#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=13235

NEW BIKE RACKS TO BE INSTALLED DOWNTOWN

Apr 14, 2010

20 NEW BIKE PARKING RACKS ARE TO BE INSTALLED IN TWO LOCATIONS IN DOWNTOWN VICTORIA AS PART OF A PILOT PROJECT JUST BEFORE BIKE TO WORK WEEK BEGINS.

THE PILOT BIKE RACK INITIATIVE IS TO ASSESS DEMAND AND DETERMINE IF PERMANENT, COVERED BIKE PARKING FACILITIES SHOULD BE INSTALLED AS A MEANS OF ADDING TO THE DOWNTOWN BIKE PARKING INVENTORY.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

They get rid of most downtown bike parking and feel they need a pilot project to see if they need more?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

All bikes need is a secure post, I don't understand the justification for these extremely expensive plans.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

^ Do you think that by removing the parking meters with the big fat head on them and replacing them with the triangular number posts......bicycle parking downtown has become less secure?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

New Bicycle Racks Open For Business
Two new, on-street, bicycle corrals were installed last week in time for Bike to Work Week. The racks were installed by a partnership involving the DVBA, the City of Victoria, Capital Bike & Walk, Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition, Bike to Work Victoria, and Mountain Equipment Co-op. The two locations were amongst approximately thirty identified in the DVBA's Annual Membership Survey and were selected after a careful review by the participating organizations. One is located in the 700-block of Fort Street and the other is on the 600-block of Johnson. If these racks are consistently used, permanent bike parking facilities will be installed in those locations in the fall.

DVBA press release.

#6 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Yep, bikes need special on-street facilities that take away parking spots rather than just a series of posts and small sidewalk racks.

Seriously, just install a buch of little 2-bike U shaped things along the sidewalk like already installed in some areas.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

I'm OK with it, there are x number of car stalls downtown, it don't make a dent. They built one of them right near the one outside MEC (600-blk Johnson). Maybe the MEC one was already getting used all day long by non-customers.

#8 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:09 AM

After cycling downtown a couple times, can't say I really like the new on-street bike parking. It's too open and exposed and literally right on the street. I much prefer to covered sidewalk bike parking, like the one in front of MEC.

#9 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

I love the new onstreet bike parking. It feels a little exposed but streets are for bikes too, and onstreet parking is common in many cities I have visited. Replacing a single car parking spot for a bunch of bikes seems logical. Btw I came across something odd yesterday in Trounce Alley - an old-style rim-bender bike rack and I almost parked there. It's kinda like a leg-hold trap - beware. And I thought they were outlawed.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

I saw the one on Johnson by Government and it is along the yellow line so it's not taking up a space. Those are the best kinds.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Here is another reason to improve Victoria's cycling paths and lanes.

Swiss health officials have a service where bike messengers deliver condoms to your front door within the hour, if you can wait that long.

Could this concept be behind the upgrading of the Johnson Street Bridge to "lifeline" status?

http://edition.cnn.c...bid=YEiQZoSNpHW

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Public Affairs Media Spokesperson & Social Media Manager for Victoria Police Department Constable Mike Russell (right), and Chief Jamie Graham at the finish line. Constable Russell won this race, on his bike.

More on this challenge: https://vicpd.ca/med...m-2013-commuter
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users