• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

^^^ What an arrogant prick 2.

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Imagine what we'd find if every, and I mean every public official's expense account was thoroughly audited.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

^^^^^ What an arrogant prick 3. Plus he does not know how to use Vuze. HMV?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Imagine what we'd find if every, and I mean every public official's expense account was thoroughly audited.

Why do you think that our MLA's (and others) have been fighting tooth and nail to avoid having to disclose their expenses?

#86 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Unfortunately we would be very disappointed with the waste we found.:mad:

We would probably also be disappointed with the amount it would cost to find that waste.

Which of course would help to prevent it happening again!

#87 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Why do you think that our MLA's (and others) have been fighting tooth and nail to avoid having to disclose their expenses?

As a government employee, my salary is disclosed every year in the public accounts. As is the total amount that has been paid to me for other work related expenses (travel and accommodation mostly for me).

Quite frankly that is the minimum that should be disclosed and I would be fine seeing how much my expenses were in each category...after all I am a taxpayer as well as an employee :)

#88 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

But Councillor Gerrard admits going over the bills and not seeing anything extraordinary. I mean, it's pretty easy for someone to hide purchases under misc. expenses but if there's a Visa statement right there, don't the names of the stores raise a red flag that's impossible to miss? HMV, iTunes, body lotion, expensive feasts and booze at fine restaurants?

I'm not processing how this is possible.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#89 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Holmes was my boss for a few years when I was a high schooler working part time at the Thunder Bay Public Library. As I recall he was not particularly highly thought of there either. Never got the inside scoop on why he left TB and came to Victoria though.

#90 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

These are important, highly paid positions and their salaries come out of our pockets. Don't the people doing the hiring do their due diligence and research? Are they making hiring decisions based on gut instinct alone? Shameful behaviour all around and the bulk of my scorn is to those who unknowingly aided Holmes in his deceit by not asking necessary questions.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

The people who do the hiring, like virtually all public servants, are ultimately not responsible for their actions no matter how financially damaging they may be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

But Councillor Gerrard admits going over the bills and not seeing anything extraordinary. I mean, it's pretty easy for someone to hide purchases under misc. expenses but if there's a Visa statement right there, don't the names of the stores raise a red flag that's impossible to miss? HMV, iTunes, body lotion, expensive feasts and booze at fine restaurants?

I'm not processing how this is possible.

Unfortunately many public officials don't seem to take their oversight responsibilities that seriously. It certainly doesn't appear as though Gerrard made much of an effort. A director of a private company who is negligent in his/her duties can be sued by shareholders. That tends to force them to take their jobs a little more seriously.

#93 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

I see the TC has removed the comment section to the article.

#94 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Unfortunately many public officials don't seem to take their oversight responsibilities that seriously. It certainly doesn't appear as though Gerrard made much of an effort. A director of a private company who is negligent in his/her duties can be sued by shareholders. That tends to force them to take their jobs a little more seriously.

A public servant that is negligent can also be dismissed. I don't get yours or anyone else's point really. I have to review expense statements as part of my job and if I let anything one one hundredth less serious get through I would be in serious ****. If I had approved any of the things listed here I would have lost my job.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#95 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

A public servant that is negligent can also be dismissed. I don't get yours or anyone else's point really. I have to review expense statements as part of my job and if I let anything one one hundredth less serious get through I would be in serious ****. If I had approved any of the things listed here I would have lost my job.

I was wondering this myself. As a board member...are you not held accountable and legally liable?

#96 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I was wondering this myself. As a board member...are you not held accountable and legally liable?

Sure you can but who is going to hold you liable? Individual taxpayers don't have standing to sue like individual shareholders do in a corporation.

#97 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

So you get your pockets filled with cash in the form of severance and bonuses and then get a glowing recommendation for your next job. Sounds like a tough pill to swallow for getting fired!

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

^ Wow you really have no clue at all. Do you think you get severance when your fired from the public service for cause? I would be out on the street with nothing.

What the f is a bonus? I have never had one of those.

I am really sick of the public servant bashing but I will put up with it when you get your facts straight.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#99 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

^ Wow you really have no clue at all. Do you think you get severance when your fired from the public service for cause? I would be out on the street with nothing.

What the f is a bonus? I have never had one of those.

I am really sick of the public servant bashing but I will put up with it when you get your facts straight.

I am not bashing public service employees. I am saying that the governance sucks.

#100 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

I find it incredible that no one questioned his credit card expenses while he was in office.

I'd like to know when the library board first learned of the problem with Holmes's spending. My impression right now is that this has only come to light because a TC reporter decided to look at Holmes's record while he was in Victoria, after the incident in Windsor became public. Is this really news to the board, too, or have they known since Holmes's departure and said and done absolutely nothing about it?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users