Photo

YYJ Twestival - September 11th!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

Everyone engaging with the local online Twitter community will likely know about the upcoming YYJ Twestival - for those who don't, here is the information... with a recommendation from myself to get involved. This event is proving the local online community is getting active through all sorts of platforms.

Press release from Janis La Couvee - one of the Victoria Twestival organizers

Twestival Victoria set to Tweet. Meet. Give.

Victoria’s Social Media Community unites with Global Twitter-Based Charity Event to raise Funds for Power To Be

Friday, September 11th, 2009, at 7:00 pm, join the Victoria Twitter community (#YYJ) for a fabulous evening of food, drink, music and conversation with performances by local talent plus a silent auction and raffle. Connect with the movers and shakers in the local social media community at the Ambrosia Centre to raise funds for Power To Be Adventure Therapy Society, with all proceeds going directly to provide outdoor recreation programs to disadvantaged children, young and their families. Twestival Victoria is proudly sponsored by (but not limited to) Scott Garman and Associates and Liquor Plus.

What’s Twestival Victoria?
Twestival Victoria began when Janis La Couvée met the celebrated Vancouver blogger Miss 604 Rebecca Bollwitt. An active member of the local Victoria Twitter community through #VictoriaTweetup and Social Media Club Victoria, Janis, with a long history of grassroots community involvement, was immediately attracted to this new way of connecting those in need with those who can help. “Can you imagine an organizing committee of ten members putting together an event to fundraise with sponsors, donors, volunteers, entertainment and venue – ALL in 6 weeks? Twestival Victoria, #yyjtwestival, will be the social media event of the year, incorporating traditional fundraising methods and the power of social media to accelerate the connecting of people and the cause.”
Committee members include Scott Garman, Jason Finnerty, Scott McDonald, Chris Burdge, Catherine Novak, Melanie Wood, Christina Greenway, Cathy O’Connor, José Albis and Janis La Couvée

About Power To Be www.powertobe.ca
Power To Be provides outdoor recreation programs that enrich the health education and quality of life for disadvantaged children, young adults, their families and the communities to which they belong. Our objective is to inspire everyone to reach their full potential, and eventually, a promising future.

What is a Twestival?
Following the success of the first global Twestival on February 12th 2009, in which 202 cities participated, Twestival returns in September with a local twist on “Twestival" – the volunteer-run, charity fundraising events for people who know each other through the micro-blogging service twitter.com. Twestival Local again gives every city in the world the chance to hold their own Twestival, but this time they can run their events anytime between the 10-13th September 2009, and choose their own local charity.
Global partners across all countries for Twestival are Amiando, Citrix Online, Blurb and Causecast. For the for the full and changing list of cities, or to get involved yourself, go to www.twestival.com.

Interested? Tickets are now available online (limited numbers)
Sponsors: Links : Media - contact Janis La Couvee 250 881 4125
email - yyjtwestival@gmail.com or on Twitter @yyjtwestival

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

Great cause Mat, and it sounds like a fantastic event! I'm looking forward to attending, despite being very new to the whole Twitter phenomena.

Actually it was after watching the sparks fly off Janis as she explained twitter as a fundraising tool to a couple of people last week that I was inspired to really jump in. I remember having that same electricity about me when I first was trying to communicate the joys of social networking to my Luddite friends almost 8 years ago, and again when I first discovered Vibrant Victoria!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Why is this called the YYJ Twestival if it isn't being held at the airport..:confused:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

On Twitter you only have 140 characters to send a message - so shortening a location to an airport designation like #yyj or #yvr, gets that message up into twitter search terms, without having to type out Victoria BC (which takes up text space)

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

Social networking makes no sense :(

See you all at the airport! :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Why is this called the YYJ Twestival if it isn't being held at the airport.

...'Cause it's actually being held at the VOR on top of Mt. Maxwell...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users