Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3241 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

but we’ve got free land to work with which brings the cost down immensely.

can you clarify which land you are talking about?  correct me if I am wrong but is the save on arena land not leased to RG Properties?

#3242 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

RG only leases and runs the arena.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3243 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

It's kind of a cruddy part of Douglas Street anyway.  1-2 storey buildings here is a waste o space and potential.

And yet older buildings like this are really good for taxation (yes, this holds true in Victoria too - I've looked at Quadra Village as an example) https://www.strongto...-building-types

Parking garages are definitely not good for taxation

#3244 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

And yet older buildings like this are really good for taxation (yes, this holds true in Victoria too - I've looked at Quadra Village as an example) https://www.strongto...-building-types

Parking garages are definitely not good for taxation

So parking isn't good for business? Better let every retailer in North America know, they've got it all backwards
  • rjag, sebberry and Bingo like this

#3245 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

No shoppers downtown is also not good for taxation.

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3246 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

If a destination aquatic centre is going to be built at Central Park then the arena's back corner is the best spot for another elevated city parkade. Otherwise you're going to need a ton of surface parking on the pool grounds, which would look like *** and also be a huge smack in the face to the neighbourhood.

• VicHockeyFan and Midnightly like this

#3247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

RG only leases and runs the arena.

According to the agreement, they have the parking lot rights too.  It certainly does not mean a negotiation isn't possible or "complicated" as Helps said.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3248 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

If a destination aquatic centre is going to be built at Central Park then the arena's back corner is the best spot for another elevated city parkade. Otherwise you're going to need a ton of surface parking on the pool grounds, which would look like *** and also be a huge smack in the face to the neighbourhood.

fully agree with that, if a new aquatic center comes in there needs to be something significant about the parking at/around the pool, right now people already play musical cars at that pool and park in the surrounding residential 2hr parking areas..the parking will need to match the center for demand!

i think more then 1 person has brought up that the last city parkades were built around the 70's, that puts current parkades 40+ years old, we need to consider the age of the current parkades and what is their remaining life span before they need a sizable overhaul (which could cause a whole parkade to be shut down for weeks/months)

#3249 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Douglas Street North of the Hudson is still the vast, empty wasteland of near-derelict one and two story buildings that it's always been.

There's probably a dozen or more different opportunities for developments that include quite large parking facilities just in the three blocks to the North of the Hudson, one of which is VHF's proposal.

Places like the Smith Brothers Foundry lands have been sitting there, devoid of buildings and growing weeds for over 20 years now.

#3250 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

500 parking spaces at $20 dollars a day equals $3,650,000. Add some retail in on the first floor and your collecting gravy.

That's even considering 6 employees a day at 8 hour shifts your still doing pretty good in comparison to property taxes alone.

#3251 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

So parking isn't good for business? Better let every retailer in North America know, they've got it all backwards

If you're making a point as a cyclist, the cars and where they need to park can often be detrimental to furthering their cause for building more bike lanes.

#3252 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

No shoppers downtown is also not good for taxation.

This is not happening.

So basically you all are saying because the city made the poor decisions to build parkades in the 60's and 70's we should build more now? Businesses are not entitled to more city owned parkades because they say property taxes. That's an odd thought process, especially coming from a couple of Republicans.

The city should not be in the parkade business. The cost to build a new parkade would be astronomical.

This whole matter could be alleviated through some pretty simple management tactics on the part of city. Increase city owned parkade rates and encourage new developments to have a public parking component. Daily parking should be north of $25 per day.
  • tedward likes this

#3253 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

The City IS in the parking business though. And with artificially low rates as I’ve clearly shown.

#3254 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

^ ^ and I agree. We could have this solved by Christmas.

#3255 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

The city should not be in the parkade business. The cost to build a new parkade would be astronomical.

That is like saying the province should not be in the business of building dams. 

Thank goodness they built the parkades when they did.

• On the Level likes this

#3256 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

Raising parking fees in order to clear out folks who can’t afford any more than they’re currently paying is ridiculous.

Victoria needs more parking spaces, not wealthier drivers.

#3257 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

$100 more for Downtown secure parking is unlikely to bankrupt full time Downtown workers. But is will cause a few to consider alternatives. And this can be done much quicker than building a parkade.
  • thundergun likes this

#3258 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

^you seem to be forgetting all those retail and food service peeps that can't afford to live downtown because they need to afford their old beat up rust bucket to get to the job that pays for their cheaper apartment out of town. Who wants to wait on the public and then be stuck on a bus for 45 minutes or more?

#3259 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

If you're making a point as a cyclist, the cars and where they need to park can often be detrimental to furthering their cause for building more bike lanes.

I would be all for no on street parking except for handicap and loading zones in multiple spots within a block for SEVERAL more parkades in the their place.

#3260 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

Could you imagine an entire block redevelopment with purpose built above ground parking as it's core?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users