[Vic West] BMW / Mini dealership | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

$4M or so, I'll try to dig up the actual listing...

Street View

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'd guess that's a prime location.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

Wow, that's a profoundly key piece of property right now. I think the City should snatch it up right now before someone else does and proposes something that could interfere with future plans. They could always subdivide anything unwanted or do a swap with other nearby waterfront (which will likely be redeveloped anyway.)
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Word on the street is that the land is contaminated (a la Dockside and most of the Vic West shoreline)...or *was* until it was cleaned up in the past to the since-changed-and-now-more-stringent BC Environmental Assessment standards. This is all good as long as any development/building occurs on the existing building footprint (not unlike a grandfathered-in setback).

Apparently, if the building footprint changes (ie, knock down the warehouse and build some towers or what have you), then apparently the BCEA Certificate of Compliance is re-opened and the land would then have to be brought up to current standards.

That could be some pricey fun....

#5 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

I believe Great West Life is the current owner. They had wanted to build condos on the site during the boom, but had given up a few years ago when the market started to collapse

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

VIC WEST INDUSTRIAL SITE UP FOR SALE

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=12019

Jan 14, 2010

A HIGH PROFILE INDUSTRIAL PROPERTY IN VIC WEST IS UP FOR SALE...ASKING PRICE 4 1/4 MILLION DOLLARS.

[...]

#7 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

fwiw, 3 men in black suits walking around at 2pm today...

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

http://img.allposter...02/XB2FD00Z.jpg

#9 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

This would be an ideal site for something touristy like the kids museum or the wax museum.
4.25 mill did seem kind of cheap...the clean up would explain that. If I won the lotto I would buy it and leave it mostly as it is and then turn it in to be the 'Victoria Flea Market'

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

This would be an ideal site for something touristy like the kids museum or the wax museum.

Oh, I dunno. It's hard enough to get tourists to walk all the way to Chinatown, I don't think they'll cross a bridge to get to a place they can not see from the downtown side.

Didn't the train guy bemoan the fact he got no walk-up traffic? And he had a train car staring at people across the big Wharf/Pandora/Johnson intersection.

#11 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Build it and they will come

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

Build it and they will come

BC Experience?

#13 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

I think that the Wax Museum has been around long enough to have proven itself as a viable tourist attraction. People are willing to drive forty minutes out a highway, past an industrial zone and down a windy road to see a garden. If they had an interest in wax figures they would probably be willing to walk over an old decrepit bridge to get to a museum, especially if there was a continuous waterfront walk way to get there.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

I think that the Wax Museum has been around long enough to have proven itself as a viable tourist attraction. People are willing to drive forty minutes out a highway, past an industrial zone and down a windy road to see a garden. If they had an interest in wax figures they would probably be willing to walk over an old decrepit bridge to get to a museum, especially if there was a continuous waterfront walk way to get there.

Maybe if part of the property was a phone-booth museum. resssen, you're in charge of exhibit procurement. ;)

#15 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

I saw 2 "suits", each with a cell glued to an ear and their black Benz there this morning.
Collier's still lists it for sale at $4.25M

#16 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

A development permit for this property will be considered by the Land Use & Planning Committee on Thursday. I wonder what's proposed for this site...?

#17 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

A development permit for this property will be considered by the Land Use & Planning Committee on Thursday. I wonder what's proposed for this site...?

BMW / Mini dealership using existing building footprint

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

YES! A near-waterfront car dealership! In all seriousness though, if no other buyer has grander dreams, I say go for it, it's private property....
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

Passed whatever vote they had this morning.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hardly an ideal location in my opinion, but no one else was offering to do anything.

The land should have remained industrial and not been available to be used for non industrial uses unless at least as much land was made available elsewhere in the CRD for industrial uses.

The one upside is that this means one less car dealer on Yates, one assumes some higher and better use will be made of the existing car lot at Yates and Cook

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users