Photo

Rock Bay Bottle Depot

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

Seems like an alright spot. There is a lot of underused land around there.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Seems like an alright spot. There is a lot of underused land around there.

It will be in at least part of the freighways building already there. Their lease is up in September.

#23 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

Well you know, bottle depots are a magnet for development. Or not.

#24 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Don't know why you make it so complicated or inefficient, but back in old europe (where I come from :eek:), you just bring back your empty bottles to the shop :rolleyes: Any shop who sells bottled drinks has to take back the empty bottles, that easy.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

You can do that here too but not a van load of them.

#26 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

The problem is, and I assume this is typical, is that you buy new beverages and never think about returning them until I have a mountain of them in the basement and they are taking up too much space. When I do a run to the Bottle Depot I always get around $20 for my returns. Safeway, Thriftys, etc will tell me to get lost if I try to return that much even if I bought them all there.

#27 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

New downtown bottle depot is scheduled to go somewhere around here.

Yeah and the Mustard Seed Food Bank is at 625 Queens Ave. That's not mentioned in the article. :rolleyes:

Bottle depot moving to Rock Bay

Operation has been under pressure to relocate from core

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist May 13, 2010

http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0npf7OaSn

The controversial bottle depot in downtown Victoria appears headed to 655 Queens Ave. in Rock Bay.
"It's my understanding that that is where they are headed," said Mayor Dean Fortin.[...]

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Yeah and the Mustard Seed Food Bank is at 625 Queens Ave. That's not mentioned in the article. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with that? The binners are more likely to use the food bank than buy groceries at The Market on Yates, near the old location.

#29 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

What's wrong with that? The binners are more likely to use the food bank than buy groceries at The Market on Yates, near the old location.

I'm not talking about the binners. I'm talking about the clients who already frequent the food bank. Mainly families.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm not talking about the binners. I'm talking about the clients who already frequent the food bank. Mainly families.

Many families shop at London Drugs and The Market. Are they better equipped to step over and around the binners than the families using the food bank? The binners on View were disturbing residential and office-dwellers. At least there are none of them on Queens.

#31 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

Many families shop at London Drugs and The Market. Are they better equipped to step over and around the binners than the families using the food bank? The binners on View were disturbing residential and office-dwellers. At least there are none of them on Queens.

:rolleyes:

#32 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

Looks like they are still renovating on Queens. Right between Budget Car Sales and the Food Bank.... Sorry but if I owned/worked for a Bar or Restaurant and had to take in recycling I am looking for Location B or C to take them. That street is very scattered with needles and daytime hookers :( . Have not seen a influx of shopping carts yet

Going to be a tougher sell in my opinion to put anything in the NOW furniture building...

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

Bottle Depot move to Rock Bay delayed

By Robert Randall • Published on Monday, November 15, 2010

Harris Green’s troubled Bottle Depot has delayed its move across town to Queens Avenue.

A depot employee says the planned November 1 opening of the new depot at 655 Queens Avenue has been put off until November 22 at the earliest due to problems getting the new outlet ready in time.

more...

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

Took some cans back to the depot on Quadra a couple of days ago with a friend (he's the pop drinker, not me). The place was filthy, ceiling tiles were falling in and not to mention in the summer it is infested with swarms of wasps. I had to get out of there because the smashing bottles were so loud.

I can't imagine they have much of an operating budget for upkeep.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

The most filthy place I have ever been in is an underground public washroom in Bucharest, Romania in 1993. The second worst is probably the Quadra Bottle Depot. The Glanford depot is bright and clean.

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

Now that's saying something.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#37 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

The most filthy place I have ever been in is an underground public washroom in Bucharest, Romania in 1993. The second worst is probably the Quadra Bottle Depot. The Glanford depot is bright and clean.

That's gotta be the gold standard!

#38 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

I had to get out of there because the smashing bottles were so loud.

I actually agree with anyone that complains about the noise coming from there and I rarely agree with nimby's (particularly those that move in somewhere and then ***** about something that existed before they arrived) but I think they have a point because there must be some people that live near the downtown depot before they opened that have had to listen to that constant, incredibly loud sound of crashing bottles ever since. I wouldn't even call them nimby's, more like reasonable, normal people.
In chains by Keynes

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=16346

Moved.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,068 posts

Posted 04 November 2023 - 06:30 AM

As cost of living soars, millions of Canadians are turning to food banks

New report from Food Banks Canada shows highest numbers since it began collecting data in 1989

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eport-1.7006464

The annual HungerCount report is based on surveys sent to food security organizations, tracking their usage in the month of March. This year's report found that nearly two million people — including more employed people than ever — used food banks March 2023 alone.

One also suspects the number of food banks that require registration and/or means testing is also at an all-time high.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2023 - 06:31 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users