Photo

Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
672 replies to this topic

#321 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

This is true.  But calling it the "James Bay Branch" then defeats the purpose of the new name.

I don't really agree.  I'm sure the staff will actually say the name (e.g., if you call the branch) but wont expect the general public to be able to.  It's inclusive and doesn't harm anyone.  It will stir up all the a$$holes on facebook for sure though.

Reminds me of my trip to Ireland.  All the signs in both English and Gaelic.  Totally illegible to most and hardly anyone speaks it, but doesn't negatively impact anyone.

• tedward likes this

#322 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

From the City:

http://www.victoria....-james-bay.html

sxʷeŋ’xʷəŋ taŋ’exw James Bay Branch
Victoria City Council has selected sxʷeŋ’xʷəŋ taŋ’exw James Bay Branch as the name for the new Greater Victoria Public Library that will open in early spring. Pronounced s-hweng hw-ung tongue-oo-hw, sxʷeŋ’xʷəŋ taŋ’exw is the Lekwungen name for James Bay.

Listen to the library name pronunciation by Songhees Nation Elder Dr. Elmer Seniemten George.

There was strong support from the community during the Name That Library campaign to name the new branch a local First Nations name and to consult the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations on a suitable name. In consultation with the two local Nations, the name sxʷeŋ’xʷəŋ taŋ’exw James Bay Branch was selected.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#323 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

Only .034% will call it that*.

* PM VHF to find out how the survey works.

#324 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

I'd be very surprised if the majority even attempt the name. How often to people say "Saanich Centennial"? I always hear something along the lines of "The Pearkes Library" or "The Tillicum Library". 

#325 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

I’ve always called it Saanich centennial to be honest and it’s my home library.

#326 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

I may be an asshole, but I like this. I'm not much of a fan of the constant unceded territory bit and going on and on about reconciliation at every turn, but I do like this. 

I'd be happy to see more visible inclusion of First Nations culture throughout our society. Free (or very low cost) little tips of the cap are great. Other than the Cowichan sweater shop, a few totem poles, and a couple of ferries, we really don't see that much native culture around. Not even a First Nations restaurant (do those even exist?). 

Edited by jonny, 24 January 2018 - 01:47 PM.

• Mike K. and tedward like this

#327 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

Not even a First Nations restaurant (do those even exist?). 

There was an FN food truck on Belleville St the last few years, but I'm not sure if they're still around. Heard good things about their bannock, but never tried it. An actual restaurant would be pretty cool.

#328 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

I may be an asshole, but I like this. I'm not much of a fan of the constant unceded territory bit and going on and on about reconciliation at every turn, but I do like this.

I'd be happy to see more visible inclusion of First Nations culture throughout our society. Free (or very low cost) little tips of the cap are great. Other than the Cowichan sweater shop, a few totem poles, and a couple of ferries, we really don't see that much native culture around. Not even a First Nations restaurant (do those even exist?).

We had a food truck at the Coho terminal last year. Songhees Seafood and Steam.

The food was tasty, but it didn't seem all that traditional. Salmon Burgers, Bison burgers, "indian tacos" etc.

Edited by Mattjvd, 24 January 2018 - 01:53 PM.

• jonny likes this

#329 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

We had a food truck at the Coho terminal last year. Songhees Seafood and Steam.

Nice. I've always thought there was a business just waiting to be started on lower Government Street involving local First Nations food and culture. 

• Love the rock and Mattjvd like this

#330 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

https://www.cheknews...library-410863/

It's breathtaking how this council can screw up even the simplest of tasks.

Have we reconciled yet?!

Edited by spanky123, 24 January 2018 - 02:07 PM.

#331 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

If I live in a certain area I always say I'm going to the library. No other add-on is needed as they know I'm going to the closest branch.

However I don't read many books so the only time I'm in the library is to use their bathroom.

#332 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

last thing i'll post on this. here's a street sign in israel

ss2.jpg
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/il_/

I don't know where it is exactly or who ben yehuda is/was, but there's a very good chance the street is named after eliezer ben-yehuda, who was motivated by zionism to create modern hebrew. and in netanyahu's israel they put arabic on his street sign. i wonder sometimes what canada has done to deserve such a reputation for being a tolerant multicultural place.

https://www.straight...us-cuisine-food

#333 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

I pity anyone trying to address anything to that branch, lol.

#334 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

I pity anyone trying to address anything to that branch, lol.

If you look at the GVPL website, the new branch has both names. There will be a little sign with the Songhees name so that we all feel good about it but everyone, including the GVPL staff, will call it the James Bay library.

#335 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

I can't pronounce the name even after listening to it..........So I will just call it the James Bay Branch.  Much easier, and much nicer to say.

I think it was a very big mistake to go with that particular title do to the difficulty not only saying it, but pronouncing it.

But hey, only a very, very, very small fraction of people will ever call it by that title anyhow, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

#336 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

Passed by there today. Saw through the Menzies side windows some shelves having been stocked with books.

I realize the tribute that City Hall feels having paid in the name but feel something more recognizable would have been practical, such as Lekwungen Branch or Mungo Martin Branch.

• Star Dust likes this

#337 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

I find various Salish based word pronunciations incredibly interesting. I enjoy the large exhibit at the Provincial Museum that lets you press a button to hear assorted words spoken by elders using their regional and local dialects. 

Although there is an element of silliness to naming the library something that nobody but a few elders can pronounce, it does spread knowledge of First Nations and the history of First Nations in this area.

But there is a down side, in that that I believe some folks feel that this is actually "doing something" solid for First Nations, when in reality the issues that need addressing in a First Nations context are so much more serious, and so much more complex ... despite the feel good element I touched on above, if you're paying close attention to First Nation issues this comes across as little more than no-cost lip service.

• jonny and Daveyboy like this

#338 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Then fair enough, when they get the ambition to start a business and get their own financing they can do what ever they want to spread their culture without taxpayer funding

#339 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

Look, I’ll just say it. Most indigenous people do not engage in any special cultural events or practises. Like most former Brits don’t around here (engage in British themed events).

That’s OK.

I’m not sure we need to keep obscure languages alive.
  • tjv likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

And there are new languages appearing all the time. Like Macklemore's language. Eminem speaks it too.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users