30-33 sq. ft. + $12 costs/taxes.

*** PDF brochure

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

^ Seems to be catering to ghosts.

On a serious note. Why in the year 2010 are we still building a building where the stores are oriented to the parking lot and not the sidewalk??? Couldn't they have at least done both?

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

So there would be a stone fence along the McKenzie Ave. sidewalk?

You'd think Victoria's streets were 14-lane freeways, the way so many newer buildings are designed to shy away from them.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

So there would be a stone fence along the McKenzie Ave. sidewalk?

You'd think Victoria's streets were 14-lane freeways, the way so many newer buildings are designed to shy away from them.

It doesn't front onto McKenzie. It's behind the Petro-Canada gas station that is on that corner.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

My mistake. I thought it was going to replace the gas station.

#6 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

You can see the application sign here:

http://maps.google.c...2,83.64,,2,3.02

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

They are still trying to get the preleasing done, I would expect to see action on this job maybe this summer.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

Too bad because this project is a failure.

#9 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

what do you expect for a building at Shelbourne and McKenzie.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

what do you expect for a building at Shelbourne and McKenzie.

Touche. :D

Yes, the oddest collection of strange buildings in town, on all 3 corners, now just waiting to complete the set.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

Touche. :D

Yes, the oddest collection of strange buildings in town, on all 3 corners, now just waiting to complete the set.

Now that I think about it, Gordon Head is good at strange office/retail. Look one block further down at Feltham and Shelbourne. A very strangely shaped retail/office building on the NW corner, than across the street two strip malls back-to-back, next to one of the very few mid-sized independent food stores in town (Western Foods, Helmcken Market come to mind as others).

#12 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

On a serious note. Why in the year 2010 are we still building a building where the stores are oriented to the parking lot and not the sidewalk???

There isn't a whole lot of street frontage to work with on that site.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:28 AM

Work is expected to start next month on the bare lot at 3959 Shelbourne St., near McKenzie Ave., and across from University Heights Shopping Centre. Farmer Construction was low bidder as general contractor for the four-storey office building with possible restaurant and pub going on the ground floor. Praxis Architects have been leading the $6-million project. There's more information on local projects at YellowSheet.ca or call 250-480-123.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1Bm3MmP7Z
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 Lorne Carnes

Lorne Carnes
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

[quote name='G-Man']^ Seems to be catering to ghosts.

Perhaps for a good reason.

There used to be a very queer little cottage on this site buried behind a very mature, overgrown garden. I often walked past it as a kid and wondered at the the little square room on top. When the place came up for sale a couple of years ago I contacted the agent.

We'd contemplated knocking our 50's house down and replacing it with a recycled character building. As this land was zoned commercial the vendor was quite open to giving me the building for a buck.

When I dropped by to survey and take photos I surprised a guy with a truck and trailer systematically stripping out the place. He dropped the dog theme living room fireplace grate and beetled off.

Squatters had already broken in and trashed everything. When they cut out the copper they failed to turn the water off and the basement had flooded 4ft deep. A chest freezer, still plugged in, was bobbing at the foot of the stairs.

As it turns out the place had been added onto a number of times and would not have been be a good candidate for moving.

I took a bunch of reference shots until I found the small staircase to the folly upstairs. It was just a simple square room with a built in dresser unit. Each wall offered a small window overlooking the garden. It was a very warm August afternoon and the space was stinking hot, so I can't imagine anyone ever slept there. Really gave me the willies.

The story was that the gentleman owner had passed away and his Executor was very anxious that no one else should live in the house. Evidently he was quite an eccentric with Hollywood connections. Perfect place to come back and haunt I would have thought.

#15 Lorne Carnes

Lorne Carnes
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

#16 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

I notice how the brochure mentions the cars per day but not the huge number of bus passengers who get on/off buses right there, forming a natural audience for any restaurant/cafe.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

Thanks, Lorne for that great story. Here's a photo posting tutorial:

http://vibrantvictor...cement.php?f=64

I regret not taking a photo of this house when I had the chance. I'd love to see shots of that interior.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

I grew up in that 'hood. Always was a strange house. "...buried behind a very mature, overgrown garden" is bang on.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

Another odd house of my youth is this one. I think it was under construction from at least as late as 1972 until at least 1985. Real rock walls.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Another odd house of my youth is this one. I think it was under construction from at least as late as 1972 until at least 1985. Real rock walls.

Looks like it has been cleaned up a bit, the last I remember it it was looking like it was ready to be torn down. Or at least I think it was that one.

Nice big pool in the back yard too

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users