Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#281 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

With Walmart and Save on Foods already in the area, and the nearest Thrifty Foods only a couple of km away, I wonder if they are choosing the right location. I think a good location is one that is on the right hand side of the road for commuters on their way home. The location that Whole Foods has chosen is on a one way street heading into Victoria.

Yes, very interesting.

63% of CFAX poll-takers are not familiar with the Whole Foods brand.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#282 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

A great place for a Whole Foods would be the St Andrew's School project. The anti-corporate activists would have thrown a fit, though. Whatever goes in there will have to be a locally managed NFP that is carbon neutral, veganic, gluten free and non GMO. Maybe a weed dispensary or something.

Whole Foods is more of a destination marketplace than Thrifty's or Save on Foods. Foodies and yuppies are more likely to go out of their way to get to a Whole Foods. Not that Uptown is really out of the way. It's pretty central. The Wal-Mart target market is much different than Whole Foods', so I don't think there's much to worry about there. Save On and Wal-Mart have more in common with each other than they do with Whole Foods.

• Nparker, Mixed365 and Daveyboy like this

#283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,818 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

A great place for a Whole Foods would be the St Andrew's School project...

I'd LOVE to have Whole Foods 2 blocks from my place, but something tells me North Park is not their desired demographic. :(

• jonny likes this

#284 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

I'd LOVE to have Whole Foods 2 blocks from my place, but something tells me North Park is not their desired demographic. :(

I don't see why that would be the case.  They could bring their fresh produce and chickens in by bicycle from the growers and farmers across the street. 

Talk about food security!

• Nparker and jonny like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#285 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Yeah I'd have said whole foods would have done better on Pandora with a lot of foot traffic than on the road out to Langford. All the hipsters in north park, fernwood and downtown are exactly the clientele who like whole foods.

#286 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

We will end up having one Whole Foods in the region and what better location than Uptown?  Serves Saanich Peninsula, Victoria, and is close enough to every one of our 13 special little municipalities!

• jonny, Mixed365 and D.L. like this

#287 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Yeah, Uptown is the most central commercial area in the region

• jonny and Mixed365 like this

#288 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

I don't see why that would be the case.  They could bring their fresh produce and chickens in by bicycle from the growers and farmers across the street. 

Talk about food security!

Why did the Chicken cross Mason Street?

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#289 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,351 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

Why did the Chicken cross Mason Street?

To visit the ancient school house... I think that answer will apply for a long time yet.

#290 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

You do realize the entire section on the second floor under the clock tower is leased and under construction (Shaw Call Centre). Third floor is now 75% filed (Steve Nash adding 6000 Sq ft.), While the Fourth is 50% filed. The fatal on the first floor is 30%. The area where Western Union is, the second floor is empty and only about 20% is left. retail in pear one is full on the Avenue and about 50% on the back side. Office space in pase one is well over 70%.

Sections without retail Tenants yes, but hardly 50% empty.

The office complexes facing Douglas are empty.

#291 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Yeah I'd have said whole foods would have done better on Pandora with a lot of foot traffic than on the road out to Langford. All the hipsters in north park, fernwood and downtown are exactly the clientele who like whole foods.

The hipsters will need to drive past Lifestyle Markets and the Market at Yates to get to Whole Foods. They also need to spend 30 minutes in the car to be environmentally friendly!

I don't know if the demo they go after is large enough to support a 40,000 sq ft store. I guess we will see. I am sure that Morguard gave them a sweatheart deal so that may cover them for a few years. The area around Uptown are definitely Walmart and Save-on shoppers.  

Edited by spanky123, 12 February 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#292 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

Broadmead is only five minutes away.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#293 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

You do realize the entire section on the second floor under the clock tower is leased and under construction (Shaw Call Centre). Third floor is now 75% filed (Steve Nash adding 6000 Sq ft.), While the Fourth is 50% filed. The fatal on the first floor is 30%. The area where Western Union is, the second floor is empty and only about 20% is left. retail in pear one is full on the Avenue and about 50% on the back side. Office space in pase one is well over 70%.

Sections without retail Tenants yes, but hardly 50% empty.

You are more than correct sdwright.vic. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#294 LJ

LJ
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

bluefox, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:50 PM, said:

How did you shop at a store that doesn't exist? :P

I think you meant Choices Market; there's no WFM in Surrey. Three in Vancouver, one in West Van, and stores under construction in Burnaby and North Van.

By gosh you're right. I must have misremembered, but in my defense the car I was in never took a RPG hit while I visited the store that one time.

• Bingo, bluefox, jonny and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#295 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:54 AM

Could this be the end of Lifestyle Markets? I always wonder how the small store in CSV hangs on. And in 2016 if you're already on Douglas, you might as well bypass the Lifestyles and head for Whole Foods.

Very easy: lots of people live near there and walk/bike to CSV. Where they make many, small purchases.

Also, distance still matters for a lot of people. Not everybody drives or wants to drive long distances to go shopping.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#296 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

Distance?!? What is this distance you speak of? We live in Victoria, there is no distance here.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 13 February 2015 - 04:46 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#297 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,818 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

...We love in Victoria, there is no distance here.

Of course where there is LOVE there is no real distance.  ;)

• sdwright.vic likes this

#298 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:05 AM

Darn it... LIVE, LIVE!

How do I clear my predictive text memory? It's all over the place these days.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#299 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

Distance?!? What is this distance you speak of? We love in Victoria, there is no distance here.

Save some for your Valentine.

#300 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

Whole Foods in the US has beer and wine sections and I would expect the same here.

The ones over here in Vancouver do not.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users