Photo

Municipal/regional water supply discussion

• Please log in to reply
1128 replies to this topic

#301 LJ

LJ
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

Government has no motivation to be efficient. We dump who knows how much water every winter that could be bottled and sold or sold in large quantities to farms or other heavy water users. Then we charge consumers more for water as a result of conservation efforts.

Trust the government to control a resource, limit access to it when it suits them, and charge consumers more for it every year. And it's this same group that are now embarking on a who knows how expensive sewage treatment plant that will be making some people very, very rich, some government jobs very, very plush, and all tax payers just that little bit more financially stretched.

Yeah but here is the good news...

The higher water use has a financial silver lining. By the end of the year, $820,000 in additional revenue is expected, about three per cent over budget, Robbins said. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...b.P6YTDlQz.dpuf

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#302 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:36 AM

Boy, those are two terrible examples.  We ration medical care.  if my dog needs a new hip today, he gets one.  Grandma?  She waits 18 months, even if she is willing to pay $10 million for it.

My grandmother got a new hip the next day after she fell and broke it.

So if your grandmother needs a new hip, cut to the chase and get her to take up sky diving,

#303 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

So we have a good/right system here, that allows my dog to get surgery 500 days sooner than Grandma?

Our medical system is the absolute worst in the western world.  WHO puts us at #30.

That stat shows that the medical system you think is so amazing (the US) where you can pay your $10 million to have the surgery tomorrow is ranked 37th, and costs way more per person than ours does.

Edited by pherthyl, 19 June 2015 - 06:48 AM.

• http likes this

#304 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:54 AM

That stat shows that the medical system you think is so amazing (the US) where you can pay your $10 million to have the surgery tomorrow is ranked 37th, and costs way more per person than ours does.

The vast majority of Canadians can actually afford to pay out of pocket for medical care, but it's illegal. That's just a stupid system.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#305 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

Can you imagine if Terasen told us every winter that we're at some specific gas reserve capacity and must restict our use? Or if the gas station rationed gas every Tuesday to control supply? 

As it turns out, gas is also 1000 times more expensive than water.  So it makes sense to ship it all over the place and build pipelines.  

Unless you want to pay way more for water, that isn't feasible.  

#306 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,949 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

I can buy water from France at the grocery store and the water at my home arrives via massive network of pipes and waterworks. I'm not sure what that has to do with having to ration the stuff every single year due to mismanagement.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#307 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

I can buy water from France at the grocery store and the water at my home arrives via massive network of pipes and waterworks. I'm not sure what that has to do with having to ration the stuff every single year due to mismanagement.

And how much does the water from france cost????  Does it cost 1 hundredth of one cent like the water our of your tap does?

Sure you can avoid some rationing by building a massive storage facility and more reservoirs here.  You ponying up the money for that?  

Edited by pherthyl, 19 June 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#308 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

Sure you can avoid some rationing by building a massive storage facility and more reservoirs here.  You ponying up the money for that?  

From 1850 until 1990 we had no issue with increasing capacity, and paying for it.  Not sure why now we can't.

We dump millions of gallons of fresh water every winter.  That's insane.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#309 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

From 1850 until 1990 we had no issue with increasing capacity, and paying for it. Not sure why now we can't.

We dump millions of gallons of fresh water every winter. That's insane.

Is it? Or is it insane to pay to store that water and then dump those millions of gallons onto lawns instead?

I'm sure there is a study somewhere about whether the reservoir should be expanded or whether it can be managed other ways in the short term. Maybe someone can dig it up?

#310 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

Is it? Or is it insane to pay to store that water and then dump those millions of gallons onto lawns instead?

If that's what people choose to do, then no, it's not insane.  I choose to not have any pets.  Some choose to have 6, and pay $5,000 a year in pet food.  That's great that they have the choice.   I want to have the choice of using or not using any amount of water I want, like any other commodity in my life (including food and oxygen).  Only the government can screw this up so bad.

#311 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

If that's what people choose to do, then no, it's not insane. I choose to not have any pets. Some choose to have 6, and pay $5,000 a year in pet food. That's great that they have the choice. I want to have the choice of using or not using any amount of water I want, like any other commodity in my life (including food and oxygen). Only the government can screw this up so bad.

What's stopping you from buying water and dumping it on your lawn? Feel free to do so just like others pay for pet food.

#312 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

What's stopping you from buying water and dumping it on your lawn? Feel free to do so just like others pay for pet food.

It's illegal for me to use water on my lawn every second day.  Even if I wanted to pay $5,000 for it.  It's like we live in a communist state.

#313 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

The CRD could build a water bottling facility at the Sooke Lake reservoir and during the winter months that the water is spilling over the dam, you bottle the water. People are prepared to spend more money for a litre of water than they do for a litre of gas at the pumps.

#314 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:04 AM

The CRD could build a water bottling facility at the Sooke Lake reservoir and during the winter months that the water is spilling over the dam, you bottle the water. People are prepared to spend more money for a litre of water than they do for a litre of gas at the pumps.

We do not really need to build the plant at the lake.   It can be anywhere in the system.  And instead of bottles, we can just build another storage reservoir.

#315 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

It's illegal for me to use water on my lawn every second day. Even if I wanted to pay $5,000 for it. It's like we live in a communist state.

You are free to privately acquire water and water your lawn.
But as a limited natural resource it makes sense for the city to introduce conservation measures for the water it provides. Adequate storage or not, it isn't great for the rest of the environment to divert all fresh water to our lawns

Edited by pherthyl, 19 June 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#316 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,524 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

It's illegal for me to use water on my lawn every second day.  Even if I wanted to pay $5,000 for it.  It's like we live in a communist state.

Meanwhile it's illegal to collect rainwater in many US states.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#317 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

We do not really need to build the plant at the lake.   It can be anywhere in the system.  And instead of bottles, we can just build another storage reservoir.

We already have the old Summit Park Reservoir that could be reinforced, covered over and brought up to snuff.

summit5.jpg

#318 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

But as a limited natural resource it makes sense for the city to introduce conservation measures for the water it provides. Adequate storage or not, it isn't great for the rest of the environment to divert all fresh water to our lawns

Can you name a natural resource that is in fact more unlimited than water?

Wood, gasoline, food etc. are all far more limited than water.  So the one thing the government gets involved with, it screws up.

#319 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

Can you name a natural resource that is in fact more unlimited than water?

Wood, gasoline, food etc. are all far more limited than water. So the one thing the government gets involved with, it screws up.

I'm sure California will be fascinated to hear about your discovery that water is unlimited.
  • http and tedward like this

#320 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

I'm sure California will be fascinated to hear about your discovery that water is unlimited.

California spends 80% of their water on irrigation for desert lands, that without artificial irrigation would never bear crops.  That's bad management, just like we have here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)