• 8,043 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

You were certainly spoiled by Ulla.

Matt.

#262 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Maybe that server is still waiting to get paid! :)

#263 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

Finally dragged myself over to that side of town for a family pre-Thanksgiving meal Saturday night; in no particular order the parking is a bit of a pain. I had to park in the Tru-Value parking lot down the street due to our reservation being a bit later at 7pm. Not a huge issue but I could see this being a hassle for older people or people with mobility problems.

The server was run off his feet and managed overall to do a decent job given how busy it was. I would give the food 4/5, with special mention to the crab cakes which were excellent if a bit pricey ($16 for two of them). I don't usually order steak in restaurants due to the fact I am invariably disappointed however they did a good job with my New York steak. The view naturally was great especially since we had a corner table by the window.

Unfortunately most of the positives were negated somewhat due to the sheer volume of the place, which I would describe as "Bin 4 on steroids". I've attended Canuck games with 19,000 people that were quieter. I had no problem conversing with my brother in law to my immediate left and with his brother to my right but beyond that for most of the night I had to learn to read lips to hear what was said at the other end of the table, all of 3-4 feet away. It would be nice if they could install some sort of pony wall-type noise dampeners, or even toss in some large planters to break up the room and at least make a pretense of diluting the noise. From a volume standpoint it was kind of like being in an Oktoberfest hall....

#264 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

We usually don't return to restaurants where you can't have a conversation with the person across the table due to the racket.

Those places are fine for those who just want to sit here and text away with the person across the table.

#265 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

We like it for lunch on a sunny day. The servers are good, pleasant without being smarmy and they get it done. Most seem to have been recruited from UVic. Food is average, burger-joint kinda fare, but the setting tops any other place offering a similar menu.
Its another of those places people often refer to by the original name. Mrs johnk always says, "Let's go to McMorran's".

Edited by johnk, 12 October 2015 - 02:08 PM.

#266 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

It isn't usually busy. Acoustics are lousy though, for sure.

#267 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:04 PM

Ok...years later after all the excitement drills down....a delightful spot for a Sunday Brunch.

Great Benny’s...great service...and a delightful gaze into the ocean.

E8D9EF2B-91A8-467F-B1A9-7F4D2410FD90.jpeg
  • Nparker and Teardrop like this

#268 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,051 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 05:23 AM

Beach House restaurant in Cordova Bay has closed and is on the market

A potential buyer for the property was lined up but the sale did not complete this month as anticipated.

It was listed for sale, along with associated parking lots across the street, early this year and a potential buyer was lined up.

However, the sale for all the properties did not complete this month as anticipated. The restaurant was closed as of Sunday.

Many local residents would like to see the site remain as a restaurant, Phoenix said. “But the costs have become quite onerous — as least to run it as I prefer.”

The events side of the business has become a “real specialty for us and we get about eight inquiries per day looking for our venue for private events and weddings.”

A small hotel built on the parking lots would be a “great fit,” Phoenix said, adding that would require a rezoning from Saanich.

“And of course Saanich says they need more housing, but, again, building condos or townhouses also requires rezoning. So it will be interesting to see what lies ahead for these five lots.”

Staff had 19 months notice, she said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2023 - 05:25 AM.

#269 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:44 AM

I agree about a small hotel, that'd be about a perfect location, IMO. Local residents would likely throw a fit though.

• Nparker likes this

#270 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 10:28 AM

Word on the street is that the 'artifacts' discovery nearby scuttled the land sale.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#271 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 11:18 AM

^ There was construction on a waterfront house near the Royal Victoria Yacht Club a while back that got tangled in substantial delays for the same reason.

I will always remember Bill Kokalink telling his crew on the Convention Centre that if they found anything at all during the excavation, to put it in their lunchbox, take it home and treasure it, and most importantly….keep your mouth shut.
  • Nparker likes this

#272 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 11:24 AM

The comments on the FB post are something else!

#273 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 11:28 AM

^ Link?

#274 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 11:29 AM

It’s the VV page on Facebook.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#275 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 11:30 AM

Ok Roger that

#276 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 11:36 AM

Ok got it. I see what you mean. Oh dear.

Should I just move back to Scotland where my ancestors came from?

Apparently I don’t belong here.
  • Matt R. likes this

#277 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 01:55 PM

Should I just move back to Scotland where my ancestors came from?

Ideally you would move back to wherever your ancestors came from before they went to Scotland.

• Matt R. likes this

#278 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 02:02 PM

Any reason why one of the chain restaurants couldn't go in there?

#279 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 02:11 PM

I vote for Sea Galley.
  • Matt R. and mbjj like this

#280 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 August 2023 - 02:12 PM

^ Not a chain, or at least, not anymore. 

I vote for the Boathouse.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users