• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Anybody know why it would need that kind of repair after just 17 years or so?

What is the sloped roof made of, glass? EDIT, OK, I see they are going to throw away the big glass skylight. What a waste of money, someone screwed up that design.

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=11414

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

This building has a history of design flaws. The following is an excerpt from a web page that I can not find again. (I hope this does not violate the posting rules)

"In March 1994, a lifeguard was killed at the Saanich Commonwealth Place in Saanich, BC. While working to repair a grate in the wave pool, she became trapped underwater by the suction from the ten inch intake pipe for the pool’s waterslide."

That poor girl met her demise because of a design flaw.

For a few dollars anyone go for a swim and see how poorly the change room designs are, especially the lighting engineering and the architectural spacing. Check out the family change room with the cubicles and corridors. Awful.

#3 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

$600k is cheap compared to the new roof on BC Place. :(

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

Don't most roofs come with a 20 year guarantee? I have 30 years on mine. (of course the contractor still has to answer his phone in the 29th year.)

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

A standing seam commercial roof that has been done properly in the first place should last over 35-40 years with little maintenance.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

I agree, time to review the plans, specifications, and addenda, or has Saanich lost them.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Anybody know why it would need that kind of repair after just 17 years or so?

What is the sloped roof made of, glass? EDIT, OK, I see they are going to throw away the big glass skylight. What a waste of money, someone screwed up that design.

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=11414

They're getting rid of the big skylight? I thought that really helped to make it a bright, inviting pool. Oh well, I haven't been swimming for 14 years or so.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

They're getting rid of the big skylight? I thought that really helped to make it a bright, inviting pool. Oh well, I haven't been swimming for 14 years or so.

Replacing it, not sure with what, maybe just another one.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

The province contributed 1.5 million in 2005 to replace the glass roof in the old Crystal Gardens. That roof had also been repaired in the mid 70's.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

The province contributed 1.5 million in 2005 to replace the glass roof in the old Crystal Gardens. That roof had also been repaired in the mid 70's.

That was a lot bigger and more intricate roof. It was also built originally in 1925 when glazing technology was not exactly high-tech. So if it got 50 years to a major repair, then another 20 years before it needed to be replaced, that's not so bad.

The Commonwealth Pool, were talking a 1992 or '93 building needing a new glass portion already.

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

What is actually wrong with the one at the pool?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

What is actually wrong with the one at the pool?

It leaks.

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

It leaks.

Wouldn't that save money filling the pool? :confused:

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

OK, this is worse than I thought.

TC:

The federal government will also contribute $666,445 toward the completion of roof repairs to Saanich Commonwealth Place. The municipality will pay two-thirds of the cost. Problems with the roof of the facility, which features a 50-metre pool, fitness centre and sports centre, include a leaking skylight.

So it's a $2M repair. That is ridiculous. Where are the lawsuits?

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Government gets a taste of their own leaky-condo medicine :P

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

Government gets a taste of their own leaky-condo medicine :P

But it's easy for them, they don't own any money, they get it from us.

#17 stdavid

stdavid
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:41 AM

This building has a history of design flaws. The following is an excerpt from a web page that I can not find again. (I hope this does not violate the posting rules)

"In March 1994, a lifeguard was killed at the Saanich Commonwealth Place in Saanich, BC. While working to repair a grate in the wave pool, she became trapped underwater by the suction from the ten inch intake pipe for the pool’s waterslide."

That poor girl met her demise because of a design flaw.

For a few dollars anyone go for a swim and see how poorly the change room designs are, especially the lighting engineering and the architectural spacing. Check out the family change room with the cubicles and corridors. Awful.

One of the biggest design flaws is the tile they used for the floors thru out the pool area. It is not designed for use in swimming pools, but it is an ordinary floor tile and thus is extremely slippery. Many people have fallen on it. To rip it all out and replace it would cost a fortune. How anyone could lay tile like that and not have someone inspect it and notice it is the not suited for a swimming pool simply boggles the mind.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

One of the biggest design flaws is the tile they used for the floors thru out the pool area. It is not designed for use in swimming pools, but it is an ordinary floor tile and thus is extremely slippery. Many people have fallen on it. To rip it all out and replace it would cost a fortune. How anyone could lay tile like that and not have someone inspect it and notice it is the not suited for a swimming pool simply boggles the mind.

I haven't been there since I was a kid but I seem to recall this.

What they need to do is simply coat it with a non-skid material. IMO, safety trumps appearance in this case and it could be done with a nice pattern/design anyway.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

The pool was closed last week for skylight repairs I noticed. It was cool to see the pool empty. The deep ends look really deep--Mrs. West, who has a fear of deep water was wigged out at the sight.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

I find empty swimming pools sort of creepy too.

Why do they have to drain the pool to fix the skylight?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users