Photo

Southside

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

Anyone remember the old Southside pizza place that was on Broad Street between View and Yates? I used to love their duck & papaya pizza.

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

never heard of it. :?:

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

No, can't remember. What time-frame did it operate in?

That location seems quite close to the Brickyard one block over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:13 AM

Duck and papaya? That's nuts. I 'll try anything once though. That must have been before my time in Vic.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:41 AM

Anyone remember the old Southside pizza place that was on Broad Street between View and Yates? I used to love their duck & papaya pizza.

Shut down in what, '88-90 era yes?

#6 integracious

integracious
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

I remember the Southside. I seem to recall that Al DiFiore and his then wife Bonnie used to own that place. It was very funky and was a bit of a hangout for the artists and Musicians of Victoria. I remember seeing Paul Wainright and Gene Hardy play there. Maybe the Big Band trio too. The deserts were absolutely incredible I recall. I remember also a guy named Syd building an arch out of stone and concrete in front of the restaurant and that he described it as being some kind of a vortex or something like that. The development news around that time was that many citizens were rallying against Cadillac Fairview and the City council of the day who would leave us with what is now known as the Bay Centre. ARRGGHHHHHH. The other hang out for the arts/musician/activists was Jim Lindsay's Cafe Le Dog on Johnson Street where the original John's Sports bar/cafe was.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Can one of the moderators correct my obvious typo in the name of this thread? Clearly I meant SOUTHSIDE, not "southide". Thanks!

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

Ya, I liked the place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users