Photo

Mt. Washington Alpine Resort

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#21 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

It is certainly a bad year, but they've also had some of the biggest snow packs ever, and consistently have one of the deepest snow packs in Canada.

#22 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

That's life I guess. I mean wasn't it last year or the year before they had a record season and were considered one of the top skiing destinations in North America?

Exactly, but not the sort of revenue ticker that makes an investor jump for joy...

#23 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

My Washington closed today due to lack of snow

It's only a matter if time now before they claim bankruptcy especially if no one buys it

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Do you think one bad season will do them in? I can see a lot of employees being affected but the resort itself can likely withstand a few bad seasons in a row. Surely, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

I think that they they are in huge debt but do t want to publicize that fact
Instead of using the bankruptcy word they offer the place for sale
They are a great employer and a great vancouver island destination
Millions have been spent on the place and they did not forecast a lack of snow
With no snow you don't have revenue coming in from guests , revenue to pay creditors

I predict a bankruptcy announcement

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Here's a great image of snow accumulation in our region. You can clearly see how little accumulation there is on the central Island compared to other areas. Yikes. Image courtesy of @50ShadesofVan

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Mt. Washington has enjoyed total snowfalls of over 300cm for the years 2007 thru 2012.

Their best snowfall was the Olympic year in 2010, when they recorded at total snowfall of 981cm, with a maximum base of 699cm.

So far this year they have a base of 72 cm

With an operation that relies on a commodity that is not guaranteed, you need to salt away (pun intended) some funds for the lean years.

I hope they are able to survive this setback.

http://www.onthesnow...ll.html?&y=2010

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Mt. Washington has a plan in place for season's pass holders. Good stuff!

Attention Season Passholders
January-29-2014

Season Passholders

To our Valued Seasons Pass Members:

Mother Nature doesn't always cooperate with our plans. If she won't promise 100 days of skiing - we will!

We are pleased to introduce the "100 Days of Winter" assurance for all Mount Washington season pass holders. For every day below 100 days that we are unable to open, Mount Washington Alpine Resort will provide our season pass holders a credit worth 1% towards the purchase of the equivalent pass next season.

Some years we get a lot of snow and some years not so much. It has been thin at times and epic at times (up to 12 meters in a season!). This season so far may not have been ideal for all pass holders but we were open. For those that have had a chance to use their season pass in the 15 days, we are pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy the warm temperatures and spring like conditions.

Mount Washington is unable to continue to operate with the current conditions and will be closed as of January 29. Regardless, this currently means a credit of 85% toward your equivalent pass next year.

We know there will be some questions that arise – so here are a few more details that we trust will help
- The 100 days are for the entire season, regardless of open or close dates
- The credit is based on number of days open, not on your pass usage
- Credits will be applied to next year’s pass purchase
- When there is a significant snow fall, the mountain will re-open - at which time the 1% credit re-calculates accordingly

We're still doing the snow dance – hoping you are too.

We look forward to re-opening very soon.

For further information or if you have questions - please email: seasonspass@mountwashington.ca

Know it all.

#29 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

So they are closing - but they might reopen still in the days/weeks to come if they get dumped upon - right?!

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Yes, that's the plan. It's probably better to close the mountain than turn away unhappy skiers for days on end who spent hours driving up to Courtney.

Know it all.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Man that's a confusing press release and I'm not too stupid. The part where they say there will be some questions is really a muddle.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

^Really? Seemed pretty straight forward to me. What was confusing?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#33 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

100 days of 30% open terrain and you still have to pay 100% of the value of 100% open terrain. I appreciate their gesture but it seems brutal. They have been charging $60 for skiing rocks the last few days. They haven't addressed the six pack and corporate ticket holders. If they want to work within the world of percentages, I want to pay on a open skiable acreage formula.

#34 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

^ Makes it much harder to sell the resort when they have a big contingent liability to the new owners.

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

The inversion, a weather phenomenon where temperatures actually rise with elevation, brought temperatures as high as 16C to Mount Washington's alpine. This warm weather event, coupled with the lowest three-month snowfall totals since the resort opened in 1979, proved too much to handle for the mountain's snowpack.

http://www.mountwash...l?releaseID=247

#36 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

For every day below 100 days that we are unable to open, Mount Washington Alpine Resort will provide our season pass holders a credit worth 1% towards the purchase of the equivalent pass next season.

Yes, very confusing formula statement. But it makes sense upon some reflection. So far they were only open 15 days this season, so current pass holders get 85% credit towards next year's pass if they never open again this year. If they end up reopening Feb 15 - April 30 (75 days), then current pass holders will get 10% off next year.

They have a statement on the website that after March 31 they will make some sort of decision regarding how (if) to compensate 6-pack holders.

As for the nordic trails, looks like they still have some terrain open.

Edited by geekthegreek, 31 January 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#37 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

The money in most ski resorts these days is in the development of the land, the ski hill tends to be almost a loss leader.   In the late 70s we had a series of had winters for ski hills on the south coast and this drove a number of them into bankruptcy at the time.  I am not sure if that would happen now in the same way.

#38 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

Yes, very confusing formula statement. But it makes sense upon some reflection. So far they were only open 15 days this season, so current pass holders get 85% credit towards next year's pass if they never open again this year. If they end up reopening Feb 15 - April 30 (75 days), then current pass holders will get 10% off next year.

They have a statement on the website that after March 31 they will make some sort of decision regarding how (if) to compensate 6-pack holders.

As for the nordic trails, looks like they still have some terrain open.

My trouble with the formula is why is it being discounted a full 1% per day. The ski hill only achieved like a 40% opening, so why is 1% off full price being deducted. It's like when they offered lift tickets "50% for the next 5 days", how is it 50% off full price when the mountain was only 20% open at the time...to me, it's a little dishonest but alas, they are a business.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

The closure of Mt. Washington must be devastating for the Courtenay/Comox economy. Hundreds are not working, tourists are not passing through and many indirect services are going unneeded.

Courtenay tourism should be pumping the south Island full of marketing to lure people to that part of the Island but I haven't seen a single smidgen of marketing anywhere.

The Comox Valley is a nice place to check out, particularly this winter with so much sunshine and warmer than normal weather.

Know it all.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Courtenay tourism should be pumping the south Island full of marketing to lure people to that part of the Island but I haven't seen a single smidgen of marketing anywhere.

The Comox Valley is a nice place to check out, particularly this winter with so much sunshine and warmer than normal weather.

That might be a bit of throwing good money after bad.  Maybe some extra summer marketing is in order, but not February tourism advertising.  That's a bit like advertising for Christmas gifts in July.  Your ROI will be poor, no matter how hard you try.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users