Direct Buy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

I believe the store here has gone bankrupt.

Anyone know anyone that is/was a member?

The TC still has a banner ad for the thing, do the other outlets (on the mainland) honour the local stores memberships?

Anyone?

I know the thing costs at least $3000 to join, then I'm not sure what the yearly dues are.

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

The corporate Direct Buy website lists Coquitlam and Kelowna as their only BC locations. I thought I had read/hear somewhere that they closed their doors a couple of months back. Could it be that Victorians were less suseptable to being unneccesarily bilked out of dollars than elsewhere?

After initially posting this, I remembered that I had a friend who signed up and did his entire house (custome job in Bear Mountain) - so I flipped him an email asking about it. He told me that it was and is still really good - and that it has actually become easier to order stuff online, now that the showroom has closed. Maybe it's good because he did an entire house?

I also remember watching Marketplace earlier in the year and it saying that when you factor in shipping and stuff, plus the initiation fee that it is a total scam. Mind you, take any 'investigative journalism' that Wendy Mesley does with a grain of salt.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Direct is a total rip-off unless you are actaully going to use all their material in a substantial home renovation. That said you have to choose from what they have available and from a friend of mine that uses them that selection is rather "home depot"ish and not the most cutting edge on style. That said if you like 1990 McMansions you will be pleased with the cheap oak cabinetry.

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

There are some things that they do that makes the membership fee worth your time, but you have to be considering spending $20K or more and know the deals out there. Big house renovations are one of the few times it makes any sense, but you can not get price quotes before you join, so it is a crap shoot at best.

#5 LJ

LJ
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

Good riddance. I went to a "presentation" in their local office. What a joke. They even had shills in the showroom pretending to buy stuff. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
A friend who got a free membership used them when he built his house, he won't do that again. Try getting quality people to install your flooring and cabinets.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users