• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

The provincial government introduced legislation Thursday that would force homeless people into shelters during extreme weather.

The controversial law could be in place by the winter, in time for the 2010 winter Olympics in February, which some critics have said is a strategic attempt to sweep the homeless problem under the rug while the world visits Vancouver during the Games.

The Assistance to Shelter Act would allow police officers to take people against their will to a homeless shelter during extreme weather, or cold conditions which could be considered life-threatening.

"When an extreme weather alert has been issued, we want people at risk off the streets and into safe accommodation," housing minister Rich Coleman said in a news release. "This legislation will help to prevent tragedies such as the one that occurred last winter when a woman died trying to keep warm in a makeshift shelter."

The woman caught fire while trying to warm herself with a candle in Vancouver.

Police will have determine if someone is at risk of harm because of the weather conditions before taking them to an emergency shelter. But once the person is at the shelter, they won't be forced to stay.

Coleman said he hopes once people see the warm bed and hot meal available to them at a shelter, they will decide to spend the night.

Victoria police Chief Jamie Graham supports the legislation, saying in a news release it will allow officers to carry out "socially-relevant policing". He said: "The terrible dilemma for police officers is when the weather is so extreme and vulnerable people are found who are at very substantial risk. When a mental illness or addiction takes over rational decision making, the only hope is for the police to have supportive legislation allowing them to take people to safety."

http://www.vancouver...9486/story.html

To "normal" people like us who live in heated houses, it seems absurd to think that people would elect to sleep on the streets during a winter storm.

While I realize that many of the homeless are not able to make sane and logical decisions for themselves, many of them can. Then we have the few who are homeless by choice.

Many of the homeless do not want to be in shelters.

I fail to see how picking up a person who has managed to build a makeshift shelter to stay warm enough and dumping them off at the front door of a shelter against their will will help them. In fact, if they choose to not use the shelter beds they are now more exposed to the elements than they were before the police dragged them away.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

"The terrible dilemma for police officers is when the weather is so extreme and vulnerable people are found who are at very substantial risk."

Do these people have any idea what the weather is like in the rest of the country? That woman didn't die because she was too cold, she died because she was too hot.
In chains by Keynes

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

Who gets to define extreme weather?

"It's way too sunny today the homeless have an increased risk of skin cancer this week, time to yank em all off the street! What?? It's got nothing to do with (insert important tourism related event) going on this week!"
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

That woman didn't die because she was too cold, she died because she was too hot.

:o:o:confused::mad::rolleyes::P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

Who gets to define extreme weather?

"It's way too sunny today the homeless have an increased risk of skin cancer this week, time to yank em all off the street!

If they do that they better amend the laws governing window tint :mad:

#6 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

What you never seem to hear about is the fact that the reason a lot of homeless refuse to stay in a shelter is because you get kicked out if you're found with any sort of drugs or alcohol.

#7 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

What you never seem to hear about is the fact that the reason a lot of homeless refuse to stay in a shelter is because you get kicked out if you're found with any sort of drugs or alcohol.

I hear that all the time.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

Or you get beat up and people steal your stuff.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

Or you get beat up and people steal your stuff.

I guess that could happen on the streets too.

Some cities have free lockers for homeless peole to store their stuff. Wouldn't that be a good idea to have somewhere? I hate when I see disgarded blankets etc., that someone likely doanted to the homeless, but they had to shed them to lighten their load or for another reason. I'm sure we could some place where the homeless could lock their stuff up.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

This statement will get some negative response, but I have always been upset when the police ignore someone pushing a shopping cart. The person pushing that shopping cart is in possession of stolen property. I know this statement sounds cruel, but is it fair?

#11 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

but they had to shed them to lighten their load or for another reason. I'm sure we could some place where the homeless could lock their stuff up.

Would you keep hauling a blanket around that got wet while you were sleeping outside if you knew you could get a brand new, clean one for free? Just dump it in a park and someone else will deal with it.

#12 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

Don't forget the dog owners.

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

Don't forget the dog owners.

???
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

A number of homeless have dogs, both for protection and companionship. and shelters do not allow animals (aside from "assistance" dogs).

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

... to make it mandatory for all dogs to be picked up and taken to a shelter in extreme weather.

The city could also provide refurbished shopping carts with new wheels and brakes, and an attached tarp to keep the contents dry. Carts could be licensed, but with no fee. Owners could be entitled to a monthly pass for themselves and their cart on the HandiDart in extreme weather. And so on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users