Photo

Victoria new job search website

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newostar

newostar
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

As many of you have probably noticed in my signature block, I have started a new Victoria BC job search site.

While I don't want to shamelessly promote this site, I do want to get your opinion on how I can make it more useful for Victorians.

I have fresh updated content that uploads sometimes twice a day, with top employers in Victoria. They are broken down by industry.

Also, when I do a job search, I love having a direct route to the "good paying jobs" from Uvic, government, City of Victoria, Camosun College, District of Saanich as well as the top technology companies in Victoria. For this reason, I put one click access to their career pages to see if jobs are available.

I use the site myself everyday to check for new jobs. I know there isn't much out there right now, but I would appreciate your feedback on my service.

Thanks. The link is in my signature box.
Looking for work in Victoria?
VictoriaBCJobs.ca - The only way to look for Victoria jobs.
Daily refreshed postings. Connect direct to career pages.

#2 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

This looks very cool - can you franchise it to other BC (and Canadian) cities? I guess I'm wondering if the Victoria market is big enough to sustain a site like this.

What do you think of www.goworkbc.com? (Also recently launched.)

Kudos to you for putting this together - it looks pretty good!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#3 newostar

newostar
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks a lot Ms!

I have one started for Vancouver and Nanaimo.

I saw the article for Go Work BC. I think the functionality is neat, but it actually does what Eluta.ca does, but not as well.

It's a good idea, but it's too general to BC. People want jobs that reflect the market they live in. BC is too vast. In this way, that website gives you results that aren't meaningful. Plus the pure value of the brand they have created (goworkbc.com) will be tough to sustain in the online world with all the competition. I have no idea how they got articles published in the Vancouver Sun and Times Colonist. Must have been a slow news day or the writer has a personal connection.

While my site isn't the fanciest thing ever, I hope it provides some value to folks in Victoria. (and some revenue to me based on the Google ads :)

Cheers.
Looking for work in Victoria?
VictoriaBCJobs.ca - The only way to look for Victoria jobs.
Daily refreshed postings. Connect direct to career pages.

#4 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I have no idea how they got articles published in the Vancouver Sun and Times Colonist.

You totally need to contact Darron Kloster at the T-C (iirc he was the journalist who wrote about goworkbc for the T-C). Kloster pens a regular column that appears Thursdays ( I think) and I'm sure he'd write you up if you give him a call. Business news is his beat.

Good luck with this - the UI looks pretty good!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

You totally need to contact Darron Kloster at the T-C (iirc he was the journalist who wrote about goworkbc for the T-C). Kloster pens a regular column that appears Thursdays ( I think) and I'm sure he'd write you up if you give him a call. Business news is his beat.

Good luck with this - the UI looks pretty good!

My experience with Kloster is that he likes shiny objects and is quickly distracted. He promised that in lieu of a retraction of erroneous facts, that he would do an expose about my business and how it helped revitalize the neighbourhood. It all sounded great. I tried following up with him three times, and nothing.

However, even before my negative experience, I found that Kloster was really clueless about the business scene and that anyone with an ear to the ground could outscoop him.

I hope that you have better luck.

#6 bumpy

bumpy
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

I checked out both of these websites.

It's tough finding jobs in Victoria these days. You got a good start newostar but actually GoWorkBC does the same thing, they added a location specific search.

GoWorkBC is a lot cleaner though - they don't have any advertising on it, but I'm sure they will in the future.

I'd suggest toning down the google ads, if people want to click on it they will, filling the whole thing with ads is not necessary.

Well just wanted to give you my 2cents... btw I didn't find a job in either of these websites hahaha. Tough market! Cheers.

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,636 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

As someone who has been on both sides of the coin - both looking for work (remember what it was like finding employment in Victoria in the "bad old days" in the 80's and early 90's, especially in my profession, IT?) - and as a senior manager who now does the hiring - I would strongly recommend those looking for work consider sending their CV to reputable recruiting/head hunting firms.

Admittedly they aren't for everyone - let's face it if you're a barista or you sweep floors for a living - nothing wrong with either occupation, mind you - however they frankly won't be interested in you.

However if you have a professional background, education and/or relevant certification(s), there is always demand for HR and Finance/Accounting staff particularly. IT too, depending on your skill set, and of course the timing, which I acknowledge isn't great in terms of the local market. Recruiters have access to the 'hidden job market', positions that are never publicly advertised. I have to look no further than my own current position as proof of that. I've used them myself several times over the years and have never failed to land career positions that almost always led to the next rung in the corporate ladder. Just something to consider for some job seekers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users