Where do you buy your groceries?

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#281 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

I use thrifty points to reduce my bill and for flights I use alaska air miles.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#282 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

Edit

It has a whole new look!

#283 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

But if you don't use air miles seems like little point.

A bit off topic, but this is a double post, and I seem to be currently experiencing the site to be running slowly, so wondering if that has caused this wardrobe malfunction.

• Matt R. likes this

#284 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Yikes another double posting.

#285 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

EDIT - double post

Edited by bluefox, 30 July 2014 - 10:27 PM.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#286 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

I think this was a VERY dumb marketing move by Thrifty's. What better loyalty builder than a card in your wallet with the store's name on it? Safeway, Save-on and now Quality Foods all have their own loyalty cards. Now it will just be a generic Air Miles card, which I don't have and don't want. And how is having that card among other than others going to remind me to shop at Thriftys?

Safeway has since terminated their Club Card program and moved to a single price structure in store. They still offer Air Miles, and you can see how Sobeys' acquisitions of other Air Miles partner retailers in that category have helped drive the creation of an "Air Miles grocery chain" of sorts, since they now hold the rights to the program everywhere except Ontario, where those rights are still held by Metro.

To me, this is just a company aiming for some consistency across their different brands.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#287 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

... for flights I use alaska air miles.

It doesn't appear that Air Canada or WestJet is one of their partners

#288 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

You know you can use Airmiles for any carrier... They have a travel company... Airmiles Vacations.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#289 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Also they convert to cash now as well. 95 air miles is 10 of in gas at Shell. 10 of at Cineplex... And more. Plus other item you can purchase in the catalog with Airmiles. I accumulate about 10,000 a year with my various double dip skems. I hope Thrifty's fills the void for all my lost Safeway miles. A mile had a "cash" value of .20-.30 each depending on how you use them. They bought me a week goes two in Cancun a couple of years back.

#290 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Before their cash gimmick it was 175 air miles for $20 in gas. Then when they switched you couldn't get the gas card unless you switched your point collecting to cash rewards and you had to start from zero.

Complete sham.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#291 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

It doesn't appear that Air Canada or WestJet is one of their partners

Who would want to travel in Canada?

It has a whole new look!

#292 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Quality foods was the first Grocery store in Canada to have a loyalty & Reward card program.

Also the first in Canada to use an App

#293 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Who would want to travel in Canada?

Everybody, that lives here within 10 minutes of the beach.

#294 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Before their cash gimmick it was 175 air miles for $20 in gas. Then when they switched you couldn't get the gas card unless you switched your point collecting to cash rewards and you had to start from zero.

Complete sham.

15 Airmile difference between the two is really not that much of a big deal to call it a sham.

#295 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

The Thrifty rebates we cashed in were comparable to the money we'd get back from buying Co-op gas. I'm not interested in Air Miles. We're also not interested in Save-On's Chevron points since we're Co-op. I'm getting fed up with these points and cards, just sell me some cheap damn groceries.

• Nparker likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#296 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

^ Fairways?

It has a whole new look!

#297 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

^Fairway has an impressive selection in some departments but Mrs. West forbids me from purchasing their seafood. Not that Thrifty is immune to the occasional piece of dodgy seafood. Which reminds me, double check the sticker they put on your seafood purchase. I've had one clerk accidentally ring up the wrong code and stick that on the package.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#298 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

15 Airmile difference between the two is really not that much of a big deal to call it a sham.

It is when you realize all the points you've been saving for a specific purpose are now worthless because you can't redeem them for what you want.

Plus the same value is now 15 Airmiles more expensive which translates to $300 more in purchases.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#299 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thrifties has gone way downhill since the buyout and they as of recently are dead to me for Save-On. But as a long time Airmiles user, I am going to be torn. I have cashed in Airmiles for many flights and goods. I have an Air Miles CC and collect Airmiles everytime I make a bank transaction including debit payment. I also collect Air Miles thru gas purchases at Shell.

I am raking in the Airmiles.It's a pretty sweet deal if you do it right.

• Bingo likes this

#300 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

It is when you realize all the points you've been saving for a specific purpose are now worthless because you can't redeem them for what you want.

Plus the same value is now 15 Airmiles more expensive which translates to $300 more in purchases.

A $50 has full up gives me 20 Airmiles at Shell the majority of the time. What do you mean $300 on groceries?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users