4 replies to this topic

#1 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Facelift funding for Intrepid
VICNEWS
http://www.bclocalne...t/89473237.html

With $25,000 from the Department of Canadian Heritage and $20,000 from the B.C. Arts Council, the Victoria company will increase capacity at the Metro Studio from 130 to 200 and make the venue wheelchair friendly.

[...]

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 04:38 PM

When you cross that fine line from woke into full on racism.

BIPOC.png

Imagine the uproar if lower ticket prices were being offered to people with white skin.

#3 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 05:20 PM

When you cross that fine line from woke into full on racism.

Imagine the uproar if lower ticket prices were being offered to people with white skin.

I'm not passing judgement on it, but it's a full-on program instituted by the Office of the B.C. Human Rights Commissioner:

https://bchumanright...ecial-programs/

You'll note on the website linked to that it's noted that without such a bipoc focused program being officially endorsed by the Province of B.C., offering "deals" based skin colour would most definitely be completely illegal.

The premise you're being asked to buy into is that white skinned people aren't historically disadvantaged, although I'm sure we've all known many financially poor, and otherwise disadvantaged and struggling white skinned people.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 06:02 PM

^ Can't see that this would survive a complaint but that is probably not the point. They likely hope to draw attention with the controversy, I won't give it to them.

Almost every Intrepid show has a category open to everyone where they can pay $10 a ticket if they need to. Absolutely no reason why they couldn't have done the same here.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 06:21 PM

...The premise you're being asked to buy into is that white skinned people aren't historically disadvantaged, although I'm sure we've all known many financially poor, and otherwise disadvantaged and struggling white skinned people.

It's also insulting to suggest that all people of colour need some sort of financial assistance when it comes to attending live theatre. I suspect any of the following members of the NDP caucus are more than able to pay the regular admission.

• Harry Bains
  • Jagrup Brar
  • Katrina Chen
  • Raj Chouhan
  • George Chow
  • Ravi Kahlon
  • Anne Kang
  • Bowinn Ma
  • Ravi Parmar
  • Harwinder Sandhu
  • Niki Sharma
  • Rachna Singh