Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] Funding discussion

• Please log in to reply
1523 replies to this topic

#1501 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

You really think that you get the 'best' people running for municipal politics? The one thing that amalgamation MIGHT do is at least allow us to pay councilors and the Mayor proper full time wages which might then attract more capable (but not the best) people. Of course what will happen though is that voters will squawk at paying $100K+ to councilors and $200K+ to the Mayor so we will be back at square one.

Best was in quotes. As in best you can attract to the job. And certainly, I think a reasonable salary is a great idea, unless you just want dilettantes.
  • Nparker likes this

#1502 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

Mike K., on 21 Apr 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that while we may be highly critical of what is happening in Victoria, there is a different kind of political favoratism playing out on the Westshore, albeit the parallels are similar.

Sometimes when you can climb a mountain, sit in an alpine environment and stare down at the world below you realize that at the end of the day politics is a game benefiting a select few connected to the upper echelons of power.

Hmmm, maybe, but it doesn't impact residents negatively, everything is transparent.

Any business person who wins office is going to be in the same position, and the reason they run is to improve their and everybody else's business profits.

Nobody seeks office to hurt themselves financially.

When my mayor charges nothing for expenses, salary is a pittance, and things get built and improved, I'm ok if he and everybody else makes some money along the way.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:39 PM

Of course, but the line between serving the community and serving corporate interests is blurred when you have a mayor who also operates businesses that profit from the community (particularly a fast growing growing community) in multiple ways.

I think Stu Young is great, but I just want to ensure we're all aware that some communities are under the magnifying glass far more than others.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1504 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

Mike K., on 21 Apr 2016 - 8:39 PM, said:

Of course, but the line between serving the community and serving corporate interests is blurred when you have a mayor who also operates businesses that profit from the community (particularly a fast growing growing community) in multiple ways.

I think Stu Young is great, but I just want to ensure we're all aware that some communities are under the magnifying glass far more than others.

His companies, at least the ones I deal with, provide good service and great value. I can't ask for more than that.

When you ignore all the taxpayers, let your city descend into lawlessness and promote poverty you can rest assured that the magnifying glass will be on you, and with good reason.

• Mike K. and 57WestHills like this

#1505 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

...When you ignore all the taxpayers, let your city descend into lawlessness and promote poverty you can rest assured that the magnifying glass will be on you, and with good reason.

I certainly can't argue with this, but I am also suspicious of EVERYONE who holds public office. Even Stu wouldn't escape my magnifying glass if I were a taxpayer in Langford.

#1506 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

Hmmm, maybe, but it doesn't impact residents negatively, everything is transparent.

Any business person who wins office is going to be in the same position, and the reason they run is to improve their and everybody else's business profits.

Nobody seeks office to hurt themselves financially.

When my mayor charges nothing for expenses, salary is a pittance, and things get built and improved, I'm ok if he and everybody else makes some money along the way.

I think that there are two groups. The first group has a vested or business interest that they want to protect/ pursue as you point out while the second are the true activists that see the position as a social platform.

#1507 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

Once upon a time politics attracted the best and brightest. I think the demands of the job, the impossible hours, constant scrutiny, personal attacks and the impossibility of pleasing everybody make it more and more difficult to get top people. Face it, someone can make a good living, even get rich, in the professions or business without having to endure personal smears and dodging bricks from the public and the media. And actually get to spend time with family.
There are still idealistic people but I tend to think more and more that elected politics attracts narcissists, rich guys who think their money has given them all the answers or ego cases who are convinced of their own magnificence. For the most part we end up with mediocrities in over their heads, inexperienced idealogues, egomaniacs pursuing marginal agendas or trained seals doing tricks for their masters hiding behind the curtain.
It brings me down but I don't know what can be done.

Edited by johnk, 22 April 2016 - 02:23 PM.

• Nparker, spanky123 and JanionGuy like this

#1508 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

spanky123, on 21 Apr 2016 - 8:59 PM, said:

I think that there are two groups. The first group has a vested or business interest that they want to protect/ pursue as you point out while the second are the true activists that see the position as a social platform.

You're right there are two groups. That's why I said "any business person" in my post.

When you elect social activists why do people act surprised when it turns out like it does?

When I saw that video of Issit that was posted on here before the election, I honestly felt that there was nobody but a few like minded idiots that would vote for him, Imagine my surprise when he was the highest polling councillor. There is either a larger pool of like minded fools in Victoria city than I thought, or there are a lot of other surprised people in the city, that maybe didn't do their due diligence before voting.

The next election should give us the answer.

#1509 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:40 PM

....When I saw that video of Issit that was posted on here before the election, I honestly felt that there was nobody but a few like minded idiots that would vote for him, Imagine my surprise when he was the highest polling councillor. There is either a larger pool of like minded fools in Victoria city than I thought, or there are a lot of other surprised people in the city, that maybe didn't do their due diligence before voting....The next election should give us the answer.

Perhaps this is why Comrade Isitt is hoping SIC is still around in 2 years; he's counting on a sizable number of votes coming his way from the former park.

#1510 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

Interesting news out of St. Catharines, Ontario where another bridge boondoggle is occurring with the Burgoyne Bridge project. Originally touted as a $54 million project, the cost has ballooned to $91 million (sound familiar?). Niagara Region council have now opted for a police investigation into the financials around the project after an anonymous tip led Council to discover information that was previously withheld by Niagara Region staff. This bridge project was previously audited by Deloitte, where some concerns were raised around the value for money of the project.

I'm certainly not saying there is is any criminal activity around the JSB bridge, but thought the comparison of the two bridge projects was similar. Very interesting stuff. Niagara Region council actually put in place an audit committee to look into why the costs have escalated so quickly. Is Victoria City Council looking into somthing similar?

• Nparker likes this

#1511 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:54 PM

Is it necessary? They awarded the bid on an artists concept and didn't have a fixed costs contract. Nobody wanted to know what the real cost for the artists concept would be because no one wild have voted to approve it.

#1512 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:12 PM

[ snip ]

I'm certainly not saying there is is any criminal activity around the JSB bridge, but thought the comparison of the two bridge projects was similar. Very interesting stuff. Niagara Region council actually put in place an audit committee to look into why the costs have escalated so quickly. Is Victoria City Council looking into somthing similar?

Broadland, writing for Focus Magazine over the years, has not literally said it, but the evidence he raised was damning and compelling.  I'm impressed that he hasn't given in to the temptation.  That there's been no public audit speaks very poorly about city hall.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#1513 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

The fendering debate has been going on for awhile.

A Committee of Victoria Council has voted reluctantly to increase the Johnson Street Bridge project budget by more than 8.2 million dollars.
The increase brings the total project cost to 105 million...although not all of that amount will necessarily be spent.

Two million of it is a recommended contingency.
 Council was reminded there are still two elements to come...,there's no amount budgeted yet for fendering or for landscaping on the west side of the channel.

http://www.cfax1070....uctant-approval

#1514 Dubie

Dubie
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Support this petition to save our city's heritage landmark, The Johnson Street Bridge, locked upright for all time. Our bridge has held records for a counter weight style bridge since 1924. Joseph Strauss designed this Bascule bridge and later designed The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Don't let them tear down our heritage landmarks, that define our city. It's criminal ! Keep it locked in an upright position. It will compliment the replacement Johnson Street Bridge, that's on its right. They are a similar direction lifting bridge style. Imagine both bridge spans raised together, side by side, at the end of Johnson street, like a salute from the past to the future ! We can transform the deck of the bridge in to a canvas. Have local artists display a mural,that we can change every five or six months. Email me if you have any thoughts Sheldon: dubie_tie_dye_and_hemp@yahoo.ca

#1515 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Or... Scap it. Use the land for better traffic flow off the new bridge. Maybe sell the south piece of the land. Hey a "Blue Brige" pub in the Northern Junk site, with an actual piece of the superstructure on display would be pretty cool.

#1516 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

Pretty sure "locking it" in the upright position does not prevent it from falling .. and maybe onto our new bridge... in an earthquake.  Most of us on here support keeping it around for maybe a foot bridge (or pier?) at Rock Bay etc.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 September 2017 - 12:33 PM.

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1517 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

Support this petition to save our city's heritage landmark, The Johnson Street Bridge, locked upright for all time...

Too tall. It will block my view of the Sooke Hills.

#1518 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Most of us on here support keeping it around for maybe a foot bridge (or pier?) at Rock Bay etc.

The piece to have kept for a foot bridge would have been the narrower rail span.

can bet the city will not want any reminders hanging around that will haunt them, once the new bridge gets some "pack rust on the h inside parts of the beams.

#1519 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:19 AM

AUDITOR GENERAL FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT

December 18th, 2020

City of Victoria, Johnson Street Bridge Audit

WHAT IS THE AGLG

 The Auditor General for Local Government (AGLG) is an independent office that was
established by legislation to conduct performance audits of local governments to assist in
their accountability to communities.

WHAT WAS PLANNED

 This performance audit was on the topic, “Local Government’s Capital Project
Management.”
 The audit set out to examine the local government’s capital project management practices
for the Johnson Street Bridge replacement project.

WHY IS THE AGLG NOT COMPLETING THIS AUDIT

 The completion of the City of Victoria audit has been negatively impacted by the Covid-19
Pandemic.
 PHO travel and other health directives have restricted the AGLG’s ability to complete the
audit using its normal audit procedures.
 The AGLG Office will close in 2021 and is unable to complete this audit before that time.

ARE THERE TOOLS AVAILABLE TO ASSIST LOCAL GOVERMENTS ON CAPITAL
PROJECT MANAGEMENT?

 The AGLG recently completed audits on capital project management for two local
governments (Township of Langley and District of Mackenzie) and previously released
reports on the related topics of capital procurement and asset management.
 The office also recently released an AGLG Perspectives Series booklet on capital project
management.

City of Victoria Audit Backgrounder

Mike Furey, Acting Auditor General for Local Government

#1520 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:26 AM

Another break for the CoV courtesy of the pandemic.

I guess local governments are functioning so well the Province decided there is no need for any accountability or oversight.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users