• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

For those that enjoy youtube videos, there is a person with the user name CasPioneer that show architecture wonders around the world, usually in the forms of city complications. The videos are a mixed of built, in construction and proposed. Here is a link to some of his/her videos.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JreLkYhCWiY
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Dockside Green is in the second video.

There are many more, so check them out.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

Alternatively, Virtualtourist.com presents the ten ugliest buildings:

1. Morris A. Mechanic Theater, Baltimore, Md.
2. Zizkov Television Tower, Prague.
3. “The Beehive”, Wellington, New Zealand.
4. Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris.
5. Federation Square, Melbourne, Australia.
6. Petrobras Headquarters, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
7. Markel Building, Richmond, Va.
8. Michael Lee-Chin Crystal, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto.
9. National Library, Pristina, Kosovo.
10. Ryugyong Hotel, Pyongyang, North Korea.

Full story with video.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

Zizkov tower? Someone doesn't like creepy alien babies crawling all over a curvy futuristic TV tower? bah, what pedestrian opinions! In fact most of these buildings are just a bit strange or unconventional and many of them I find quite interesting. I'd gladly trade most of them for some of victoria's far more ugly and uninspired buildings.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

I have always loved the Ryugyong Hotel. I can't wait until its completed.

I'd trade any building on that list for view towers.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

Well that's about the only one on the list I wouldn't have in victoria since it's impossible to finish due to horrible quality construction and crumbling improperly mixed concrete. It's not even worth salvaging because it's so bloody dangerous.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

4. Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris.

Love this building. It's very impressive in person. Home to an amazing modern art museum too. Very suitable.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

^If a museum can be considered a culture factory then the Pompidou is very appropriate. Yet it looks terrible when dirty. It doesn't weather as well as Paris' other buildings.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

I wish Victoria could have something that would make this list: http://www.cnn.com/2...ings/index.html

#9 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

isn't the atrium good enough? or that new one across from city hall?

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

"Victoria. Where everything good enough, is good enough."

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

getting posted on archdaily isn't good enough?
  • gumgum and KAS like this

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

No it is. I love the interior of the Atrium.
  • Nparker likes this

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

guess what building this is. I can hardly imagine how off the wall it must have been when it was built 20 years ago:

n58lx5q.jpg

2819962132_415572cf14_b.jpg

1st peoples' house @ uvic

First-Peoples-House-11.jpg

First-Peoples-House-1.jpg

Edited by amor de cosmos, 18 April 2015 - 08:20 PM.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

First People's House is very nice - not actually in Victoria though. I'd love to see something like this (on a larger scale) replace the 1960s atrocities at Centennial Square.

The first picture? Some sort of school? There's something about the cladding that detracts from the design, IMHO.

Edited by Nparker, 19 April 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

guess what building this is. I can hardly imagine how off the wall it must have been when it was built 20 years ago:

No more of the wall them when Columbus Ohio built this as it's Convention Centre 20 yeara ago. The facade to the front consist of no right angles.

Attached Images

• 2015-04-19 12.44.37.jpg

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 April 2015 - 11:45 AM.

• sdwright.vic likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

No more of the wall them when Columbus Ohio built this as it's Convention Centre 20 yeara ago. The facade to the front consist of no right angles.

that's not really what I was getting at. with this school they didn't have the budget to excavate so they had to really make the building fit with what was already there, so they organized the classrooms into groups of 4 with open areas in between, making use of the rock outcrops, & the size of which increased with the grades (small in the preschool end etc):
nlz82k7.jpg

you could see that they left a lot of the structure exposed in the hallways but drywalled the classrooms so that there would maybe be less distraction & so the students would have space to put their artwork or whatever, but then opened up again to provide views of the rest of the community which is the school
notnnpn.jpg

n4qhfw4.jpg

& the roof is an extension of those outcrops from this angle. with those rocks & garry oaks you know it's victoria:
nw28u97.jpg

http://www.architect...m/projects/1818

it's basically an exercise in using the surroundings to advantage

Edited by amor de cosmos, 19 April 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#17 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

that one won a governor-general's award, the other ones in the victoria area are rogers elementary, two houses in rockland, and the pacific forestry centre, which makes five altogether.

#18 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Standing on the outskirts of Victoria, British Columbia, the timber-clad Strawberry Vale Elementary School is emblematic of Patkau Architects’ philosophy. Completed in 1995, the school's situation next to a prominent geological rift, coupled with its loving attention to surrounding indigenous flora, allows the architecture to guide the occupant's focus toward a local natural history that long precedes the Patkaus’ intervention. Broad windows open into outdoor seams within the building, visually and spatially connecting the innermost areas directly to the outdoors. In cultivating this geospatial awareness, the school reflects the architects' concern for the unique characteristics of the land and people affected by the building. This also allows the building to play an active pedagogical role in the school, encouraging the students' engagement with nature and the environment.

http://www.archdaily...tkau-architects

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

You don't say.

#20 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:58 PM

Couldn't be bothered creating a new topic for this so dropped it here.....

Interesting article in the Guardian regarding super tall construction, detailing some attitudes and opinions thereof from several sources including one heavily involved in building super-tall since the 1960's, and what he has to say isn't at all what you'd expect from someone in his position. Not to mention it details some of the "interesting" problems for owner-tenants as a consequence of living "in the sky":

https://www.theguard...bau7EFRbs-I3wKY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users