• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

I read in the Victoria news today that the VPD is seeking reimbursement for the $220,000 in OT they paid out to protect the torch relay.

Saanich Mayor Frank Lenoard said that they will not be seeking reimbursement stating that it was "the cost of law and order in the town".

What do you guys think about it? Personally I feel that the police exist to protect events such as this and shouldn't bee seeking extra compensation from event organizers. They need to budget for major events and call it a cost of doing business.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

^ I found it kind of whiny on the part of the Mayor but that is just me.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

Shouldn't it be that worked out ahead of time? They could have refused the relay if they wanted to, I don't think VANOC would have brought it through our town without the blessing of the City.

$220,000? At $60/hr that's 3666 man-hours, or 76 guys x 48 straight hours. Christ.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

I'd like to make $60 per hour :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

[...]
http://www.bclocalne...s/82187617.html

The Victoria Police Department incurred $220,000 in overtime and other expenses while monitoring protests for 12 hours. This does not include regular wages.

Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard, however, disagrees with the principle of seeking reimbursement

“It was always said ahead of time that everyone was on their own hook (for policing),” he said. “I think that’s the same across the county, not just Greater Victoria.”

Saanich Police Department paid $14,000 in overtime costs related to the torch relay.

[...]

OK, now I don't feel so bad, it was 12 hours. So that's $18,333 per hour, or the equivalent of 305 guys at $60/hr. We don't even have 305 cops. Did we pay for the two helicopters?

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

Agree with VHF in that if overtime was to be sought then it should have been arranged ahead of time. Perhaps VPD needs some work to get its planning and overtime in order though. If Saanich paid $14K in overtime it seems like $220K for Victoria is a little high!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users