- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#481 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

The Root Cellar is celebrating 10 years in business.

Wish they had more locations 

#482 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

Peanuts seem to go on sale a lot in this town. Seen them at about $5/KG at Bulk Barn, Shoppers, Save on and Walmart at different points...

#483 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

My grocery shopping experience has been very good, thanks to keeping track of the weekly offers at the Market on Yates. I'm not a picky eater so I don't mind discounts dictating what I'll have for the week. :P

#484 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

The price of food could increase by up to 3.5 per cent in 2019, an annual study of food prices predicts,

but there's good news for Canadian consumers buying meat and seafood, which are projected to become cheaper. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-2019-1.4930130

food-price-forecast-2019.jpg

#485 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:58 PM

Bakery is already obnoxiously expensive to begin with.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#486 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

Good. Looking forward to those prime ribs getting back to reasonable prices.

• Matt R. and Bingo like this

#487 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:19 PM

Meat & Seafood are projected to trend in the right direction so all good there :thumbsup: ; the only real impact to us will be veggies which we do eat a lot of. Otherwise little to no effect. We eat out only occasionally so if this projection is remotely close to reality we are in the fortunate position to really not notice thankfully; I'm well aware there are (far too many) people in this town who can't shrug this off as easily as most of us....

• Matt R. likes this

#488 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

Well Mr. Costco will be getting an earful from me; we occasionally purchase from their frozen food section a boxed 6 pack of teriyaki rice/chicken/shredded veggies/peppers which I sometimes use as a base with a bunch of other ingredients to make a stir fry in the wok.

Did that tonight, added shrimp, fresh garlic, serrano peppers, some spices and a few other items and settled in for a chow down when, on the first mouthful, I bit down and there is an audible "crunch" on what I thought might perhaps be a small piece of chicken bone. No such luck: it was a friggin' metal safety pin.....

#489 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

...I bit down and there is an audible "crunch" on what I thought might perhaps be a small piece of chicken bone. No such luck: it was a friggin' metal safety pin.....

Those changes to the Canada Food Guide are really something aren't they?

• AllseeingEye likes this

#490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:22 PM

Well Mr. Costco will be getting an earful from me; we occasionally purchase from their frozen food section a boxed 6 pack of teriyaki rice/chicken/shredded veggies/peppers which I sometimes use as a base with a bunch of other ingredients to make a stir fry in the wok.

Did that tonight, added shrimp, fresh garlic, serrano peppers, some spices and a few other items and settled in for a chow down when, on the first mouthful, I bit down and there is an audible "crunch" on what I thought might perhaps be a small piece of chicken bone. No such luck: it was a friggin' metal safety pin.....

You’re fortunate to have caught that. Let us know how it goes when you call the company. I think that might be more helpful than going into the store.
  • Rob Randall likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#491 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:47 PM

You’re fortunate to have caught that. Let us know how it goes when you call the company. I think that might be more helpful than going into the store.

I was more than fortunate as the actual sharp pointy bit was in the unclasped "open" position. I was damn fortunate not to drive it into my tongue, gums or the roof of my mouth.

#492 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

Safety pin probably fell off the diaper of the child labourers working in the factory.

In other labour news, Broadmead Thrifty has installed self-checkout. In this case, staff don't mind robots replacing jobs as they have been struggling to find qualified staff to work the tills.

• thundergun likes this

#493 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

Its a said day when you can't find qualified people to drag things across a scanner, place them in a bag, and be able to count.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#494 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

no counting required. just scan each item even if there are 6 identical ones.

#495 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

I get the impression the supermarkets near UVic and Camosun don't suffer the same staffing shortages.

But yeah, I think Victoria is at full employment. Any motivated person can find work. Us oldsters recall when that was not the case.

• tjv likes this

#496 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

Its a said day when you can't find qualified people to drag things across a scanner, place them in a bag, and be able to count.

If it's anything like other corporate retail businesses, the issue is not finding employees, the issue is a low cap on payroll, i.e. head office will only allow a certain number of scheduled work hours each week.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#497 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

If it's anything like other corporate retail businesses, the issue is not finding employees, the issue is a low cap on payroll, i.e. head office will only allow a certain number of scheduled work hours each week.

it's a very very low margin business (retail groceries) you can't blame them.  they would gear the allowable cashier total hours to sales levels right jackerbie?  ie. if the store sells $1,700,000 per week gross they get X number of total cashier hours each week.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#498 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

London Drugs downtown [I suppose technically in Harris Green] now has self checkout scanners as well. 

#499 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

London Drugs downtown [I suppose technically in Harris Green] now has self checkout scanners as well. 

They have 2 and the other day one had a full-time staff member assisting customers with it. Not much of savings in dollars and none in time since it was taking each person about twice as long to get through the process. I refuse to use them on principle.

• mbjj likes this

#500 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

I think the cost of the assistant gets scaled in over time. i admit I avoid them mostly but once you’ve mastered them.... i’ll take them over a long line.

I have a friend that “accidentally” misses scanning a few items often. she’s all in favour of them.

it’ll be interesting to see how the new shoppers downtown utilizes then in a fresh build.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2019 - 10:07 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)