Photo

Urban Gentrification

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Is Gentrification worth it? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Gentrification worth it?

1. Yes, it is (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No, it is not (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Yes, No Depends on Circumstance (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

I just want to gather a few thoughts on the positives and negatives of Gentrification and the forces behind it. Hopefully we can get a decent discussion going here on the topic.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

I don't think Victoria's experience the kind of gentrification experienced by places like Brooklyn or even Vancouver.

Part of it I think is that our old buildings downtown never really were inhabited by low end renters like other cities. For example, an old factory or loft closes down, squatters, artists, clubs or cheap renters move in, and eventually it becomes trendy and they are converted to condos. In Victoria it seems we went from the factory/loft era to decades of abandonment and vacancy or simply storage space (Kramer buildings) and only then does the condo conversion come.

Exceptions might be parts of Rock Bay which seem to have been continuously inhabited for the most part with some buildings becoming quite desirable and rents and prices increasing accordingly. For a time it still held the stigma of being the wrong end of town. Artists and musicians found large areas to be creative in.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users