Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3741 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:39 AM

I wonder where the city gets the notion that kids want to hang around downtown Victoria.

Perhaps the kids would use the bus pass to avoid downtown and go to a movie at Silver City.

Then you would have even more folks with cars avoiding downtown because of the Sunday parking fees.

“If a parent needs to buy a bus pass for a kid it costs $45 per month, if we opted in every kid in Victoria it would cost $11 per month,” Helps said.

“We can’t force parents to pay $11 so we’re looking at a creative way for the city to fund transit passes.” 

With approximately 6,000 youth 18 and under in Victoria, the yearly total would hit around $800,000 per year. 

Helps said one way the City could finance these costs would be by instating parking fees on Sundays.

https://www.vicnews....transit-passes/

• rjag likes this

#3742 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

“We can’t force parents to pay $11 so we’re looking at a creative way for the city to fund transit passes.” 

But she can force a parent to pay for parking if they bring their kids downtown on a Sunday... :badpc:

• Nparker likes this

#3743 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,880 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

I have never felt so good about my electoral choices as I do about not voting for anyone on the current CoV council. My conscience is 100% clear.

• rjag and mbjj like this

#3744 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

It is interesting, though, how Helps' mayoral campaign this time around put such a major focus on children.

It's a stark contrast to the mayor's comments regarding a tent city at Topaz, where she said: "'Oh no, my child might see a homeless person. Oh no, my child might see someone with a mental illness.’ I think that’s good. I think that’s OK.’’

This 'free' bus pass program will also have an administrative component that will require oversight and supervision, unless that's offloaded onto the schools.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3745 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

But she can force a parent to pay for parking if they bring their kids downtown on a Sunday... :badpc:

Yes and I think the bus passes are intended for teenagers, not children who still want to hang out with their parents and need to be driven everywhere.

Those children can have a somewhat short attention span for being dragged around downtown.

• rjag likes this

#3746 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

Yes and I think the bus passes are intended for teenagers, not children who still want to hang out with their parents and need to be driven everywhere.

Those children can have a somewhat short attention span for being dragged around downtown.

Isnt this the slow creep of introducing the welfare state? 

#3747 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:03 AM

But hold on now.

If 6,000 kids can force a drop in bus pass costs to $11 from $45, why not expand the entire program to include all residents and drop the regional bus pass fees to $3 per person, per month, region-wide? That way we all have a bus pass and its paid for through property taxes, it covers BCT's $130 million annual budget and the folks that do rely on transit are not paying $85 or whatever per month ($45 for kids).

• Rob Randall, Ismo07, jasmineshinga and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3748 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:15 AM

But hold on now.

If 6,000 kids can force a drop in bus pass costs to $11 from $45, why not expand the entire program to include all residents and drop the regional bus pass fees to $3 per person, per month, region-wide? That way we all have a bus pass and its paid for through property taxes, it covers BCT's $130 million annual budget and the folks that do rely on transit are not paying $85 or whatever per month ($45 for kids).

And you just know as soon as this is introduced every interest group will come out "why don't we get a cheaper pass!"
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#3749 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,356 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

But hold on now.

Heck no. I'm not into paying $180 bucks a year for something we won't use.

#3750 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

Heck no. I'm not into paying $180 bucks a year for something we won't use.

You may not use it, but surely it benefits you.

If everyone that gets on the bus drove their car instead, you would be sitting in traffic for a lot longer...

• Brantastic likes this

#3751 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

But hold on now.

Make transit a public utility with no charge to get on a bus? Heck yeah!

• jasmineshinga and DustMagnet like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3752 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

You may not use it, but surely it benefits you.

If everyone that gets on the bus drove their car instead, you would be sitting in traffic for a lot longer...

Dont know if would make much difference, look at UVic and Camosun, they all have mandatory bus passes and the parking lots are full anyway. Theres simply not enough capacity to accommodate more riders except maybe on weekends. 

I think it would be a great idea but it shouldn't be driven from CoV but from SD61, 62 & 63 in partnership with the CRD and BC Transit and include access to rec centres. What she is proposing is minimal and will have little impact apart from being a feather in her cap... 

#3753 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:51 AM

And how is that funded? If folks in Sooke or Sidney cant get equal access to transit then is their share of the costs pro-rated? And what about non-residents?

Heres an idea, give everyone a bus pass, have it generate a user fee like on your water bill and you pay every quarter, the less you use the less you pay!  :muching_out:  

• lanforod likes this

#3754 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,880 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:58 AM

Make transit a public utility with no charge to get on a bus...

And have it administered through BC Hydro. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

#3755 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:26 AM

Dont know if would make much difference, look at UVic and Camosun, they all have mandatory bus passes and the parking lots are full anyway. Theres simply not enough capacity to accommodate more riders except maybe on weekends. 

Yeah, but I could not imagine the traffic chaos that would ensue if we didn't have free bus passes. Basically everyone I know at UVic (including myself) gets there by bus simply because it's free even though most of my friends have cars. The parking lots may be full but keep in mind UVic has over 20,000 students and around 5,000 staff. I'm pretty sure those full parking lots represent a small fraction of the UVic populace. Free bus passes for students seems to be working to me. 

• nerka likes this

#3756 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:27 AM

Public utilities are not free. (water, sewage, electricity)

#3757 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,880 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, but I could not imagine the traffic chaos that would ensue if we didn't have free bus passes....

When I went to UVic there were no free bus passes. 

#3758 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, but I could not imagine the traffic chaos that would ensue if we didn't have free bus passes. Basically everyone I know at UVic (including myself) gets there by bus simply because it's free even though most of my friends have cars. The parking lots may be full but keep in mind UVic has over 20,000 students and around 5,000 staff. I'm pretty sure those full parking lots represent a small fraction of the UVic populace. Free bus passes for students seems to be working to me.

Those passes aren’t free. You and every other student pay for them as part of a mandatory program.
  • Nparker likes this

#3759 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

I love this free and lose usage of the word "free" on here.

Unfortunately, free is not free- ever.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3760 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

When I went to UVic there were no free bus passes. 

It's not free, it's about $80 to $90 per semester. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users