Photo

Inter-city bus service & Victoria terminal

• Please log in to reply
483 replies to this topic

#441 phx

phx
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 02:59 PM

How many services have you and/or do you rely on that if the government decided to stop funding would you life would be far more difficult and expensive? I know it sounds all hippie dippie but I do want to live in a more compassionate world.

From Vancouver, there are 4 flights per week to Sandspit, then a short drive to Tlell.

If that isn’t good enough, what are you expecting for transportation options to a very remote community of 183 people?

#442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,850 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 02:59 PM

How many services have you and/or do you rely on that if the government decided to stop funding would you life would be far more difficult and expensive? I know it sounds all hippie dippie but I do want to live in a more compassionate world.

I think we live in such a compassionate world, here in Canada, on the west coast in particular, that we’ve lost touch with how challenging life in much of the world can be.

Complaining about not having a government subsidized bus to Port Hardy is a First World problem, indeed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#443 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:01 PM

Lucky you, I was also lucky enough to go to private school between grade 6 and 12 where I got the extra help I needed.

#444 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:04 PM

I always take too long to respond. that was in response to Vic watcher

#445 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,850 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:15 PM

See. Your parents paid extra to get you the extra help you needed.

That’s the beauty of the free market, that allows and encourages individual choice. Lots of progressive politicians don’t like you having that choice.
  • Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#446 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:21 PM

Complaining about not having a government subsidized bus to Port Hardy is a First World problem, indeed.

I could also use that same first world problem argument to retort the commonly held belief that we have a crime problem by comparing us to Pretoria(mostly chosen because it rhymes with Victoria) instead of other cities in the first world. Ie safe streets is such a first world problem.

#447 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:27 PM

That’s the beauty of the free market, that allows and encourages individual choice. Lots of progressive politicians don’t like you having that choice.

But at the same time I'm happy that our taxes are paying for public school because many parents couldn't afford to send their kids to school on their own. And our society would be far worse off without it

#448 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:42 PM

From Vancouver, there are 4 flights per week to Sandspit, then a short drive to Tlell.

If that isn’t good enough, what are you expecting for transportation options to a very remote community of 183 people?

Forgetting that the rules of the game didn't allow them to fly. Unless you are able to plan your flight about a month in advance you'll be paying about $500 one way, wich funnily enough could get you to Europe for the same amount.

#449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,850 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:45 PM

I could also use that same first world problem argument to retort the commonly held belief that we have a crime problem by comparing us to Pretoria(mostly chosen because it rhymes with Victoria) instead of other cities in the first world. Ie safe streets is such a first world problem.

It is a far worse problem there, for sure. But we do have a problem that impacts us more than it did in years prior.

I’ve been to SA. We are sliding in that direction, and it’s not good.

Know it all.

#450 phx

phx
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 04:17 PM

Forgetting that the rules of the game didn't allow them to fly. 

The government should be spending tax dollars to accommodate an arbitrary rule for a game?

#451 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:37 PM

That’s why nobody’s riding a bus to Gold River today, or to
Port Hardy. There’s no demand for that service, even when heavily subsidized just to keep the lights on (even government has limits).

Port Hardy has bus service 3x per week: BUS SERVICE – Waivin (waivinflagstaxi.com)

Nothing to Gold River, though. Did it ever have regular bus service?

#452 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,850 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 08:47 PM

That’s great to know, vort! It looks like a seasonal service, that just re-started.

There you go Gary, there’s the service. Tourism to the rescue, I guess.
  • Matt in Langford likes this

Know it all.

#453 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,296 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 05:07 AM

Wilson’s Transportation will bring its Tofino Bus back next month as a seasonal ­service, though the company hopes a deal can still be worked out with the province to ensure it’s re-established as a year-round option.

Wilson’s, which suspended the Victoria-Tofino coach service and the Vancouver Island ­Connector service between Nanaimo and Campbell River on Jan. 3 due to heavy financial losses, will have the services back up and running on May 4.

https://www.timescol...service-6893529

Sounds like Wilson’s wants an ongoing government subsidy.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2023 - 05:07 AM.

#454 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 08:22 PM

A private bus company on Vancouver Island will soon be providing a link between the province’s capital and the northern tip of the Island.

Starting on May 16, IslandLinkBus will be launching new routes to Port Hardy, Port Alice, Port McNeil, Woss and Sayward, which will connect to a stop in Campbell River.

Once those routes come online, IslandLink will offer travellers a bus that takes people from as far as Victoria to the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

https://www.cheknews...-route-1184496/

#455 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,913 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 09:47 PM

I took IslandLinkBus to Qualicum last week and I couldn't be happier with their service. I hope they continue to be successful with their expanded routes in the spring.

• Ismo07 likes this

#456 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,296 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 12:40 AM

Wilson’s Transportation will bring its Tofino Bus back next month as a seasonal ­service, though the company hopes a deal can still be worked out with the province to ensure it’s re-established as a year-round option.

Wilson’s, which suspended the Victoria-Tofino coach service and the Vancouver Island ­Connector service between Nanaimo and Campbell River on Jan. 3 due to heavy financial losses, will have the services back up and running on May 4.

https://www.timescol...service-6893529

Sounds like Wilson’s wants an ongoing government subsidy.

It appears Island Link already has this covered.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 January 2024 - 12:41 AM.

#457 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,296 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 09:59 AM

North Island residents will soon have a daily bus service linking their communities to the rest of the Island.

IslandLink has announced plans to add a daily connection between Campbell River and Port Hardy starting May 16, with stops in Port McNeill, Woss, Sayward junction and Port Alice junction.

The company already offers bus service between Victoria and Campbell River, so the new route will connect the Island from tip to tip, and will connect foot passengers travelling on northern B.C. Ferries routes from Port Hardy to the Central Coast, IslandLink said.

A one-way fare on the 230-kilometre route between Campbell River and Port Hardy will go for $74.99, while a ticket from Victoria to Port Hardy will cost $99.99.

Port Hardy Mayor Pat Corbett-Labatt said the new bus link is welcome news to residents in her community.

Corbett-Labatt said she’s already seeing residents celebrate on social media. “They’re very excited about it,” she said.

Port McNeill Mayor James Furney said residents will be delighted when the new service starts.

A lack of transportation options linking the community with the rest of the Island detracts from the livability of the town and makes it pretty much necessary to own a vehicle, even as the world is moving away from private ownership of “gas-guzzling vehicles,” he said.

https://www.timescol...-in-may-8065724

The daily bus service will be particularly useful to people from islands off northern Vancouver Island who arrive in Port McNeill by boat and don’t have a vehicle, so they’re forced to borrow a car, take taxis or hitchhike, he said.

?

even as the world is moving away from private ownership of “gas-guzzling vehicles,” he said.

to5o.jpg

The worldwide car fleet size has never been higher and it has doubled since 1990.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 January 2024 - 10:09 AM.

#458 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,913 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:07 AM

...A one-way fare on the 230-kilometre route between Campbell River and Port Hardy will go for $74.99, while a ticket from Victoria to Port Hardy will cost $99.99...

The Victoria-Port Hardy fare is an excellent deal.

#459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,296 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:13 AM

Obituary: Kello Wilson, one-time delivery man grew his fleet into Island's largest bus company

William (Kello) Wilson, founder of Wilson’s Transportation, started a general delivery company with one truck after moving to Victoria in 1962

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 January 2024 - 10:14 AM.

• Nparker, splashflash and Ismo07 like this

#460 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:40 AM

If you're taking the ferry from Prince Rupert, this bus could save you about $150 even with the $99 bus to Victoria (vehicle fare $366 passenger $115)
  • FogPub likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users