Photo

Belfry Theatre

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

I didn't label "indigenous anything" as doublespeak ... I labeled the phrase "decolonizing of the body" as doublespeak - because that's what it is.

There's no such thing as "decolonization of the body", because it's a fabricated term, put forward by an artist as part of an artistic work.

I'm also not a "settler" of any kind. I was born in Victoria, and I've spent my life here. Please refrain from putting any sort of label on me, as might suit your personal interpretation of my post.

In short, please don't attempt to project your personal agenda in my direction. I didn't ask for it, and it's unwelcome.

Thanks.

You were the one who chose to speak about the legitimacy of the "decolonization of the body," which is neither made up nor unique to this piece of art.

#22 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

If you feel the assemblage of words "decolonization of the body" is a real thing simply because somebody applied a fabricated definition to it ...  fill your boots settler!

#23 Greg

Greg
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

It's artistic doublespeak - a fabricated "thing" designed by the artist to try and explain their artwork (whatever that artwork might be) in an effort to market it to potential ticket buyers.

It's the same kind of phraseology (only more convoluted) as "white settlers guilt".

From the artists own explanation:

“This community-focused initiative honours Indigenous worldviews as they relate to reconciliation and community healing,” said Lindsay Delaronde. “Pendulum brings new life into the context of theatre and decolonizes the art form, which Indigenous peoples are so often left out of.”

I'll go out on a limb and note that many who fancy themselves artistically enlightened in the traditional sense probably wouldn't enjoy this ... I know I wouldn't.

As live performances start to move away from traditional forms like dance, musical theatre, opera, and pop concerts - and transition into "new experimental forms" and "new experimental themes", those new forms and themes can often be difficult to enjoy from an entertainment point of view, and are really designed more to send the viewer away aware of, if not now sharing the artists highly political agenda.

If I was guessing, I'd guess that Rage Flowers is probably some sort of contemporary performance incorporating dance, with live vocalizations and instrumentation and/or recorded effects, likely designed to imply that the performers are ridding themselves of rage built up over time at (presumably) colonization, and all that goes with that particular subject matter ... but I don't know for sure, and I won't be attending to find out :)

If you feel the assemblage of words "decolonization of the body" is a real thing simply because somebody applied a fabricated definition to it ...  fill your boots settler!

You do realize your whole argument basically boils down to "people shouldn't be interested in things that I'm not interested in", right?

/Classical ballet, modern dance, musical theatre, opera and pop music were all new experimental forms at one time or another. If something is good it sticks, if not it passes away. 

//You must love fringe fest.

#24 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

In fact I hate the Fringe Festival (good guess!), as it has proven year in and year out to be (IMO) laden with lacklustre, and low quality theatre perpetrated by questionable actors with equally questionable acting skills.

I prefer to pay for undisputed excellence in dance, music, and theatre. I have no time for useless pseudo-artistic wanking perpetrated by self-righteous or self-declared actors, writers, dancers, singers, or directors.

But I'll stick by my earlier comment, that 90%+ of the folks that likely read V.V. likely wouldn't enjoy "Rage Flowers" simply because it's not meant to be enjoyed (which was my point).

It's meant to influence your political beliefs ... so if you're interested in having your political beliefs challenged, go see it. If however, you're interested in being entertained ... probably not.

Personally, I have no desire to have my body, or watch anybody else's body being "decolonized", nor do I want to be compelled to pay money in order to be assaulted with accusations that I'm a guilty white settler for living and working in Victoria for the last 60 years.

However, I did go and see "Chicago" a couple of weeks ago at the Royal Theatre, and it was bloody excellent on every level!

I also have seasons tickets to the Symphony, POV, and Dance Victoria. I see tons of over the top excellent live performances year in and year out ... but I'll be missing "Rage Flowers".

• Nparker and LJ like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users