Loveyourlocality.blogspot.com

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Who are these idiots anyway???

I was downtown today and saw posters plastered all over the bus shelter on Douglas at the Bay Centre and at Crystal Gardens (likely others). Twenty or so letter size sheets of paper with photocopied information about local native plants (familiar info - I have the book they were copied from) pasted down with lots of paste - paste slopping over half of the shelter. These are the kind of posters that are impossible to take off. They just weather away and make a mess.

So what is it about? I checked their blogspot. They are a group of university students who want to make us aware of our environment, and have chosen this method to shove their message in our faces. Well, thanks but no thanks. I support your issue. I have the book. But I do not appreciate your putting a blight on the urban environment as a way to shove it in my face!

I've notified the bylaw officer, because there is a bylaw against this kind of thing.
I hope you get busted.
Pieta VanDyke

#2 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

Oh man, Barra - I haven't seen the posters yet, but this morning I did read Bernard's post, The Hubris of Youth, about his days as an activist student at UVic.

Talk about apposite!

And yes, couldn't agree more with being annoyed at people who want to beautify/ save / enlighten the world ...by making it uglier. That is so not cool.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

I saw a poor sod scrapping these off about an hour ago.

What a way to lose supporters.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Crappy blog.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

Stupid kids.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I support your issue. I have the book. But I do not appreciate your putting a blight on the urban environment as a way to shove it in my face!

It's way quicker to paste or staple this sort of litter wherever there's some handy public 'in your face' property, then to actually ask local merchants to allow their notices to be posted inside storefront windows.

jbw

ps. I'm with you of course (I've taken down thousands of those sorts of notices), I don't touch the 'lost pet' ones of course. The paste on ones aren't so bad if you're a bit patient and spray them first with water, or, wait for a rainy day before peeling them off.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria James Bay walker. You have been busy on your first day here.

#8 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria James Bay walker. You have been busy on your first day here.

Thank you (& I assume you're referring to a handful of my recent posts, and not decades of poster removal I've alluded to).

jbw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users