Photo

Shizen Sushi | Victoria | 1706 Government St.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,779 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

I've been going to Shizen Sushi at least once every two weeks for about a year. The sushi is of very high quality while the prices are reasonable. There is lots of variety on the menu and unlike other sushi places, each roll is made with great care and attention to detail.

The other day I wanted step in for a late dinner but found myself falling back on plan b due to a private event being held at the restaurant. The other sushi place, which will go unnamed, made me realize just how spoiled Shizen has made me!

http://www.shizensushi.ca/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

I don't know how many times I've walked by there. Thanks for the tip.

Have you had the tuna tataki? That's my weakness. lol

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

I think it might be the best Sushi place in town. I still like Sen Zushi for their fried squid but unless I'm specifically in a fried squid mood - Shizen is my first choice.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#4 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

^ Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it out!

Unfortunate name, though, depending on how you decide to pronounce it....

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

This used to be Peking House restaurant, correct?

I consider the sushi heavyweights in this town to be Kaz on Store and the venerable Japanese Village on Broughton. I've been to a lot of sushi places and I consider the above two the ones the others are measured against in terms of taste, ambience, service and value. I haven't tried Shizen but am willing to give them a try.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

I was searching for a new Japanese venue as myself and a few others have been turning off of Japanese Village. Yes have loved the food, but have had some bad experiences unfortunately.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

I've never been able to find better value or quality than Koto, by a very very long shot. Order the "surprising roll" and you'll be in taste heaven.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 phx

phx
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

Futaba is my favourite.

#9 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hands down best quality for me is ebizo, followed by Shizen and finally Fujiya's chicken karage.

#10 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

Kaz has disapointed me a couple of times since changing ownership. Long waits for sushi that I considered a little bit small in portion considering the price.

Futaba probably has the best tofu in town imo, and they offer brown rice if you want it.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,779 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

Went there last night and ordered take-out. Turns out you receive a discount for take-out orders.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,779 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

According to post on the general "sushi" discussion thread, Shizen is opening a second location on Blanshard Street, north of Fort.

Know it all.

#13 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

According to post on the general "sushi" discussion thread, Shizen is opening a second location on Blanshard Street, north of Fort.

I inquired today and the owner of Shizen said it was a rumour. He said that they have enough debt with just one restaurant ;)

#14 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hmm, then the sign on the new location should probably be removed. It's in the window of the old "cyber-something" internet cafe.

#15 Penelope

Penelope
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Shiki Sushi is moving to this location. They are currently just around the corner on Fort Street.

#16 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

oh, ok

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users