Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1421 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

I agree that the Westshore Parkway light is contributing to the ridiculous traffic jam.

It's apparent that the Leigh Road on-ramp is also designed to get folks from Florence Lake onto the Island Highway heading North ... but is being majorly abused by traffic from Victoria.

Combined with the two lane into one lane merge ... it's a needless traffic disaster.

But as might be expected, there's absolutely nothing going on currently to fix it ... it's just accepted by the powers that be as another incredibly bad design causing endless grief for the folks who live in the region.

Further, what on earth is going to happen when the Parkway is completed, potentially increasing traffic 100 fold going North on the Highway by turning left onto the Highway from the Parkway traffic light?

It makes you wonder who on earth designed these "traffic flows" ... but more importantly, who is paying attention to them today in order to fix these obviously very broken roadway designs?

Edited by Cassidy, 03 July 2017 - 08:53 AM.

• rjag likes this

#1422 DFossum

DFossum
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

They could punch through two lanes to I've cream mountain just north of West Shore pway intersection and it would only help a bit, even an overpass there would only do so much as it's the practical end of the highway until you get past finlayson arm.

The handful of people who jump the queue at the shell station arent hurting anything in the long term as traffic backs up to the Leigh rd northern off ramp on its own.
  • Mike K. and DFossum like this

#1423 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

But as might be expected, there's absolutely nothing going on currently to fix it ... it's just accepted by the powers that be as another incredibly bad design causing endless grief for the folks who live in the region.

An easy temporary fix would be to install BARRIERS until the Westshore Parkway is completed, and then see if the problem is rectified.

Leigh Road.jpg

#1424 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

I agree that the Westshore Parkway light is contributing to the ridiculous traffic jam.
It's apparent that the Leigh Road on-ramp is also designed to get folks from Florence Lake onto the Island Highway heading North ... but is being majorly abused by traffic from Victoria.
Combined with the two lane into one lane merge ... it's a needless traffic disaster.

Further, what on earth is going to happen when the Parkway is completed, potentially increasing traffic 100 fold going North on the Highway by turning left onto the Highway from the Parkway traffic light?

It makes you wonder who on earth designed these "traffic flows" ... but more importantly, who is paying attention to them today in order to fix these obviously very broken roadway designs?

well if all those victoria Saanich and other from in town stayed away from langford the traffic would be fine but they can't stay away too many shopping places and recreation places in langford and cheap places to live and way less crime ...no homeless camping everywhere and no beggars at every street corner and atm

Edited by HB, 03 July 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#1425 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

They could punch through two lanes to I've cream mountain just north of West Shore pway intersection and it would only help a bit, even an overpass there would only do so much as it's the practical end of the highway until you get past finlayson arm.

The handful of people who jump the queue at the shell station arent hurting anything in the long term as traffic backs up to the Leigh rd northern off ramp on its own.

Yup.

It's all basically related to the 60km/h section through the park.

The way congestion materializes on a freeway is several vehicles slow to a new speed which them causes an effect that will see subsequent waves of vehicles slow down even further, until you have a near crawl or a standstill. That's just how things work when you have very high volumes for an indequately sized highway (single lane past Leigh).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1426 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

It would appear to me that everyone is going through Langford to get up island (not stopping) that is causing this backup though, correct.
  • Nparker and jonny like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1427 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

Yup.

It's all basically related to the 60km/h section through the park.

Sorry Mike have to disagree, its the traffic light at the end of the single lane by Westshore Parkway. Once you are through the light then its smooth sailing even if it is artificially suppressed at 60km/h to keep the safety nannies happy. 

Its pure volume as well, for the only major road leaving a metro are of 350,000 its an embarrassment to have a single lane.....maybe Premier designate Horgan will continue what his predecessors started but didnt finish......but I highly doubt that.

• Nparker likes this

#1428 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

It's dozens of cars each minute, not a "handful" I'm afraid.

The snake of cars taking the "detour" is pretty much non-stop from the gas station, all the way along McCallum Road to Leigh Road, then all the way down the North on-ramp back onto the highway, the highway they just left moments ago.

That they're not hurting anything depends on your opinion on the fact that they're exacerbating, if not causing the traffic jam which is stopping traffic for half an hour to 40 minutes on the ISLAND HIGHWAY, the major thoroughfare out of Victoria!

#1429 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

An easy temporary fix would be to install BARRIERS until the Westshore Parkway is completed, and then see if the problem is rectified.

These folks are exiting the Highway onto McCallum Road though, not the off-ramp.

These miscreants are quite crafty, and most of them obviously know the "detour" route well in advance of getting there, as it's not terribly obvious to somebody who hasn't seen where McCallum Road actually goes.

#1430 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

well if all those victoria Saanich and other from in town stayed away from langford the traffic would be fine but they can't stay away too many shopping places and recreation places in langford and cheap places to live and way less crime ...no homeless camping everywhere and no beggars at every street corner and atm

This is strictly related to traffic heading up island, with the exception of perhaps 1% to 2% of the cars turning left off the highway into Goldstream Village.

We're talking up to 3000 cars per hour at peak volume on the Island Highway - far in excess of anything related to local access.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1431 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

These folks are exiting the Highway onto McCallum Road though, not the off-ramp.

These miscreants are quite crafty, and most of them obviously know the "detour" route well in advance of getting there, as it's not terribly obvious to somebody who hasn't seen where McCallum Road actually goes.

The backup only happens during summer construction on the Malahat which is the cause of the problem. The solution is to stop the construction that never solves anything. I'd be ok with turning it into a separated 4 lane highway but everything else is just a joke that only makes the highway awful to use in the summer.

#1432 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

That's because they and every district send their homeless problem to downtown Victoria. And actually the traffic isnt being caused by people from Saanich and Victoria, it's being caused by people living in the westshore and commuting back and forth.
  • Nparker and Kungsberg like this

#1433 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

When the Leigh road is completed to Bear Mountain area this fall people would want to take the off ramp to go up Bear Mountain Parkway. If there are people blocking the intersection because there is no place for them to go when the light turns green for them that will be very annoying for people trying to use the off ramp for it's intended purpose. All it would take is a "No Through Traffic" sign, left or right turns only to solve that problem.

On Friday afternoon I went into the Westshore to pick up a couple of things and traffic was just nuts all over. So I thought I would be smart on my return and take Leigh road back rather than Millstream. I went up Jacklin, turned left onto Goldstream and went down to Leigh road, well kinda. It took 15 minutes to get off Goldstream onto Leigh road. Fortunately when I got on Leigh road it was just a couple of minutes until most people got into the left turn lane and I could continue on.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1434 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

A few things I thought I would mention:

The bc government announced 4 laning between Leigh Road to Goldstream Park:
https://news.gov.bc.....cg_n=HootSuite

Also the current malahat construction is to 4 lane and divide the highway between just south of Aspen Road to the Shawigan Lake exit.
  • Kungsberg likes this

#1435 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

The backup only happens during summer construction on the Malahat which is the cause of the problem. The solution is to stop the construction that never solves anything. I'd be ok with turning it into a separated 4 lane highway but everything else is just a joke that only makes the highway awful to use in the summer.

The backup used to happen every Friday, but now it's happening on a regular basis.  It typically doesn't backup all the way to construction on the Malihat, but might temporarily for the current work being done.

The best way to promote massive construction is to do nothing, ignore it, and declare that it doesn't solve anything.  Then you end up with an electoral area infuriated enough to make it a panic for elected officials.   

#1436 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

It would appear to me that everyone is going through Langford to get up island (not stopping) that is causing this backup though, correct.

Up island has been around for eons but Langford not long at all in the scheme of things, so Langford needs to stop encroaching on the road to up island and get busy getting the E&N Railway running if they want to help the situation.

#1437 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Well none of this would be an issue if they hadn't decided to build the interchange, as it would keep all the congestion back at McKenzie to give the congestion at Leigh time to move along.

#1438 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Up island has been around for eons but Langford not long at all in the scheme of things, so Langford needs to stop encroaching on the road to up island and get busy getting the E&N Railway running if they want to help the situation.

I agree on the E&N but with 30 years of blocking development elsewhere, you can't blame families for moving somewhere they can afford.  How is this any different than the encroachment from Saanich and View Royal?

Well none of this would be an issue if they hadn't decided to build the interchange, as it would keep all the congestion back at McKenzie to give the congestion at Leigh time to move along.

It was backed up long long before the interchange work started.....  You have a point though.  Should be interesting to see what happens.

#1439 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:27 AM

But don they really want to help?

#1440 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:27 AM

But don they really want to help?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users