Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7149 replies to this topic

#3141 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

A car has driven into the Monterey Street side of the former Blethering Place. I couldn't tell if anyone on the sidewalk was injured, but I think that might have been the case, judging by what the various responders were doing.

guess the person was under the impression that it was a drive through

IMG_6507.JPG

#3142 mikevic80

mikevic80
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

Photo of car in Oaks Restaurant: Photo of car https://www.facebook...8631954950999:0

Regards
Mike Kelly
Victoria Buzz

#3143 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

http://youtu.be/VjBrSuPZtac

Play in HD

Edited by HB, 10 August 2015 - 12:46 PM.

• todd likes this

#3144 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:58 PM

:cop: Just now on CREST radio:

"Excessive speed violation, Foul Bay road, going to require a tow truck   :whyme: "

Edited by todd, 14 August 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#3145 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

"Cyclist struck, Wharf St."

#3146 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

"Cyclist struck, Wharf St."

Damn. Given how busy and narrow this strip is, the protected bike lane the city is proposing in their 4-year plan can't come soon enough.

• todd likes this

#3147 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

My camera is everywhere and I have a shot of this...

DSC02817 1200x.JPG

• todd likes this

#3148 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

Unpossible.  40k zone. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3149 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:21 PM

That doesn't mean an accident can't happen. That stretch is dooring central.

#3150 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

One of the best Steve Wallace articles I have seen.

Let me start by saying that many British Columbians (the type better known as “Backward Columbians”) simply can’t merge properly.

http://www.timescolo...ciple-1.2030468

• sebberry likes this

#3151 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

I used to sit and each lunch a lot at the Joint and I'd see a lot of very dangerous low-speed driving along there.  It feels like it should be a safe stretch but so many drivers are in tourist-mode that they aren't watching what they're doing.  A lot of near misses at the cross-walk, a lot of people darting from behind parked cars into the street, and a LOT of people opening doors without looking, causing bikes to have to swerve out of the way and then get honked at by traffic.  When I still see a majority of drivers unable to open their doors properly I really can't blame it when people on bikes "take the lane" even if there's room for them.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3152 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

Sitting outside at Bastion Square (Darcy's or The Local) and watching that crosswalk on Wharf is pretty entertaining. Removes any doubt that PEOPLE are the problem, as cars, bikes and pedestrians all behave in random manners apparently designed for the express purpose of ending in disaster. (Of course I think the cars are by far the worst, as they are the most dangerous, but I'll concede that may be my personal bias.)

#3153 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Sitting outside at Bastion Square (Darcy's or The Local) and watching that crosswalk on Wharf is pretty entertaining. Removes any doubt that PEOPLE are the problem, as cars, bikes and pedestrians all behave in random manners apparently designed for the express purpose of ending in disaster.   

:banana:   great post!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3154 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

We expend great effort to get cars to slow down, but how about some effort into ensuring the other 2/3rds of road users are also slowing down and paying attention?  Rushing around with headphones on, texting... recipe for disaster.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#3155 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

We expend great effort to get cars to slow down, but how about some effort into ensuring the other 2/3rds of road users are also slowing down and paying attention?  Rushing around with headphones on, texting... recipe for disaster.

Oh, won't somebody please think of the children!

• Nparker likes this

#3156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

What's worse is the reduction of one westbound lane on Wharf leading up to the bridge has created a total mess and gridlocked the street. Wharf is horrible, absolutely horrible for all users of the road and the City of Victoria doesn't seem to care.

If PCL had approached me and said "we need that lane for construction" any other city would have said tough luck. But the City of Victoria just seemed to jump on the opportunity to stick it to the drivers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3157 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

The entire pedestrian / cycling bridge had to be removed for construction, and despite this, until recently no lanes were affected for vehicles to accommodate these modes.  If I'm a pedestrian coming down Harbour road going to the Canoe club or anywhere else north of the JSB, I've had to cross the road twice just so cars can have a second lane.  To get to Canoe, before I had zero pedestrian crossings, and now I have 6!  Now vehicles have to go from 2 lanes to 1.  Big deal, compared to what other modes have had to deal with.

Sticking it to drivers is completely incorrect with how roadwork is dealt with in Victoria.  Whenever there's construction, it's everyone else that gets screwed.  Cones and signs go in bike lanes, pedestrians have to cross the road, all to maintain the precious roadway.

Edited by nagel, 17 August 2015 - 02:47 PM.

• http and Coreyburger like this

#3158 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

No lights, no helmets... x2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9STSRkVCXco 

#3159 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

This fool runs out of gas on the highway.

If you know you are low and you have a can of gas with you like this fill up before you go out

This is a really bad place to stop to fill your tank.

Idiots like this should be ticketed

http://youtu.be/am-2Bb3oWnY

#3160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, that's crazy stuff for sure.

The police should have been called and at least provided some protection by slowing traffic and alerting drivers to something up a head.

Unreal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users