Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7149 replies to this topic

#4921 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

That first sign ("begins") is to inform road users that the center lane acts as a left turn lane for traffic in both directions and to be aware of oncoming vehicles in that lane if you're using it. The second sign ("ends") is telling you that the shared center turn lane has ended.

It has nothing to do with the traffic islands, nor the designated left turn lane down at the intersection.

The issue is not with the two-way left turn lane signs. The issue is that at the end of the lane, the black and yellow obstruction sign is upside down. In HB's video, the black lines are angled to the left. That means "keep left of the obstruction". So the sign is telling motorists to go into oncoming traffic to go around the island. In the Google Maps image that I then posted, you can see the correct alignment of the obstruction sign, with the black lines angled to the right, meaning "keep right of the obstruction", and sending motorists back into the correct traffic lane.

• nagel likes this

#4922 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,357 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

^ yep, what shoe said. That sign is literally upside-down. Turn the black and white sign up side down doesn't change the arrows on it.

• nagel likes this

#4923 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

For an easier comparison.

HB's video from yesterday, obstruction sign is upside down.

HB.png

Google Street View of the same spot in May 2015, obstruction sign is aligned correctly.

end.png

#4924 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

That first sign ("begins") is to inform road users that the center lane acts as a left turn lane for traffic in both directions and to be aware of oncoming vehicles in that lane if you're using it. The second sign ("ends") is telling you that the shared center turn lane has ended.

It has nothing to do with the traffic islands, nor the designated left turn lane down at the intersection.

Yes, it simply marks the beginning and end to the "two-way left turn lane".  It's not telling oncoming traffic, heading towards the sign anything else.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4925 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

You are off sibject Not talking about the two left turn lane don't need a lesson on that . Talking about the 2nd sign directing people around the left side of the island

#4926 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

its upside down telling people to go around the island to the left it should be directing them to the right of it

http://youtu.be/bAy0plp-7A4

Edited by HB, 14 March 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#4927 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Don't look at the arrows, look at the yellow/black sign.

I don't think I've ever once actually thought about what the sign wants me to do. I just avoid the gnarly obstacle regardless of which way the lines are angled.

For the record the downward side is the safe side. Clearly that's not the case here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4928 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

The black lines point to where to go around it

#4929 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

The sign is not even upside down it just the wrong sign
  • shoeflack likes this

#4930 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

The upper part, with the black background and arrows, is the standard sign for "two-way left turn lane".  Period.  Then the part below with writing indicates if it "begins", or "ends".  Those arrows are not telling your car where to go.

Jeepers...

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4931 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

^^ Nothing to see here folks. It's official, we've got a troll on our hands!!

#4932 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Again, it's not the arrows, it's the yellow/black sign that is wrong. It's telling you to turn left to avoid hitting the obstacle.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4933 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Again, it's not the arrows, it's the yellow/black sign that is wrong. It's telling you to turn left to avoid hitting the obstacle.

The two signs are completely unrelated.  They just happen to share the same post.

• Bingo likes this

#4934 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

We're talking about the yellow and black sign exclusively, and you're right, it's unrelated to the arrows or the sign in the middle.
  • shoeflack likes this

Know it all.

#4935 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

We're talking about the yellow and black sign exclusively, and you're right, it's unrelated to the arrows or the sign in the middle.

Ya VHF, get with the program! No one is saying the two-way left turn lane signage is wrong.

#4936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

You're supposed to avoid the obstacle by going in the direction of the downward black lines, which are pointing to the left and into oncoming traffic.
  • nagel likes this

Know it all.

#4937 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Oh.  You mean those signs tell you which way to go?

That's news to me.   I did not know that!

3518172-pattern-yellow-and-black-is-sign

#4938 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

The fact that so many licensed drivers are clueless about basic road signs is confounding to me. 

• Matt R. likes this

#4939 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

The two signs are completely unrelated.  They just happen to share the same post.

There are two way turn lanes all over the place and some of them don't have any signage.

I once witnessed an accident where a cyclist and a car collided head on at night, when they both went into the two left turn at the same time.

The cyclist ended up on the hood of the car smashing the windshield. It was the 2300 block of Cook Street.

#4940 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,111 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hahahhaha

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users