm.

Nothing on NW, either - mind you, the Christy Clark Show is on, so I think she will probably pick it up.

#113 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

I don't see it on the Government's list of projects in the news release.

For Immediate Release
2009PREM0038-000403
September 24, 2009
Office of the Premier
Government of Canada

In total, 84 projects are being funded today under the Communities Component of the Building Canada Fund valued at $376 million. This represents an investment of $117 million from the Government of Canada, and $117 million from the Government of British Columbia. Local municipalities are providing the balance of the remaining costs. A list of projects is below.

BC - HVAC Upgrade to First peoples Gallery Royal BC Museum (Victoria) Total funding: $2,700,000

Steel Watermain Rehabilitation - Stage 2 (Victoria) Total funding: $5,019,000

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#114 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

http://www2.news.gov...0038-000403.htm

It's not there!!!!!!

WoooHOOO!

#115 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

Woot!

Fantastic news!

Now,... let's see how this affects the councilors around the table this afternoon...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

Nothing for Victoria except a $5M steel water main project.

Saanich got $4M for the David Foster Arts Centre at CHRC.

Langford got $13M for City Centre Park.

All figures include all three levels of funding.

#117 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

I am going to print the list out and bring it to the meeting for all to see.

Suddenly, 5 o'clock cannot come fast enough now.

:D

#118 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

This is stunning. Not even anything about the Crystal Pool which was Plan B.

Museum HVAC would seem to me to be ordinary maintenance of Provincial property while watermain fixes are badly overdue and already scheduled (weren't they?) In other words, nothing that would not normally be coming our way stimulus or no stimulus. We've been stiffed.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

I am going to print the list out and bring it to the meeting for all to see.

Suddenly, 5 o'clock cannot come fast enough now.

:D

Maybe make multiple copies.

#120 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

Maybe make multiple copies.

Done and done. I will have 5 copies with me. You'll know me by the wicked grin on my face and the blue checked shirt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users