Photo

Brentwood Bay Lodge | Brentwood Bay

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

^I think Jada was being self-deprecating.
Went to the pub portion a a few months ago, and it was fine. I hope to stay there night next month - what's the pool like?

#22 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

The pool looks beautiful and it was heated and available in February. There is also an outdoor jacuzzi.

#23 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:22 PM

The food is fantastic. Soon after it opened I had lunch there with a friend - a few days later I got on an airplane to go back east and found the place featured in the airline magazine!

I will always feel nostalgic for the funky motel that was on the site previously, nestled in to the slope. I spent a night there a few years ago during a difficult break-up. I knew that if I stayed at home the phone would be ringing every hour and to escape I drove up to Brentwood Bay and stayed there - checking my phone messages and wallowing in misery.........

I would not call this area the boonies! Today (Easter Sunday) I spent much of the day at Butchart' Gardens and driving the peninsula and there are stunning vistas there.
Pieta VanDyke

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

I would not call this area the boonies! Today (Easter Sunday) I spent much of the day at Butchart' Gardens and driving the peninsula and there are stunning vistas there.

Absolutely! I can't believe how many Victorians have no idea how different the peninsula's terrain is. All they ever see is the highway, the airport, a bit of Sidney and the ferry terminal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

Brentwood Bay is a beautiful area. They filmed a bit of X-Men 3 out there. I believe the Phoenix rose out of Brentwood Bay.

The Brentwood Bay Lodge is easy to find -- just follow the signs as if you were headed to the Mill Bay Ferry because it's right next to the ferry terminal.

#26 cluseau

cluseau
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

I had the misfortune of going to the pub at the lodge for dinner a few weeks ago. To be clear, the lodge also has a restaurant, which I have eaten at before, and it was fine. But it's been a while and we thought we'd go back but didn't want the refined cuisine.

The pub was fairly busy, and we sat outside. The service was bad- no the service was terrible. I haven't had service this bad in Victoria in recent memory. The waitress(es) have to be flagged if you want anything, drinks took 25 mins to arrive and EVERY dish for EVERY table that was sent out resulted in servers walking from table to table - "Is this yours?"

And they practically LIE about their food. They have a "barbecue" section to the menu where they explain that they have a barbecue and here are the foods prepared on the barbecue (steak etc). I spied ribs ($25!!!) and rather fancied them so ordered. They were NOT barbecued, they were baked. Over baked. And cold.

The other 5 people I had dinner with all had issues with the quality of the food. All agreed the service was utterly deplorable and the food was WAY over-priced.

So don't go to the Brentwood Bay Lodge Pub. It's terrible. I just hope the restaurant side hasn't been infected by the pub, but am too afraid to find out.

#27 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

Been to the pub a few times. I can't say it was a memorable experience, but it wasn't horrible like yours.
^Crappy you had such a bad experience.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Went to the pub once about 5 months ago. Service was ok (although it wasn't busy), but no way the food justified the prices charged (in my opinion).

You get a much better meal for less money down the street at Carden Street.

#29 duvaroo

duvaroo
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

We have been to the pub (or should I say dragged) a number of times now. This last time was about two weeks ago, and I will never go back.

The food is expensive and just okay. The service is hands down the worst I've had any where in Victoria. Once we actually had to go to the bar and ask for a server to be sent to our table. We waited 30 minutes to get menus and the place was empty. I would have left but we drove all the way out there and I was starving.

Last time we were there, they ran out of chicken wings, on wing night. Which isn't the end of the world but they took orders for them, then when they brought some of the tables food, they then informed us they had run out of wings. Leaving half the table with dinner, and the rest just ordering.

I would rather have not gone back after the first time, but we have friends that live out there and for some reason they really like it. Now they're going to have to find some other suckers to spend their money there!

#30 riversticks80

riversticks80
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

I have been here several times for lunch and it was all right but way overpriced. I have ordered the scallop feticcine both times but my husband ordered a couple of different items and was not impressed. He said the sushi was good but it was very expensive!! I went for breakfast once and while it tasted all right it was definetly not worth the price we paid!!!

I hear things have gone downhill there over the past couple of months. They used to make in house bread and sausages and now they have decided to not do this anymore. They have lost a bunch of their staff recently and haven't done much hiring since. I will probably not go to this restaurant again.

#31 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

I've been to the pub a number of times over the past year or so and the service has been slow and inattentive as hell every time.

The restaurant side has been quite nice though (I've been there twice), but definitely pricey. Their sushi bar is great in my opinion.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

Brentwood makeover rolls along

Hotel ownership group continues careful expansion program

By Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist
March 25, 2010 1:12 AM

Six years after the Brentwood Bay Lodge and Spa opened its doors near the Brentwood Bay ferry terminal, the hotel has settled into a successful routine, but doesn't intend to rest on its laurels.

As the finishing touches are put on the hotel's high-end Ocean Villas development right beside the lodge, the ownership group behind Brentwood Bay is now turning its attention to the small commercial strip along Verdier Avenue leading to the ferry.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0jB7fTWQg

#33 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

This time the server was attentive unlike previous visits where nobody would tend to a table for 20 minutes at a time, even with few patrons in the pub.

But good service doesn't mean good food. I ordered a wrap that was very small compared to wraps at other restaurants. And it had no taste. None at all. And the soup tasted like something straight out of a can. Needless to say paying $13 for that meal made for a real disappointment.

It is hard to believe how sad Victoria's restaurant scene is. We have no real chefs here other than at a few locations. The vast majority of eating establishments hire people who squeeze through a culinary school and have no talent at what they are doing.

I would liken the food makers in Victoria to bank tellers. They are trained at the basics and that's all they know.

Overall a big thumbs down for this place.

#34 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Agree with you vicbooster. There are a few good restaurants in town but nothing that comes close to the variety or range of quality eateries like you would have in Vancouver or Seattle.

#35 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,166 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:06 AM

It's not fair to compare Victoria to either Vancouver or Seattle. We just don't have the population to support the level of excellent 50 seat restaurants either of those cities do. It's arguable that we are at capacity.

Both of those fair cities have their share of mid-range family restaurants as well, I just think the numbers scale up. More population, bigger area equals more great restaurants and more mediocre ones too. More of everything.

If you want more talented chefs to come you need to spend more money eating at your local restaurant.

Matt.

#36 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:32 AM

Yes, i agree. Per capita, I bet Victoria is on par or ahead of either Seattle or vancouver.

#37 Wally

Wally
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

The real problem is that people in Victoria are cheap. They complain about having to pay more than $25 for an entree just like they complain about having to pay $75/hr to get their computer fixed or $150 an hour for any type of professional service. Lots of retired people now on fixed incomes as well who are just as happy with the $19 4 course Tuscan special as they are with real food.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

^ Yup, I think that's part of it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

I decided to drive up and hang out on the Brentwood Bay Lodge pub's patio yesterday for lunch and I was impressed with my burger and fries. Service was also much improved from when I was last there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,162 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

^ We like this place. It's not cheap, but always nice. When we go up island, we always like to arrive an hour or so before the ferry we want to catch, and have a pint and a sandwich before the ferry ride.

They have a good sushi selection and hot Sake as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users