Photo

Movies!

• Please log in to reply
751 replies to this topic

#1 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

I didn't look to hard, but it doesn't look like we have a good section dedicated to movie reviews and suggestions! Maybe we can continue on after my post and make something of it. I'm sure there are a lot of indy film viewers on here who would have some great suggestions and critics. Mainstream movies too, I suppose!

I have a little bit of time off these days, taking it nice and easy for a couple weeks before I start up on the next job (yes I am finally done down at Parkside, although I will post updates when occupancy is achieved etc!)

I was at the movie story, trying in vain to find something that would catch my eye, everything you see in there these days is so mindless and doesn't require much of a brain to appreciate, until one that, has for months been popping at me, finally popped enough and I rented it. One Week

Long and short of it, a young man, a teacher in fact is diagnosed with cancer at a stage 4, he's given at best a couple years, but at worst a week in essence. He's engaged, a teacher etc, but in a chance meeting he buys an old Norton Commander and winds up traveling across the country, touching lives and having his own touched. I found it deeply moving and very thoughtfully done. Joshua Jackson is the main character and he pulled the part off very well. It leaves a lot to think about at the end of the day, and in some ways can put our trivial matters into perspective. There were a few little parts that weren't in keeping in terms of scenery, but I'll let you be the judge of that. All in All I highly recommend it, and when I get the chance to buy it, I'll be adding it to my collection.!

Please if there are any good movies you've watched recently, give a little review for us all to enjoy and more great suggestions for quiet movie nights!

#2 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

What's your next job?

#3 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

I loved One Week - great film! Another one that came through at the film festival was Dean Spanley. Delight-full.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#4 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

You guys should all check out District 9.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,508 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

The new James Cameron flick Avatar looks tremendous; here is a link to the trailer: http://www.apple.com.../fox/avatar/hd/

Although greatly hyped I thought District 9 was only "alright"; I like the premise for the movie but for pete's sake...yes, yes, the apartheid theme, we get it, we get it. Now move on.

Personally I wasn't overly thrilled with the mock/documentary approach. I think it would have been a truly superior outing if they'd filmed it as a straight ahead traditional production. But that's strictly "IMO". Still if you like thought-provoking sci-fi above and beyond the 'guy in the rubber alien suit' genre I'd recommend it on that basis alone.

#6 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

You guys should all check out District 9.

2 thimbs up, great movie, excellent storyline and loved the partial documentary effect.

A similar shooting style was used in the Hurt Locker which I also really enjoyed.

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

^I agree, District 9 was a helluva flick. The special effects were particularly good and considering it's $30 million budget, they were amazing. Most comedies these days cost more than that.
In chains by Keynes

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

^I agree, District 9 was a helluva flick. The special effects were particularly good and considering it's $30 million budget, they were amazing. Most comedies these days cost more than that.

The one thing that was wack was that it nearly was a comedy, the guy was like John Cleese as they first went to clear the critters out. To do that on $30M was pretty good though.

Anyway, I might go see Hurt Locker, its running 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

OK, saw Hurt Locker, ya, it's pretty good.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

Just saw Inglourious Basterds, pretty darned good.

#11 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:59 AM

Everyone should see An Education. Great acting and hilarious withot trying too hard.

#12 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

I went to see Avatar last night and loved it. The CGI artwork was amazing and it was my first 3d movie. Apart from that it was a conventional action/sci-fi film with a formulaic plot, pretty awful dialogue, and clumsy political/environmental moralizing. Still, it's definitely worth watching if you're willing to leave your brain at the door.

I usually go to see late showings of less popular movies so I found the constant coughing, rustling, and talking of my fellow audience members annoying. Luckily there were lots of loud noises coming from the movie.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,508 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

We had a Boys Night movie last night: two thumbs up for Invictus - excellent flick!

Morgan Freeman does a tremendous portrayal of Mandela. I was curious how an American actor - Matt Damon, as the captain of the Springboks SA national rugby team - would cope pulling off a believable South African accent. Very well done. Highly recommend this movie.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

Everyone should see An Education. Great acting and hilarious withot trying too hard.

Yup, I love the time/place setting too.

Avatar, two thumbs way up. I'm declaring it to be the best movie I have ever seen.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

I'm declaring it to be the best movie I have ever seen.

Better than Debbie Does Dallas Road? Better than Butts Hard Gardens? Better than W's Video Peepshow?

I'm impressed.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

Avatar, two thumbs way up. I'm declaring it to be the best movie I have ever seen.

It will also have to be the highest grossing movie of all time if they hope to turn a profit.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

I finally saw Avatar.

The story is similar to Dances with Wolves but I found it to be quite simplistic and predictable. If it wasn't for the amazing graphics this would be a fairly mediocre action/adventure film.

Kudos to the graphics team, though. They certainly deserve recognition for their amazing work.

As for earnings, this movie has already surpassed it's production costs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

My gut feeling is that computer animated characters are something of a fad and people will eventually reject them in favour of real actors.

#19 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

Better than Debbie Does Dallas Road?

I think I was in that movie. Are you sure her name was Debbie?

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Just please nobody mention Gumgum Does Tillicum. I was young and impressionable back then.
I was promised my name in lights.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users